Advanced Drainage Systems Employee Reviews

Overworked and Underpaid
Downstream Technician (Former Employee) –  Nowhere, OKSeptember 16, 2018
Pros

The people are good for the most part, management will occasionally provide lunch, snacks, or other freebies. Employee stock plan. The company will reimburse employees for protective gear such as impact-resistant lenses and steel-toe boots.

Cons

Turnover is high with lots of temp workers being brought in like a revolving door.

The pay is not commensurate to the difficulty and danger of the work, with Downstream Technicians (DST) making slightly above minimum wage to start despite being the most at-risk and most-often-injured position. Line operators are the second most at-risk, while also frequently being denied their rest and meal periods (ten and thirty minutes respectively) if the equipment is malfunctioning.

Training is almost non-existent and most of what you learn will be through screwing up repeatedly. On top of that most of the equipment is nearly a decade old and constantly malfunctioning, so you'll have to learn how to make good product and stay caught up while working around all of that because there's only one DST per line and operators are often preoccupied with other things (like Facebook). Don't count on the shift supervisors being around either unless one of the line operators calls out, then they have to be on the floor.

The benefits are not the greatest either. The health insurance focuses primarily on "teledoc," a service that in my experience is about as useful as an online symptom checking tool. Seeing a doctor in person has a copay, as well, which is great for when the teledoc inevitably can't diagnose something they can't see or
  more... examine. You're almost better off not having health insurance, honestly.
The work-life balance is absolutely abysmal, with weekend availability being mandatory and schedules that have you working 6+ days in a row, often with a handful (or all) of those days being 12-hour shifts. The schedule can change daily as well, but management won't notify you if they changed your schedule even if they did so after you've gone home for the day. (They will get mad at you for not showing up "on time" though).

For a company that boasts so highly of its "sustained safety culture," it sure does love working people to exhaustion, increasing the likelihood of injury in the process. No ergonomics or repetitive motion injury prevention are in place either, so you'll be using the same group of muscles and performing the same handful of motions upwards of 200-300 times per shift.
Pros
Profit sharing, PPE reimbursement
Cons
Barebones training, negligent management, long hours, low pay, short breaks
Heavy hard labor work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Logan township n.j.September 14, 2018
Poor management. Heavy labor job for cheap pay. It's a slave camp. The lowest workers work like slaves. Have to be in good shape or your on trouble here.
Depressing
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Logan NjAugust 19, 2018
Management is terrible. I've worked there myself. They claim they give you the necessary resources and then throw you to the wolves. Jobs that are supposed to be superiors get pushed on the lower level guys and more time than less the supervisors know less than their operators and technicians. They give no raises outside of a quarter a year and you are basically an expendable piece if equipment instead of a human being.
Pros
Benefits and Pay is good
Cons
Management is horrendous
Definitely a fast paced company that's for sure. I'd be working everyday maybe one day off a week. They adjust the schedules alot.
Downstream Technician (Former Employee) –  WashougalAugust 19, 2018
Over all. Great factory, I love the personnel and the staff. Minus a off day as they come. Everything in the company is like a well oiled machine. Maybe just a little more time off for the family or catch up on sleep.
Pros
Decent career choice, decent pay
Cons
Not the best operators on the job.
Mandatory Overtime is the Norm
Spouse (Former Employee) –  Harrisonville, MoAugust 11, 2018
DO NOT work here!

My husband works at ADS. In the 8 months he has been there, he has had 2 weekends off and maybe 5 Sundays off. He works mandatory overtime everyday, often 12 hours.

As a new employee, he does not have any vacation days.

The pay is very low for the manual labor he does.

Our family suffers because of the lack of quality time but ADS couldn't careless.

You owe it to yourself and family to find a job respectful of your family life.
Pros
None!
Cons
Forced manditory overtime
Awful management
Inside Sales Engineer (Former Employee) –  Buford, GAJuly 16, 2018
Company did not deliver what was promised. Manager did very little to advance me in the company. Manager has an overall attitude of not caring and satisfied with status quo.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Terrible management
Great place to work. Family oriented.
Plant Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, OHJune 20, 2018
Depending on your interests and goals there is opportunity to improve and better yourself. Great place to work. If you take care of them they will take care of you. Management is very understanding and care about family.
Summer work
Yard Laborer (Former Employee) –  New JerseyMay 29, 2018
Long days loading trailers, overall it was a good experience the guys were always great and the management was exceptional great work experience......
Operate, load, unload industrial machine shop equipment
material handler by removing stacked (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MS 39272May 22, 2018
Operate, load, unload industrial machine shop equipment
•Must have good communication skills (written and oral)
•Must be a team player
•Must be able to understand and follow directions the first time they are given
Pros
no free lunch
Drivers treated as second class
Driver/Delivery (Current Employee) –  Washington StateMay 1, 2018
forced overtime without overtime pay. drivers paycheck threatened for refusal to work unpaid overtime. Management trainees are put into management positions when not qualified. Corporate HR will not respond to complaints. Forced to sign reviews if you want your paycheck. Promised safety bonus is used as a tool to control and usually not given .you have to really track your hours to make sure you are paid for what you work
Pros
typical big corperation
Cons
What is prommised is rarely given
Bad company
Driver (Current Employee) –  United StatesApril 22, 2018
Driving for ADS is no different than driving for a big box trucking company. Truck drivers are treated like garbage and the pay isn't that good either. As others have mentioned- you will spend hours working for free and driving old worn out equipment. Duct (tile) tape, twine and vise-grips hold the trailers together. ADS top concern is shareholders -not employees or customers.
Pros
Not very many
Cons
manager, bad safety culture, pay, benefits, bonuses
Very Poor Management
Production (Current Employee) –  Ennis, TXApril 18, 2018
I would not recommend this company to anyone. Management is very poor at the Ennis,Texas location. HR claims she is there to help you yet when you go to her with an issue it is then relayed to your manager and retaliation begins. Once you bring an issue to light your days working here are numbered. If you want to make this a long term employer you are best to never voice a concern. Supervisors and managers do nothing to help their employees.
Benefits
Cons
no breaks, low pay
Okay Place
YARD OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Buxton, NDApril 18, 2018
Seems like a great place for a young person to start there work career. Extremely busy in the summer months, winter months are much slower. You will be put to any job that will keep you busy
productive fast pase
Downstream Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington StateApril 16, 2018
the work place was a fast paced environment. i learned how to operate drill machine, that drilled holes to specific spec needed by the buyer. the hardest part about the job was having to train my self on some things
Varry poor work workers an managers
Dst (Former Employee) –  Eagle Grove, IAApril 2, 2018
Would never recommend ! They are all a bunch of liers two faced people . say you are getting hired for a line op job but you have to start as dst then never help you or let you know how to advance vary poor work enverment you get rewarded for being the work place tattle tale
Pros
Cons
Everthing
great culture
Technician (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHMarch 29, 2018
I really enjoyed my time at ADS. The only reason I left was due to moving to a different state. The product is fantastic, my manager was excellent, and there was room for career advancement.
Pros
great co-workers
You will live to work
Downstream Technician (Former Employee) –  Harrisonville, MO 64701March 27, 2018
To the poor soul who is applying, heed this warning...
You will work an average of 10 hours a day, 6 days a week with the occasional 7th from time to time with a pitiful amount of PTO at your disposal.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, decent coworkers, great chances of advancement
Cons
See title
horrible place to work
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Mendota, ILMarch 26, 2018
horrible place to work don't care if you have something going on or a family they work you to the bone. an have to use vacation just.to get a weekend off
Cons
everything
Good place to work, great pay
Line Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Eagle Grove, IAMarch 23, 2018
I enjoyed working here! started as a downstream technician, I enjoyed this position because it's very physical and you weren't doing the same type of work day in and day out. I ended my employment as a line operator and I enjoyed it as it was challenging and of course a very nice pay increase! Sadly I had some issues at home which in turn cost me my job, would love to work here again and would highly recommend it to others.
Pros
Great pay, benefits, job variety, opportunity to advance
Cons
At times we did work alot of overtime
Poor management
Driver (Current Employee) –  United StatesMarch 19, 2018
Manager favors a few drivers. Bonuses and events for employees and families are diminishing. I was afraid to put a truthful review. Because when I did a truthful review for a vendor my job was threatened. I didn’t leave no information from who I was or where I worked either. Also I’m mileage so I give to the company close to 10 hours a free labor. They don’t seem to care. Great mileage pay but pre and post trips are free.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Management, pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Advanced Drainage Systems. Our community is ready to answer.