Adirondack Bank

• Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment

A joke

Management was alright, really only cared about themselves. Coworkers were fun to be around, made us work through our lunches for 9hr days when the banks shut down to drive thru only. Most days I couldn’t even get any lunch in me because I was the only teller on the line and had 0 help. Received a gift card as a “thanks” for all the help. Taking time off from work was a battle. People in back office were normally rude and didn’t want to help out.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Adirondack Bank offers a work environment in which employees are happy and productive.

I have worked with Adirondack Bank for many, many years and my career has taken me from teller all the way through to management. Adirondack Bank values its employees and invests greatly in them. Adirondack Bank has served as a guiding light for its employees through the COVID 19 pandemic and kept on all of its employees. In addition, the Bank generously rewarded the employees with gift cards and other perks throughout the pandemic. I plan to be with Adirondack Bank until I retire, and I would not hesitate to recommend the Bank as an employment opportunity to anyone.

Pros

An employer that values its employees to an incredible degree, A working environment that allows employees to be themselves at work.

Cons

Nothing of note.

A good job with great coworkers

The job itself isn't the most exciting job in the world, but it's easy once you get a hang of it and leaves a lot of room to learn. I've learned quite a bit about the financial side of the world, such as loans, insurance, taxes, and different types of accounts and their benefits. I have greatly enjoyed working with everyone I have worked with, and my coworkers make the working day enjoyable. The bank is currently in a transitionary period in an attempt to improve the bank for better, so there are definitely a lot of unknowns right now; however, I thoroughly enjoy working with my coworkers and learning the ins and outs of banking.The hardest part of the job is starting out without prior banking experience. There's definitely a lot to learn coming in to banking, but it's mostly learned through routine and picked up as you go. I've been fortunate to have excellent coworkers to teach me the ropes and ensure our success.The most enjoyable part of the job is serving customers, learning about the products and services provided by the bank, and interacting with your coworkers.

Pros

Decent benefits, great coworkers, pleasant customers, lots of involvement in communities

Cons

Not the greatest pay, lacking of experience (many new employees)

Love working at Adirondack Bank

Though I recently started at Adirondack Bank, I have really come to enjoy my time here. Not only does the bank support the community, they also support their employees. Every day I have felt more and more welcome and comfortable, and immediately feel like one of the team. The marketing department has been so supportive, always open to new ideas and perspectives. They have really helped me build on my marketing experience, allowing me to grow and make the role my own. My personal and professional experience with Adirondack Bank since starting this new role has given me more confidence and passion while continuing to build my education.Since starting, everyone I have worked with is so kind. This is a great group of people to work with. The work-life balance has been flexible and great, with weekends and Federal holidays off. This position has allowed me to find a happy medium between home and work.At one point during my start here, I was required to work for home. I will say I was relieved that they gave me the tools I needed to support my position and my job requirements. Adirondack Bank was clearly prepared for this scenario, and it was such weight lifted off my shoulders knowing that I had access to my projects from home.I would recommend working at Adirondack Bank. They show nothing but support for its employees and community.

Toxic Environment

I would never recommend anyone to work here.Senior management is a good boys club, and upper level management is only there to make everyone else miserable. They don’t care about you or anyone else for that matter, as long as they’re getting paid. They will take credit for everything you do and pass it off as their own. They will micromanage you to the point of you going insane. They will make your life miserable. Overworked, unpaid and miserable. The culture here is toxic. The best thing I ever did was leave this company.

Pros

Federal holidays off

Cons

Low pay, awful benefits, long hours, toxic culture

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

Honesty and reliable means nothing to them!

Steer clear! High turnover. Constantly short staffed and high stress level. Horrible rates but still required to meet your goals. Dedicated employees are easily replaced. Senior management is “clicky”.

Pros

The customers and the few reliable coworkers

Cons

Everything else!

Awful place to work

They don’t care about they employees at all or the fact people have a life and a family outside work. They expected you to put work above everything in you life

Don’t waste your time or energy

keep looking for something else. You will thank me later. This company is corporate ran down to simple daily decision that should be made at branch level. Management is puppets. Can’t answer anything until they speak to corporate. Always short staffed and no focus on hiring. They expect you do travel to other locations weather you want to or not. ZERO leadershipZERO trainingZERO Respect Don’t accept 16.00 for BBR I promise people are making a lot more! Don’t work at south Utica location. Every customer threatens to call Rocco and because of that have a major sense of entitlement. All good employees leave. ESP ones that have banking experience and knows how things are suppose to run.

Pros

Nothing!

Cons

Everything.

Don't bother working here

I wouldn't recommend anyone to work here. Just go to another bank/credit union and you will get a much better experience. They are too small so there is no room for advancement. Unless you know someone or are a man. Lot's of things are swept under the rug. Too much pressure on employees. Pay, benefits, and time off are below average. Management is probably the biggest issue. Only a handful of managers that actually look out for their employees. If you know the right manager you will do well. VP of banking is tough, but fair. VP of HR is useless and a puppet to CEO. The whole loan department is a mess. There are few gems of employees that work there. Some have been around forever and are treated terribly. Turnover is ridiculous. All I can say is, don't come here.

Pros

Some employees are really great, customers are wonderful

Cons

Low pay, management is horrible, too much pressure on employees

Unorganized Company

Pre Covid: The culture was pretty much as a class system. It was like Playing Bank. At the time of my employment there wasn't much diversity. Some employees where inappropriate. Some were really great. However I did learn a lot. Due to the lack of organization and lack of preparation everyone is basically winging it.Management was ok.Upper Management lacked understanding of what was needed to function effectively. HR representatives were great. ((HR Management was very insensitive during Covid 19. Calling doctors to see if you really were sick and calling employees during their time off with threats. Spreading rumors. ))Benefits were poor, so I just paid out of pocket for insurance. Compensation was very poor not competitive at all. Work life balance was flexible.Overall everyone tried but the lack of organization and preparation is unbearable. This is just one persons opinion you honestly have to see for yourself.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Compensation, Benefits, Upper Management, Diversity, Unorganized

First shift is only good thing

Terrible management, doesn’t play much of a role throughout day unless to reprimand or talk a about self. Favoritisms and micromanaging from superiors. Unorganized unclear training process. Sporadic expectations.

Pros

Cons

Short breaks

Workplace is very political and if you work as a teller you fear for your job everyday

ADK bank have a extremely high employee turnover rate- Senior management is constantly looking for a smallest reason to terminate someone. Most employees fear daily for their job security and the employees are CONSTANTLY under stress, which has led to a hostile work environment even amongst peers. Management has made ADK Bank a terrible place to work.

Pros

Great holiday parties and employee events

Cons

everything else

Horrible management

The manager in the Little Falls branch is the worst. She doesn’t know how to manage a branch. She turned down multiple customers that wanted to open up accounts, stopping me from reaching my monthly referral goals! I have never met a more lazy and unprofessional manager before.

They do not like long term tellers. The good is the customers are awesome and make the job worth while.

I worked at the bank for a little over twenty years they were great learned a lot . Know they do not like long term tellers. They found a way to dismiss me and two other employees who were also there twenty plus years for similar reasons. We had a retail manager from corporate tell us we were toxic employees. Found that to be very unprofessional and damaging to overall morale.

Pros

Great at first I loved the customers in our area they are awesome.

Cons

Dismissive of long term employees

By far the worst place I've ever worked.

They have such a high turnover rate that most customers would bet on how long we would last. Some closed accounts because of it. So much backstabbing it felt like you were back in high school.

Will never work here again

I only worked here for about 6 months. During that time, I was made to feel tiny. I was literally thrown into a branch because they were so short staffed. Didnt learn much from the training that was supposed to be 3 weeks but turned out to be a week long. In that week, i MIGHT have spent 1.5 days actually learning. Then I was thrown into my branch. Once there, the my supervisor (23 years old), literally told me she doesnt want to train me because thats not her job. I waa thrown i to the drive thru (super busy). Once I finally got the hang of everythingI started asking more questions to learn more. To which my supervisor would constantly tell me not to worry about learning more because its not in my job description. After about two mo ths of her telling me this, I went to the manager. She told me to tell her to syart training me on more stuff. She said ok, but never did. Continued asking questions and was shot down. She whoo'd at me because I "asked too many questions that i didnt need to worry about." Manager was more of a friend to my coworkers than a manager. One teller got away with being straight rude to not only employees but also customers. Once (Screen wont allow me to see what I am typing so sorry ahead of time lol). I was given a few extra daily tasks on top of my mandatory daily tasks. Was not allowed a raise for doing extra work. Once I put in my two week notice, I was treated even worse. I did not finish out .y two week notice. I have never done that before. I am now employed by NBT and and they are amazing! They show me literally everything! Theyre super nice.

Pros

Work experience

Cons

EVERYTHING else

Great Bank to work for.

I really loved the whole experience working for Adirondack bank. If my family and I didn’t have to moved out of state I'm pretty sure I would of still been working for this great community bank. All the knowledge I got with banking financial is thank to Adirondack bank. and I will always be very grateful for giving me the opportunity and believe in me.

Pros

Good environment and friendly customers and teamwork.

Cons

Used to be a great place to work

Adirondack Bank used to be a great place to work until 5 years ago when they changed Sr. Mgmt. Now, one must walk on eggshells daily just to keep your job. They write you up for everything. Then when they do, and you know that a position you've wanted becomes available, you can't post for it because you're on a warning, keeping you right where they want you. I've watched more than 60 people either get fired or quit. Pay os good, but not worth the ulcer you develop wondering when the other shoe is going to drop. Overall, people are wonderful, but not a great environment to work in. High stress, high sales goals.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Sr. Management

Place for advancement

There is always a position to move to, weather you are a teller or back office person. I have seen ones move from full-time teller to backup teller to branch banking representative.

Great Job Experience

Having a job at Adirondack Bank was exciting and gave me job experience. Each day was different and the staff made me feel welcomed. I worked helping the lenders organize commercial loans. I found this job interesting.

Pros

Work Experiennce

Cons

More working hours

great place to start and advance

I would love to be able to grow and better my career with this company. Everyone from the higher ups to co workers are all compassionate, supportive, and understanding. The pay could defiantly use some adjusting, especially for people who go above and beyond what is asked of them. There are always opportunities to advance and learn more. If I wasn't moving, and the money was a bit better, I would have probably been able to stay longer and relocate with this bank.

Pros

vacation time, hours of operation, co workers and the higher up

Cons

hourly pay

Common questions about Adirondack Bank

Answered by current and former employees at Adirondack Bank

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Adirondack Bank. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9