Adelphoi Village Employee Reviews

Great place to start out at
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Latrobe, PAJune 4, 2018
I can honestly say that it was a good place to work. It is rewarding to watch the kids grow with their short time with the company. You feel important when you get to be involved with the kids that are there.
Pros
You feel important! It is a rewarding job!
Cons
You can get fired without reason.
Job turned into a stressful chore.
Counselor I (Former Employee) –  Cogan Station, PAMay 18, 2018
This job was fun and enjoyable at one time. Fewer staff and more and more responsibilities turned it into a stressful chore. We once had a family type atmosphere at my location (La-Sa-Quik). The ratio of staff per individual was increased from 1 to 4 to 1 to 8 individuals. This increased the workload and allowed far less time to actually work with the individuals. Several staff were let go and their workloads were added to those who remained. Just not a pleasant environment to work in any longer.
over rated
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Latrobe, PAMay 18, 2018
Adelphoi severely underpays it's employees which attracts low level talent and contributes to ridiculously high turnover rates and people who are just there to collect a pay check. Upper management puts extreme expectations on it's employees and does not give them the needed information to carry out their duties. This company is a nonprofit that is trying to operate as a profit business at the expense of the kids and the employees. They feel all employees are replaceable and do not appreciate hard working employees.
Pros
benefits and paid time off
Great place to work.
Caseworker II (Former Employee) –  Harrison Valley, PAMay 14, 2018
I started as a counselor on the floor and was promoted five times during my employment there. I always had amazing bosses and mentors and I would still be employed there today if we had not moved out of state.
Pros
All around amazing place
Cons
I had none
Overall good agency
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  VariousMay 11, 2018
Not a bad agency to work for. It can become very stressful and quick paced at times, sometimes without very direction. People take unneeded shortcuts at times.
Pros
Good pay and decent benefits
Cons
Supervisors seem to be leaving for various reasons a lot.
typical day
Host parent (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAApril 22, 2018
Days are long and challenging. Management was excellent and supportive. Hardest part of the job was balancing your home life with the work that was required of the host families.
Pros
support
Cons
Good stepping stone coming out of college nothing more.
COUNSELOR II (Current Employee) –  Latrobe, PAApril 7, 2018
This place is abysmal. I do not know where to start. I understand that every job has their pros and cons and you must take the good with the bad but Adelphoi is a difficult place to work for many reasons.

The schedule is a rotating one making life stressful for employees. Supervisors will flat out refuse to schedule around college students and penalize you if you call out to attend classes that are endorsed by the company. Your job security is non existent. Kids can and will try to get you fired if you restraint them and they don't like you. All it takes is one call to childline and you can be labelled as an abuser. Adelphoi severely underpays it's employees which attracts low level talent and contributes to ridiculously high turnover rates. Upper management puts extreme expectations on it's employees and does not give them the resources to carry out their duties. This company is a nonprofit that is trying to operate as a for profit business at the expense of the kids and the employees and its sickening. This job is only good for establishing work experience other than that stay away.
Pros
Great experience. Some kids have truly changed my life being able to work with them.
Cons
Bad pay, too many responsibilites, unrealistic expectations, minimal job security, bad program
rewarding
Counselor I/ Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Latrobe, PAMarch 10, 2018
Working with youth in this company has been rewarding. The management gave us the tools we needed to allow us to grow in our positions. I would recommend this company.
no thanks
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Latrobe, PAMarch 2, 2018
no thanks do not want to take a chance and work here. The teenagers are sometimes enjoyable to work with. The shifts go by very fast you are kept busy.
Racist Staff and Violent kids
Counselor I (Former Employee) –  Latrobe, PAFebruary 18, 2018
When i first started working here every thing seemed fine. My supervisor was awesome and my coworkers was sweet. But soon I start noticing things. Some staff were racist and didnt like colored people. Kids can hit you and get away with it. Weekends are mandatory 12 hours shifts, they do rotate but its a big pain. Hard to get school shifts. JUst dont get paid enough! for amount of work and the BS you have to deal with its not worth it.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Violent Kids, Racist Area, Low Pay
would not recommend
Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Latrobe, PAFebruary 6, 2018
inexperienced coworkers, they hire whoever they can straight out of school. They also don't always require degrees for floor staff. immature, chaotic environment with NO supervision ever offered.
excellent company to work for
Admissions Liaison (Current Employee) –  Latrobe, PAJanuary 30, 2018
Amazing people doing amazing work with troubled youth, doing the right thing for the right reasons.

Leadership is connected with the workers and it is always a collaborative effort to reach company goals.
Cut throat
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Latrobe, PAJanuary 9, 2018
They worry about the smallest things clients can assult you and your told wait off to call cops let it go. Then if you get paperwork done to soon they want to write you up.
Benefits
Cons
Leadership
Good not for profit company
Network Assistant (Former Employee) –  Latrobe, PANovember 24, 2017
Stepping stone type of job. Good place to network, and start your career. Volunteering is appreciated at this company. Very friendly staff. Overall, good place to work.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
odd hours
OK place to work to gain experience in counseling.
Counselor 1 (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PANovember 14, 2017
The good: Fair pay, average work load, great benefits, and a good program.

The bad: Not the best work schedule, limited opportunity for advancement, a select few lazy coworkers who like to push their duties off on others.
Environment where structure is needed.
Shift Supervisor, Advisor II (Former Employee) –  Hollidaysburg, PASeptember 6, 2017
There was a lack of structure and consistency at Adelphoi. There were three different Supervisors during my short time at Adelphoi, and a very high turnover rate for employees.

There was much inconsistency as far as procedure and rules for the youth. Each shift was run differently depending on who was working.

There was turmoil between employees, which led to a divide in the culture of the workplace.

The most difficult part of the job was keeping structure and consistency for the youth, when there was not much of either of those when it came to the staff and management,

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to see the success and changes in the youth, and knowing that you helped to put them in a better position for life.
too much work for not enough pay
COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Latrobe, PAAugust 23, 2017
Adelphoi is an extremely high stress job with an unfair pay rate. You are offered opportunities for advancement, but will be blocked from doing so. Employees treat one another disrespectfully and do not remain consistent.
Youth Care worker
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Latrobe, PAMay 28, 2017
Monitored youth activities for a not-for-profit child care agency providing residential services for teens healing from trauma. Assisted youth with daily activities and education, provided overnight monitoring, support and encouragement. Underwent training in crisis management, First Aid/CPR, nutrition, diversity.
Pros
Helping young individuals
Cons
overnight shift
typical day at work
Landscaping (Former Employee) –  Latrobe, PAMay 23, 2017
A day at work for me is when we all work as a team to get the job done. also if i am the only one t get that job done i think of the most professional way to get it done. Also, if i have completed my job i will ask someone to help with theres. Then at the end of the day i will make sure all equipment or product is put away and cleaned up.
High Demand work with juveniles in a controlled setting
Counselor II (Current Employee) –  Latrobe, PAMay 10, 2017
Once I arrive at work, you have to make sure the medicine count is correct. Then you have the clients group up so you can run the treatment modality at that time. Next, they enjoy free time until the next group is ran. They are taking to dinner at the cafeteria and then back to the unit for jobs. I have learned a lot in aspect to dealing with juveniles with serious offenses and also with underlying issues as well. Management is mediocre. The workplace culture is diversified. Hardest part of the job is when you see clients that don't want the help or they sabotage themselves to not leave.Most enjoyable is seeing the clients come together or when we are participating in a unit sport or just talking.
Pros
Eat with the kids, guaranteed 40hrs a week
Cons
rotating shifts, weekend work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Adelphoi Village. Our community is ready to answer.