Advocate Health Care Employee Reviews

Times are Changing
HR COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILOctober 2, 2018
Advocate Healthcare used to consider their associates their most valuable asset. That has changed a bit lately. They have always cared about patient quality and satisfaction however now they are driven by the quality and patient satisfaction surveys. Associate satisfaction has fallen to the wayside.

Most of the company benefits are great. The continually review their compensation structure to remain competitive in the marketplace. The medical benefits still need work. The premiums are high and the HDHP's are expensive both in premiums and deductibles.
Pros
Dedicated Associates
Cons
Each department has their own culture and it can clash with other areas.
Great Culture
Admin Intern Risk Management (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILOctober 31, 2018
This company does not micromanage you. They have great leadership and I love that they push you to do what you love. They will always try their best to improve and find something for you that may enjoy.
Pros
Great work environment, I was a Intern, but there are many benefits. Competitive salary, Pto, Sick Leave, Maternal Leave, 401k match, Pension Plan, and few others I can't think of on the top of my head
Cons
I cannot really think of any, they are a great company to work for.
You can read what I wrote as to why I left.
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILDecember 5, 2018
I was terminated basically on the spot for a HIPPA violation that I did not commit. I was devastated and received zero support from HR and had no level warnings. After nearly 16 years, dumped!!
Pros
Good benefits, many good nurses and doctors, fair pay.
Cons
Management is not supportive, raises are very small.
Work life Balance
Disability Specialist (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILNovember 5, 2018
They care about work-life balance, Benefits and pay were great. If my Job was not outsourced to a third party, I would still be working there. the work environment was great and I never felt stressed even when the deadlines were fast approaching.
Pros
Never felt like I did not want to go to work
Cons
getting outsourced and not getting another job internally
OK for a temporary job, not a long term career
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Park Ridge, ILNovember 11, 2018
So so , benefits are ok, management is not, they don't like to hire from within, but they reimburse you for school, a lot of mean spoiled doctors, no respect for x-ray techs, 30 minute lunches in the radiology department, no breaks
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
30 minute lunch no breaks
Understaffed.
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILDecember 31, 2018
Can be a very abusive environment. Some management not trained properly and don't know how to manage people. Departments are understaffed. Unreasonable workload.
Benefits
Cons
Work life balance
Good benefits.
Advocate South Suburban Hospital (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJuly 29, 2018
Advocate is now Advocate Aurora Health. Many changes are pending. Not sure if that's good or bad. I have been with Advocate for over 40 years and they have been a nice place to work. I am now looking for part time employment and currently there is not much available within Advocate, so that is why I am looking outside of Advocate. I need health insurance benefits, so that my limit my opportunities.
Pros
Decent benefits including PTO
Cons
Management could be much better.
Great people to work with.
Nursing Technician/Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILSeptember 16, 2018
A typical work day consist of 8 - 12 patient load. My day also depends on the acuity of my patients and the team work from my co-workers. All around Advocate is a great place to work and like other positions in other companies, there are always the ups and the downs to everything. I feel Advocate is fare in pay scale and in benefits offered.
Benefits
Cons
Always changing policies and procedures
Perfect place as a new RN
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILSeptember 1, 2018
I couldn't have asked for a better starting point! The experience, the support, the pay...I really couldn't ask for anything more from my first job as a Registered Nurse. I'm proud to work for Advocate BroMenn Medical Center and can see myself here for many more years!
Pros
Experience, teamwork, salary
Cons
Costly benefits, hospital culture issues
experience
Environmental Services Tech II (Former Employee) –  Oak Lawn, ILOctober 19, 2018
Very dissatisfied with the management and hostile work environment. Treatment of employees very unfair and often mistreated. Human resources process for employees was very unfair
benefits
Cons
bad management
Purposeful Work
Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 21, 2018
Advocate Trinity serves the communities of southeast Chicago. Individuals who have a passion to serve and provide a true impact on the health and wellness of a community would love to work here. The internal culture is friendly and there is a true focus on quality service and elevating patient experience. There are many changing dynamics with the system that has made recommending Advocate Health Care as a place to work challenging. - especially for non-clinical leadership positions. After the merger is fully integrated with Aurora things will stabilize. However, there are limited to no opportunities for advancement. I would say that the environment is high paced, busy, and often times stressful (it is acute care). On the positive side, when I was there I was paid well - no complaints. The benefits are OK - they have a high-deductible health plan or employees can opt for a managed care plan (i.e. HMO).
I would continue to recommend the system for physicians and advanced practice providers.
Pros
Sense of community
Cons
Limited stability or advancement opportunities for non-clinicians.
management are clueless
Logistics tech (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 31, 2018
i been working for advocate and two managers and coordinators don't what i do for years
the only ones that move up or get better raises are the favorites
Cons
worst hospital i ever worked for
Productive and wonderful place to work
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 2, 2018
Advocate Trinity Hospital is a great place to work with many advancement opportunities. I have worked for Trinity for 9yrs and enjoyed every moment. They have allowed me to grow and advance in my skills. I can not thank them enough for giving me the opportunity of employment and to grow my skills.
Benefits
Cons
Low volume
Perfect Work Life Balance
Gift Planning Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Park Ridge, ILJuly 18, 2018
Advocate believes the family comes first. They offer many full and part-time jobs with full benefits.

Each of the hospital have fitness center, exercise classes and training.

Working at a hospital is like being at home.
Pros
Gym, Cafeteria, Gift Shop
Cons
Associate Parking tends to be a problem
Productive healthcare environment
Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 31, 2018
From 2000 to 2006 my responsibilities as Director of Pharmacy at Advocate Health Care included, among other things, directing the department of pharmaceutical services (in-patient and out-patient) and providing consultation in the areas of infectious diseases and clinical pharmacology to the attending medical staff at Advocate Bethany Hospital. I was also involved in the planning and implementation of a Computerized Prescriber Order Entry (CPOE) system for the hospital consortium and a 340B drug discount program. Additionally, I participated in various senior management clinical care and patient safety activities within Advocate Health Care System. Specifically, at Advocate Bethany Hospital, I was a member of the leadership council that set the strategic direction of the hospital.
Pros
Excellent work place culture
Should be rated one of the lowest hospitals for treatment of employees.
Food and Nutrition (Former Employee) –  Advocate Christ Medical CenterMay 2, 2018
If you take pride in your job I wouldn’t recommend ever working at this hospital. This hospital supports bullies in the work environment as well as managers. The HR department will not do anything if you have a situation. They will come after you. Employees who sit around and do nothing all day are worshiped. Managers who have never managed are out in managerial roles and think they know best. I watched this for a long time until I left. Thank god!
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Endless
Professional
Patients Intake Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 7, 2018
A typical work day can be varied and challenging. Scheduling appts preparing charts to be sent, completing patient insurance forms, verifying patient information. What I learned working in a hospital be organized, understand the admission plan because each admission is different. Sequence and timing matters. Exchange dont demand because you have to create a atmosphere of collaboration. Management was very assertive. The workplace culture was Development, Strategy and goal setting. The hardest part of job was we have no control over wait times. When working in healthcare Team work reassurance and proper care. when you know hat the job entails and prepare yourself it allows you to be better equipped when stressful situations do arise. I just want my patients to have the best experience possible I will go above and beyond to make sure that the patient is well taken care of.
Flexible Schedule
Medicaid Billing/Collection Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILNovember 12, 2018
I love working here at Advocate mainly because of their flexible schedule. We are able to choose our start time with flexible hours between 6:30 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. They offer growth opportunity mainly within the departments but have no option to work remotely for the position that I work in. Working at Advocate has taught me a lot which has given me the courage to continue to grow even if its is outside of the company. Management is great here they will help you to advance to your next level if you are showing ability to want to grow. The most enjoyable part of this job is learning new things and being able to work as a team to complete task and lean new things.
Pros
Flexible start time
Cons
No paid Federal Holidays
Poor work environment, unless you are friends of the exec team .
RN - Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILFebruary 18, 2018
Constant changes made in the department related to whims of Exec team and their cronies.
If you cost the company millions and you are well liked by the exec team, you don't have to worry about job security!

The Exec team will be sure to inform you're supervisor whether to make your job easy ,so it will appear you excel.

If not , give you the most work, without reprieve or support, blame you for their poor judgement and ensure you have a nervous breakdown !
Exec pets, follow you and take notes reporting when you go to the bathroom and where you ate lunch. They drive by your home when you call in sick to see if your car is in front of your home.
They report if you are working a second job etc.

NICE right ?
Pros
Nice Benefits
Cons
see review
Flexible and love people I work with
EICU Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJune 23, 2018
I have a flexible schedule and enjoy the people I work with. The benefits and perks are great. I also like being able to manage school and social life
Pros
Flexible, convenient, plenty of training, etc...
Cons
Time will tell

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Advocate Health Care. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss