Adler Planetarium Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Ok Place
General Labor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 7, 2018
Good place, but needs better mgmt and communication inter-departmentally. Fun place to work, but difficult to enact positive change and break old habits.
Fun and learning
Summer Camp Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 5, 2018
Every day there is something new going on at the Adler. There are ways to learn and grow as an individual and as a worker. I really helped gained skills I needed more experience in.
Great Internship!
ASM Summer Camp Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 2, 2018
Working at the Adler was a wonderful experience that I would recommend to anyone. You get free access to all of the other chicago museums and most staff members are extremely friendly.
Museum staff
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 17, 2017
My day was overall uneventful. I had to help customers with a number of problems. I was basically a secrurity guard for exhibits or entrance monitor.
Pros
Free admission
Cons
Low pay, commute
Good for young adult/entry level people
Museum Attendant Guard (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 13, 2017
It was an ok job, sometimes its slow sometimes busy especially when school kids are scheduled. shows are very educational but they should work more on their display, some are outdated, they need new and fresh displays and maybe change/add shows annually
great place to work and learn
Floor Programs Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 28, 2017
Lots of access to information and fun times, great atmosphere high paced and busy work but very rewarding. great perks with being a employee and fun people to work with
Fun, but also annoying
Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 12, 2017
For the most part, you get to chose a lot of what you do during the day...once you actually learn it, which takes a while. Some managers are very good, but others expect way more from you than what you are actually paid to do. Make some great friends, but also hate management. Not sure if that's a good trade off.
Pros
discounts, free museum visit and perks at other museums, space!
Cons
salary
Great Internship Experience
Lead Multimedia Designer - Internship (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 29, 2017
Worked on an interactive kiosk for Astrobiology back in 2001-2002 and it was a great experience. Was fun to work with the Astronomers there and I learned a lot.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
was just an internship and not a permanent gig.
Offsite designer
Graphic Designer & Illustrator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 9, 2017
Great place to work for and inspirational and fun. Offsite and very flexible hours. Fun and creative place to work with a variety of fun projects for museums!
Pros
Offsite work, very flexible hours
Really Fun and great work environment
Jr. 3D Animator/Artist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 28, 2017
During my time with adler I enjoyed working with all the individuals that I came in contact with. Everyone was friendly and eager to help you not get lost within Planetarium.
Pros
Free Admittance to all art institutions, like all the museums in chigaco including all art institutions
Cons
Economy during 2008/2009 couldnt keep me on
Exciting place to work
Private Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 11, 2017
Great environment and a strong work culture. My experience was excellent along with the interesting museum setting filled with all sorts of interesting artifacts and information.
A plethora of pitfalls
Varied (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 28, 2015
The management at the Adler Planetarium is horrendous. There is a lack of clear direction for the museum from the higher management. There is also an ongoing purge at the Adler, as in the past two and a half years, over 40 employees have been laid off or fired so job security is not something you will have here. There is rampant favoritism here as well. Suck up to the right people and you are fine. Keep your head down and do your job, but not suck up, and you will have problems. Visitors can be trying at times, and the bosses will not back you up, even if you are right and the visitor is wrong. There is also a great deal of back biting among employees. Some act like if they snitch on you, they will get some reward, but in actuality, the only thing they do is make the atmosphere among employees more toxic than it already is.
Pros
Free Museum Admission
Cons
Management, Lack of Advancement
First Planetarium in the country.
Interpretation Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 18, 2015
The employees of the Planetarium, especially the front line staff, are fantastic! They all work exceptionally hard at providing guests from around the world, and from Chicago, with a personalized, enjoyable and meaningful experience. The museum is continuing to evolve to meet the needs of its visitors, of all ages.
Wonderful atmosphere that values space education
Guest Host Lead (Floor Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 12, 2015
Like any non-profit Adler Planetarium works hard to keep resources available for the public and make a positive experience for all. They are creative when it comes to funding and always keeping in mind what they could do next. Typical days can be chaotic with lots of unexpected happenings, but never have I worked with such a passionate or knowledgeable team.
Adler's review
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 5, 2014
A typical day at work can be busy in the afternoon but slow pace in the morning, assisting customers with directions, shows and theatre information. I have learned how to have patience while customers are asking me a lot of questions, when several customers are asking me questions at the same time, and while answering phone calls. And I have learned how to multi-task. The management is professional and impersonal. My co-workers are helpful, hard working, and easy to work with. The hardest part of the job is talking to demanding customers.The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the joy that comes to the customers after a co-worker or I have helped them with directions.
Pros
Lunch breaks, and talking with delightful customers
Cons
Short breaks, and talking with demanding customers
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 22, 2014
Help visitors choose the perfect show for their visit and show them how to get to exhibits and theaters.
Pros
Free entrance to to museums
Cons
no parking
Productive, fun and educational environment
Floor Programs Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisDecember 4, 2013
Work starts off with meeting with other mentors and facilitators.
A short briefing and schedule given to each of us. I learned about how to handle people of different ages and backgrounds and explain the information in a way that is understandable to them.
The management is very relax, friendly and direct.
The hardest part about the job is to explain large and complex topics like gravitational lensing to 5 year olds.
The most enjoyable part of job is when I get to explain large and complex topics to an audience and to see the look in their eyes when they learn something.
Pros
Discounted prices on food, free entrances to the planetarium, friends and family are discounted to other museums
Cons
Short breaks
Summer App Building
Interactive Media Summer Teen Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 23, 2013
I definitely enjoyed my time at the Adler as an Interactive Media Intern. I helped to create a mobile tour app that was used to lead people around the planetarium. I also enjoyed working in one of the classrooms, even though the teens were essentially another exhibit to the museum goers, who would stop and watch us work.
Pros
Awesome exhibits to visit during brakes, including the shows!
Cons
Seagulls stalk you if you eat outside during lunch.
fun
Museum Service Staff (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 17, 2013
Working at the Adler is fun. You get to talk to people from around the world that come visit us. They work great around your school schedule and are very understanding.
Not fun.
Museum Service Staff (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 4, 2013
A typical day at work is not fun, it's very hassling and the co-workers are not right.
Pros
None.
Cons
Everything.