Advance Auto Parts

Salesperson182 reviews
United States182 reviews

Found 182 reviews matching the searchSee all 8,603 reviews
advancecarstoreautomotivebatterycommercialaapcustomer

Help customers find out what they need for the vehicles and how to get it. I learned something almost everyday about cars and I think that it was very beneficial for me. Great coworkers and managers who made it fun and exciting to go to work.

Stressful environment but has potential.

There are more unruly customers than many other retail establishments due to the confusing perception of “limited lifetime warranty”. Wages are low and it is hard to get a raise more than .25 cents per year. Runs a barebones staff with only 2 people closing with one person often outside installing batteries and helping customers. Overall though it’s not too much worse than most other retail jobs and has the same typical problems.

Advance Auto Parts insights

Based on 4,839 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Horrible

Absolutely horrible place to work you do more work than you actually get paid to do the management is always trying to make you pedal some type of useless product on to customers to increase their margins .

Fairly easy job if you're familiar with cars. Pay does reflect that though.

If you are someone that enjoys cars and are somewhat knowledgeable, it's not a bad job. It's pretty easy overall, but the hardest part is definitely dealing with bad customers. Advancement within the company is there but not worth it honestly. Personally, my coworkers were awesome people, the work environment was nice.

Pros

Easy, great work environment, discounts.

Cons

Pay

This one thing stood out to me and will forever bother me

Co-worker worked there for 4 years and all he wanted was a dollar raise or a chance to move up. They not only hired someone outside the company and made him a manager at another store (completely overlooking my co worker whom had plenty of experience.) they also wouldn’t give him his dollar raise. I don’t like greediness

It's a job not a career for most

For the most part it's a good job. Not the best pay. Work days are dealing with customers both in person and on the phone. Install batteries and wiper blades. The company as a whole is very inclusive.

Pros

You learn something new on most days.

Cons

The raises aren't good and half of the customers don't know what they drive.

Ok company to work

I worked at AAP in 2005.Management was not good. I had to work Every weekend. I quit after asking for a weekend off 1 month in advance, to go to a men's retreat and the manager never approved my request.

Poor management

Pay is less than fast food industry. Flexible and short shifts that meets the needs of the company have you putting all your pay in the gas tank, grossly understaffed and consistently doing "other assigned duties" over primary duties. Never are able to finsh tasks you start, Its like keystone cops. Cpp takes care of his buddies, constantly warranting defective parts. Pressured into upselling parts and add ons wity my incentives. Other co workers who don't care makes it even more difficult to excell.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Poor pay, scheduling, lack of leadership

Fast-paced auto parts retailer

You get to work your butt off here, they are generally understaffed, at least in my area, so there's a lot of running around. If you can handle stress, and look forward to a challenge, this job is for you.

Fun place to work at, beginner job

I help out my family at home and advance Autoparts make it so much harder because of the hours they give out, WOULDNT recommend this place to work in.

Pros

Benefits if you’re full time

Cons

Consistently cutting hours

Easy going but poor management

I was part time working more than full time employees and I needed time off and I couldn’t get any. But the co workers is what made it worth while and easy going.

Needs a rework

Overworked and underpaid wants full time hours for part time pay!If you want a boring job where you just sit and barely help people be my guest. I’ve had more managers up and quit regardless of the money it’s not a job you stay forever.

Decent

Not a totally bad place to work at. Managers are very helpful and will teach you how to do your job, at least at the store I work at. You just really have to be into vehicles to absolutely love this place, in my opinion.

Great place to work, and great place to learn about automotive and salesmanship, Great team flexible shifts.

Starting without knowing much about the automotive field I wanted to start building a career as a mechanic and automatic paint and body technician, but I had to start somewhere, and was given the chance to work here. I did learn a lot from working here from parts I never knew, truck day can get old soon but as far as the team, everyone does there part. Overall great manager, and great team.

Fun, but low-paying

Working at AAP wasn't too bad- as long as you come in knowing a little bit about car anatomy you'll be fine. The work it's was easy- sell, stock, and order parts. Although the work wasn't bad, the hours were. I was hired on as part-time and by the time I quit, I was working just under 50 hours a week with no benefits since I was too young to be a keyholder. (I was 18, you must be 21+) I was there 6-7 days a week which made college (and every other aspect of my life) really difficult due to lack of personal time. The pay sucked too. $9/hr in today's economy is garbage. Cool job although stressful at times with lots of hours.

It’s a good place to work with all the employees being very nice and helpful but pay isn’t the best

It’s a good place to work with all the employees being very nice and helpful. And you can learn quite a bit but pay isn’t the best, it’s decent for a entry level job with decent benefits like a 20% discount on items that aren’t already on sale but there is no commission which I’d definitely say would improve motivation for work, because 11 dollars an hour is barely enough to live on if you have to pay bills and what not and they won’t let you get overtime. I’d suggest this job to people that are in high school or don’t have bills to pay or retired people who want just something to do.If you want to have a decent work/life balance go full time granted even at part time you’ll get full time hours but at part time you don’t get paid time off or paid sick days.Also if you need time off it’s hard to get time off because not enough people at a store Also for on average 40/30 hours of work either 8/6 hour shifts every two weeks my paycheck is 600/700 so totally at most per month is 1200/1400

Pros

An hour break on 8 hour shifts 20% discount on items not on sale

Cons

Pay isn’t horrible but is bad Barely any free time since I spend most my week at work then at home

The good thing was learning a lot but bad management

Working there was fun most the time but not something to make a career out of. Management did not manage the store when stock came or ever helped the front of the store.

Pros

Laid back at times, some learning

Cons

Pay, management

Solid workplace for part time and decent people.

It's a lot of information to hold in the memory with parts and location of them and knowing where everything is. I've definitely learned a lot so far and I learn something new every day. I've been fortunate with my managers as their fun to be around and make the day better and sometimes it's stressful when it's busy or i can't find the right part. I enjoy my mangers a lot and have made be enjoy my time here so far but the pay is in my opinion insufficient for what you are required to do.

Pros

Cons

Have to really learn everything on your own

Decent coworkers but not organized worked as a mule

This place is not the greatest place to work because it can be a lot sometimes and there is not enough people to run this store properly since management was changed. The HR and tech helpline is no help what so ever, and shops get made at sales reps when the parts dont come from the DC in time.

Pros

Learning

Cons

No lunches, Poor Management

Not the best for people without much motivation

very mind numbing work and they dont really have a clue what they are doing, they dont seem to care for there employees very much and they are honestly dumb. I was there 5-6 days a week and never got a chance to have a good work life bannace

Pros

none really

Cons

bad pay, lots of work for the little your paid

Employees not held responsible for actions

Overall employees are treated unfairly. Well let me rephrase that some employees are treated good for bad behavior s while hard working employees are not rewarded for good behavior

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Advance Auto Parts. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.6
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight