Adelphoi Village Employee Reviews

Horrible Place to Work
Counselor I (Former Employee) –  Latrobe, PAMarch 16, 2019
Where I worked the staff was mostly made up of people who were 5-6 years older than the kids. They had no clue how to handle teenagers, and spent a lot of time triggering them and punishing them. It was more of a power trip for them. These teens were really troubled, and they were being handled by “counselors” who were barely old enough to drink. It was a total joke.
Great experience
Therapist (Former Employee) –  PAMarch 3, 2019
Worked as a therapist for several years. Supervisor and Directors were positive, easy to get along with and ask for input. A lot of opportunities for training. Small teams so supervisor has close contact to help. Really liked my team and teams we would combine for trainings. Moved out of state so needed to leave position. Appreciate the experience!
Pros
People I worked with in program, benefits, supervision and support
Cons
Schedule at times but its also flexible
You have to be kidding me.
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Latrobe, PAFebruary 14, 2019
I worked there for 7 yrs, unless you are serious desperate for a job. Stay away. Rotating shifts, no support except for state police in a crisis, many youths who are violent and they take and keep them to keep a bed filled and collect money from whatever county they came from, I wish that it was better, because I feel that these youths deserve it. The only good thing I can say about it is that I did work with some nice people, who I feel sorry for if they are still working there.
Pros
Get to help some kids
Cons
Everything else
Excellent Agency
Community Based Project Director (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, PADecember 21, 2018
I should have never left, Adelphoi is a very well run and compassionate agency that follows the mission to improve the lives of the children and families they serve.
Good company
Therapist (Former Employee) –  PANovember 7, 2018
Company provided a lot of learning opportunities; large continuum so options in positions and expansion.

Supportive supervisors and directors; willing to incorporate feedback, positive with staff, available.

Increases to pay/salaries - PTO can accrue a nice amount of days off, schedule for some programs can be flexible so you don't need to request formal time off. Benefit package is good.
Team players
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Connellsville, PASeptember 12, 2018
Co-workers were great.
Learned a lot from working here.
Supervisor at the time I was working for them was horrible.
Never a dull moment.
Over all this company was good to work for but during the time I worked here the supervisor was horrible.
Pros
Learnig experience
Cons
Supervisor was horrible during the time I worked here.
Big Expectations, Little Reward
Shift Supervisor / Counselor (Former Employee) –  Latrobe, PAAugust 21, 2018
As an employee, there is little to no reward for the work put in. There is no "typical" day at Adelphoi. Your day is unpredictable due to the success of it relying 100% on the behaviors of the clients and your relationship with them. Often times, employees are expected to work their full work day and stay after with no pay in order to complete tasks that should've been taken care of throughout the day (however, it was impossible due to the behavior of the clients). You have the opportunity to work with awesome people but they usually don't stay long due to the lack of support from supervisors or program directors. All in all, Adelphoi is an organization that values politics and popularity on a much higher scale than they do a genuinely good and honest, hard-working employee. The clients are they only thing that make the job worth while, if you can hang in there long enough to establish lasting relationships with them.
Pros
Awesome Coworkers
Cons
No Overtime, No Support, Emotionally/Physically Demanding
Lots of paperwork required for job. Stable company.
Family Specialist (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, PAJuly 29, 2018
My experience was generally positive in that the company was stable and financially secure. The clinical programming was not the primary focus of the organization.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
clinical programming average at best
Great place to start out at
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Latrobe, PAJune 4, 2018
I can honestly say that it was a good place to work. It is rewarding to watch the kids grow with their short time with the company. You feel important when you get to be involved with the kids that are there.
Pros
You feel important! It is a rewarding job!
Cons
You can get fired without reason.
Job turned into a stressful chore.
Counselor I (Former Employee) –  Cogan Station, PAMay 18, 2018
This job was fun and enjoyable at one time. Fewer staff and more and more responsibilities turned it into a stressful chore. We once had a family type atmosphere at my location (La-Sa-Quik). The ratio of staff per individual was increased from 1 to 4 to 1 to 8 individuals. This increased the workload and allowed far less time to actually work with the individuals. Several staff were let go and their workloads were added to those who remained. Just not a pleasant environment to work in any longer.
over rated
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Latrobe, PAMay 18, 2018
Adelphoi severely underpays it's employees which attracts low level talent and contributes to ridiculously high turnover rates and people who are just there to collect a pay check. Upper management puts extreme expectations on it's employees and does not give them the needed information to carry out their duties. This company is a nonprofit that is trying to operate as a profit business at the expense of the kids and the employees. They feel all employees are replaceable and do not appreciate hard working employees.
Pros
benefits and paid time off
Great place to work.
Caseworker II (Former Employee) –  Harrison Valley, PAMay 14, 2018
I started as a counselor on the floor and was promoted five times during my employment there. I always had amazing bosses and mentors and I would still be employed there today if we had not moved out of state.
Pros
All around amazing place
Cons
I had none
Overall good agency
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  VariousMay 11, 2018
Not a bad agency to work for. It can become very stressful and quick paced at times, sometimes without very direction. People take unneeded shortcuts at times.
Pros
Good pay and decent benefits
Cons
Supervisors seem to be leaving for various reasons a lot.
typical day
Host parent (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAApril 22, 2018
Days are long and challenging. Management was excellent and supportive. Hardest part of the job was balancing your home life with the work that was required of the host families.
Pros
support
Cons
Good stepping stone coming out of college nothing more.
COUNSELOR II (Current Employee) –  Latrobe, PAApril 7, 2018
This place is abysmal. I do not know where to start. I understand that every job has their pros and cons and you must take the good with the bad but Adelphoi is a difficult place to work for many reasons.

The schedule is a rotating one making life stressful for employees. Supervisors will flat out refuse to schedule around college students and penalize you if you call out to attend classes that are endorsed by the company. Your job security is non existent. Kids can and will try to get you fired if you restraint them and they don't like you. All it takes is one call to childline and you can be labelled as an abuser. Adelphoi severely underpays it's employees which attracts low level talent and contributes to ridiculously high turnover rates. Upper management puts extreme expectations on it's employees and does not give them the resources to carry out their duties. This company is a nonprofit that is trying to operate as a for profit business at the expense of the kids and the employees and its sickening. This job is only good for establishing work experience other than that stay away.
Pros
Great experience. Some kids have truly changed my life being able to work with them.
Cons
Bad pay, too many responsibilites, unrealistic expectations, minimal job security, bad program
rewarding
Counselor I/ Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Latrobe, PAMarch 10, 2018
Working with youth in this company has been rewarding. The management gave us the tools we needed to allow us to grow in our positions. I would recommend this company.
no thanks
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Latrobe, PAMarch 2, 2018
no thanks do not want to take a chance and work here. The teenagers are sometimes enjoyable to work with. The shifts go by very fast you are kept busy.
Racist Staff and Violent kids
Counselor I (Former Employee) –  Latrobe, PAFebruary 18, 2018
When i first started working here every thing seemed fine. My supervisor was awesome and my coworkers was sweet. But soon I start noticing things. Some staff were racist and didnt like colored people. Kids can hit you and get away with it. Weekends are mandatory 12 hours shifts, they do rotate but its a big pain. Hard to get school shifts. JUst dont get paid enough! for amount of work and the BS you have to deal with its not worth it.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Violent Kids, Racist Area, Low Pay
excellent company to work for
Admissions Liaison (Current Employee) –  Latrobe, PAJanuary 30, 2018
Amazing people doing amazing work with troubled youth, doing the right thing for the right reasons.

Leadership is connected with the workers and it is always a collaborative effort to reach company goals.
Cut throat
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Latrobe, PAJanuary 9, 2018
They worry about the smallest things clients can assult you and your told wait off to call cops let it go. Then if you get paperwork done to soon they want to write you up.
Benefits
Cons
Leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Adelphoi Village. Our community is ready to answer.