Activision Blizzard Employee Reviews

Fast paced and people friendly
Director Payroll, Finance (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 26, 2018
Recommend for anyone who lives in the immediate area. Great entertainment company with continuous growth opportunity in the gaming and esport industry.
One of the best company to work with
ERP Consultant (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAFebruary 23, 2018
One of the best company to work with, there are ample amount of scope to advance in your career growth.

Colleagues and work culture are most appealing part of the company. Ther work hard and party harder.
Pros
Future roadmap
Great Experience
Desktop Support (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAFebruary 15, 2018
Working for the game industry gives you a wonderful bit of insight into how it works. It is also a very 'ebb and flow' business model so job security can be scary.
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
Mandatory OT and Weekends
Its not work if you're doing what you love.
QA Tester (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNFebruary 13, 2018
Not the greatest pay to start but lots of available overtime to make up for it. Not hard work if you have the right mind for it. Management knows how long a tiresome the process can get and do anything they can to boost moral. free food frequently, and lots of promotional products for game as they come out, movie screenings, and plenty of casual hang out time to relax. its a lot of work and very high competition for positions but they make you feel like your part of something and its more like hanging out with friend than dealing with coworkers.
Pros
Great environment, great people, great perks.
Cons
- Contract positions, nothing full time. Unpredictable schedule with long hours up 7 days a week in crunch time.
Productive and fast pace.
PRODUCTION WORKER II (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 24, 2018
The culture of place was good. Their wasn't to hard projects to do. The most enjoyed part of the day was specking with my co workers. Has far has management they were extreme fair.
Pros
Stable work.
Cons
Not enough overtime.
Administrative Support - Overall Satisfaction
Recruitment Coordinator (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJanuary 23, 2018
Fun company to work for.

Company runs lean, hard work/long hours is the expectation.

Slightly above average compensation, benefits. Perks make up the difference.

Company culture is work hard, play hard.
QA Shop is fun for first job
Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNJanuary 19, 2018
Activision is a ton of fun to work for. This job is not for people who are late in their careers and looking for a livable wage for a family or household, but more for someone just out of High School or summers in between college courses.
Pros
Fun atmosphere, video games all day
Cons
Low pay, long hours
Productive and fun Place to work at.
Senior Business Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 16, 2018
its a great place to be at. The work culture is great and there is a decent work/life balance. there are tons of fun opportunities while at work and a party on every game release.
Not what you think it would be
Functional Tester/QA Senior Tester (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJanuary 3, 2018
Oversee a team of 10-20, depending on the platform being tested. Writing and submitting daily and weekly reports directly to the producer. Delegate test case scenarios to various team members. Making deadlines.
Pros
Fun coworkers
Cons
Long hours, low pay, limited mobility
Grueling and Rewarding
Senior Project Lead, Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CADecember 27, 2017
I found my time at Activision to be a mixed bag. I look back at my initial time there as some of the most formative, "Golden Age" times of my life. I worked with quality people and I enjoyed coming to work each day.

As time moved on and the work changed, so did priorities and the atmosphere. Work became more of a slog and i started to enjoyed the people I was working with and for less and less. Eventually, it became to much stress for not enough pay, and I was literally sleeping under my desk and working for works on end consecutively on a regularly basis.

It can be a reward place to work if you are ambitious and willing to sacrifice a lot for the job. If not it is hard to recommend.
Pros
Free Lunches, Swag, Discounts
Cons
Long Hours, Lack of Compensation and Recognition, No Work/Life Balance
Menial and Unrewarding
Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNNovember 26, 2017
Upper management only cares about the numbers. Only one aspect of the project is noted by upper management, but many parts are required to deliver a finished product. Direct managers are at least competent.
Awesome environment / Low pay
In-game Support Representative (Tier 2) (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 24, 2017
Blizzard is a company I could see myself working for my whole life, but only if I was able to find a better type of job within the company as well as better pay. This is a video game company and the atmosphere matches what you'd expect. It's very laid back and people can be themselves. In fact, it's encouraged. The only two things that drove me away are the pay and the type of work I was doing. I was a customer service representative. Most of the time, you only get to talk to customers that are upset about something, so you need to be someone with a very strong willingness to help, but also very thick skin. The pay was also fairly typical for customer service. You'd only be able to earn a decent salary if you managed to work your way up the ladder to a senior or management role, but you'd have to compete with a lot of other people to do so. There are other departments available, but many of them require the best of the best. You can get there, but it'll be a lot of work.

I'd love to go back eventually. I got my 5 year sword, but I really wanted that 10 year shield!
Pros
Fun atmosphere, game room, freebies
Cons
Competitive advancement, low pay
Grinder
Senior QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNOctober 23, 2017
To put it simply, Activision's QA office is simply nothing more then a grinder. They bring in testers for their seasonal launch windows and then send them on their way. They require degree's for their minimal QA role and then pay on a scale of someone with no educational experience. You can expect extremely limited job advancement as there are only a handful of full time jobs available and they typically only go to those who have developed an 'in' with the management team. This is a job for those in a transitional period of employment.
The employee vibe was amazing.
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAOctober 17, 2017
The employees were wonderful to work with, but management would throw a wrench in the works daily. Sometimes impossible to recover from it. It made everyone question their abilities. Folks proffered not to speak to one another in fear of hearing it from someone that was not suppose to repeat it.
Pros
Events were magnificent it was eat drink and be marry
Cons
The red tape to get things done made one fail even if one was on point.
HR Rules the world-what they say goes
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CASeptember 27, 2017
If you're on the right side with HR, you'll get ahead. If not, they may be limiting your growth potential. They have a lot of power, including with studios. The culture of each studio varies, so I would look at each studio to see what fits you.

It's hard to advance if you're on the corporate side. The studio development side is different and there is more room for advancement.
Fast paced
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Malaga, CASeptember 7, 2017
It was a good job. I enjoyed working there, but at times it felt very fast paced and it was extremely hot in there. They did have lots of fans in there though to make it more bearable. They also gave you water bottles because of how hot it was.
All work and no play.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAAugust 10, 2017
As a huge gamer, ironically I've never had such little free time to play games since working at Activision. The operations tempo and overall demand was ridiculous. Commonly, when ATVI would put on "fun" things for us, it was only the admin staff that had the time to partake. Us in the trenches had to skip the fun or try to get one of our finance buddies to grab us a free t-shirt or ice cream that was being handed out for no particular reason. Working at the main HQ the studios were treated like precious princesses that needed their every whim attended to. AP took a subservient approach to managing their dev ops. Our leaders never knew how to say no, no matter how crazy the request was from the studios. The studios would fall behind and we at the HQ would pay the price trying to play catch-up while in turn the studios would blame us for the overall delay. Pumping out a lame CoD game every year isn't working. Wake up ATVI.
Pros
Gaming culture, flexible hours
Cons
Long hours, no leisure time, horrible management
ATVI was a very energetic environment
Head of Business Development (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAAugust 9, 2017
ATVI was a fast and dynamic company. It was full of "career-minded" people that were highly inspired and mostly fun to work with.

Employees were pushed and held accountable.
Pros
Good work culture
Cons
Would have been nice to have more vacation time
Working in Tech Support can be really random.
Customer Service - Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNAugust 2, 2017
Most days would be spent answering calls and e-mails sent by customers needing help. When there were neither calls nor e-mails, we could enjoy a few minutes playing any game the company made.

The best part of the job was the challenge that comes with solving a person's problem. A lot of the information was easily found on our website, so it was mostly a matter of sorting through it all.

The workplace was enjoyable. Being between the programmers and "the suits" of the company was enjoyable to get a taste of both serious sides of video games. When a game was being developed, we occasionally got to do a little Quality Assurance of the game, which is not as easy or as "fun" as it sounds to the average listener. It was not about "playing" the game as much as it was about trying to "break" the game.

There are only two really negative parts to the job. When you're on a team were everyone has the same high expectations of their work, you get so much done that there are no e-mails left and you have to agree to wait your turn for a call. If even one person decides to be a slacker, it can slow everything down to a crawl. Also, the internship never grew in a paying job. When I would interview for a position, I would, instead, be offered another chance at the internship.
Pros
Welcoming environment, great experince, free gameplay
Cons
Varying levels of work everyday, Never offerd paid job
Stay Away!
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJuly 12, 2017
Unless you are a gamer or desperate for any work, do not even think about working here! Very high turnover, back-stubbing and on-going threat of layoffs create a very toxic work environment.
Pros
Periodic free snacks
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Activision Blizzard. Our community is ready to answer.