Ada S. McKinley Community Services Employee Reviews

Horrible
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 9, 2019
Absolutely the worst experience I’ve had with a company. Failed to pay me, mistakenly deposited someone else’s check into my account. Rude Hr director
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Very unprofessional
Good Entry level job starter..
One on One (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL( Aztlan)August 31, 2019
It's a Black organization that enslaves their own people mentally and physically. New century sweat shop violates labor laws. Abuses and disrespects their consumers on a daily basis. (Oig) would have a field day. Worst place I've ever worked loved the consumers. Director is rarely there and doesn't care about advancing the consumers nor staff.
The clients are super cool people to work for!!
Head Cook (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 3, 2019
Its typically a good place to work because of the clients!! The mgmt/staff however, is entirely another whole story. To be totally honest the best thing about this company is the benefits package
productive work
PROGRAM DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 31, 2019
Company offered an array of services for it's customers. Employees are grossly underpaid. Many of the locations are in poor conditions and located in high crime, poverty stricken neighborhoods. Top administrator are highly compensated but front line workers are poorly compensated.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
low salaries
Professional and fun place to work
Billing/Collections Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 21, 2019
Entered billing on a daily basis for Physicians and Clinicians; Performed customer service, patient registration and receptionist duties as needed. Assisted with preparation of special events, parties and trips.
Pros
Providing productive services to the Community
Cons
Employed now still learning new thing
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 12, 2019
Since my employment everything seem good thriving to be all I can. Job details are going but I can use knowledge to better my understanding of the duties.
Pros
Community Service
Cons
Na
Excellent place to work
Health and Disability Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 20, 2019
The staff works well together, family oriented company, A social service organization that provides services to children, adults, and seniors. I worked in the area of Head Start, the department consisted of the following staff: Head Start Director, Education Coordinator; Social Worker, Health/Disability Coordinator, Health Assistant, Paraprofessionals, and Mental Health. This was the team that helped bring quality services to children ages 0 to 5. our agency had 4 sites and partnered with 9 other private programs that had Head Start Funding. The team does weekly visits to all sites to monitor Health Records, making sure all enrolled children were up to date on immunizations, we also monitored the facility to make sure there were no health codes and the site are clean and safe. The education coordinator monitored the developmental growth of the children through screenings and observation. The children with special needs were received well, and very inclusive in the program.
Pros
good benefits, 1 hour lunch break.
Cons
using own vehicle for traveling.
Corrupt Higher Management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes Naval Training Center, ILJanuary 23, 2019
On site management is outstanding as in direct supervisor. The "corporate" higher up management is terrible and corrupt. They are rude, do not care about their supervisory staff or their employees. They put them last and only worry about lining their pockets with money. Speaking of money, they frequently forget to pay employees for hours worked and their fix is to say "it will be on the next check" (which never shows up).
They do however provide free health insurance, but do not offer anything in regards to 401k.
Training also does not happen.
Vehicles are provided for the job but in minimal quantity. Required to drive own car around daily and am not reimbursed for fuel or mileage on vehicle.

No training provided.
Pros
Make your own schedule, paid lunch, free health insurance
Cons
Corrupt upper management, lack of training, no retirement plan
No Room for Growth- Hostile Work Environment, Bad Management
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 26, 2018
Management is terrible, doesn't listen to staff or communicate effectively. issues are often ignored until they become legal issues. The environment is very hostile throughout the agency. Upper management is very clique like, if you don't want to be their friend or reveal personal information about yourself, or gossip continuously, you will be basically bullied into quitting. Many employees are bullied into doing their jobs the wrong way, as most of the upper management is under qualified or just not skilled enough to hold positions of Director, VP or CEO. The culture that is promoted is "One Ada" but that is the furthest thing from what this organization represents. There is no clear communication or team work. Management will let you fail to make it an issue with your performance, instead of training staff on how to do things the right way. Processes are outdated, management is stuck doing things the wrong way, the culture is reactive and not proactive.
Pros
Literally nothing.
Cons
Everything. Take any job but this one!
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2018
Typical day at work run program pass medication my supervisor was a great people the workplace was in a great area. The most enjoyable part of my job was taking care of the clients and clocking out.
Nice work facility
Lead In-person Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 29, 2018
work environment was casual but productive. There was no push for hard pressure for production or results. The culture was mostly friendly. Thre was little in the way of recognition of talents and abilities for promotion and advancement. I did like the work I did as Lead-In-Person Counselor.
Pros
Work Facilities
Cons
No recognition of talents and abilities for promotion or advancement too political.
Working with special needs
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 13, 2018
My experience with this company was bittersweet. I worked hard and did the best I could to help the special needs clients. In teaching them life skills I also learned a thing or two.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
To many details to cover on daily basis.
Horrible
Training Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 10, 2018
Horrible service, rude employees and terrible pay. Demading hours

Less work for clients

Same thing everyday

Loss of clients

Not getting paid

Bad
Employee of the month recognition
Program Aide/DSP (Direct Service Person) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 3, 2018
Employee of the month recognition. If you enjoy helping people and working with people with developmental disabilities. This is a good company to work for. The agency has a high turnaround and is always short staff so overtime can be unlimited.
Cons
work every holiday
MENTOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 3, 2018
A typical day at work was helping to create ways to keep at-risk youths focused in the classroom. I learned students need a sense of security in order to be open with staff. While learning students strengths and weaknesses in academics it allowed me to recommend tutoring so they could become successful in their high school education as well as being prepared for college. Other programs implemented in the curriculum gave students the sense of independence and responsibility. The culture of the workplace was family oriented between staff and students. The hardest part of the job were times when students wanted to give up on their education, however, as a mentor I continued to stress the importance of the choices being made. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching students graduate and go to college.
Pros
Free education, meals and educational trips.
Cons
Behavior issues
Per Day
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 20, 2018
For a teacher, the day was stressful and too long and it took five years of my time with this company to receive the summer break that was commensurate to other teaching professional.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
too long work day
Learning Experience
After School Matters (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 30, 2018
Ada S McKinley After school matters Culinary Program Was amazing. I got the opportunity to collaborate with other that I wouldn't have had the chance to work with outside of the program. I learned how to prepare different meals from different cultures and how to properly serve them to a customer/Guest.
Pros
Taught employability skills
Cons
Seasonal
Horrible place, Mannagement unprofessional!
Program Coordinator │ Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 14, 2018
Ada S. McKinley was the most unprofessional company I have ever worked for! The management staff was rude and unprofessional. They spoke to the employees as if they were second hand citizens, on some occasions as if we were children. No training or support!
Work with minimal supervision.
Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 28, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people who are mentally and physically challenged made me proud to be able to help someone accomplish their goals and feel good about themselves. Assisting in day to day living activities and learning new things every day about the population in which you work. Understanding their needs and wants even if they were unable to verbally communicate and express their desire.
Pros
Employee of the month recognition.
Cons
Time off from work depending on the company's need.
Stressful
Qualified Mental Health Professional (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 26, 2018
Moral can't be registered it's so low. Paper work it too much for the little time you are given finish. Office gossip is over whelming at times. Not much room for advancement.
Pros
Flexible schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ada S. McKinley Community Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ada S. McKinley Community Services Reviews by Location