Advocates Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Good Training Company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAMay 17, 2018
Advocates is great place to gain some experience and move on to better paying, more secure. There is a great deal of paperwork and meetings to attend. The work increases but the pay does not.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Lousy Pay, No Job Security
work summary
Assistant Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAMay 9, 2018
A typical day at work for me is usually hectic but most of the time fulfilled. I've learned a lot about human services through this company. My program director is fantastic and couldn't ask for a better co-worker. The hardest part of my job is juggling so many different things at once. The most enjoyable part of my job is by far, working with my individuals. I've grown very close to these individuals and making sure they have what they need is very important to me.
Pros
community outings, quality time with individuals
Cons
no holidays off, long hours, a lot of added work on top of duties that need to be fulfilled.
Perfect balance of life and work
Carer (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NYMay 9, 2018
Working for Advocates was the best job I've ever had. I was able to chose my own hours, how many clients I wanted to take on, meet-n-greet with potential clients, great pay, no weekends if you didn't want them. They offer a fantastic support system with someone at the office to help out with paperwork. Part of one client's cool down until we parted was to go back to their house and watch a couple cartoon episodes. I think the most frustrating part of the job is trying to convince them to do something they don't want, i.e. exercising or trying to eat healthier. I honestly don't consider any part of the job to be hard but I suppose filling out the daily paper can get tedious and annoying, especially since you have to record your own mileage to get reimbursed for it. Paperwork just took getting into a routine of filling it out, I would take 5 or 10 minutes at each location to reset my trip timer and fill in the necessary information. It isn't hard unless you're waiting until the very last minute to complete it. There is also the potential to make more than the 'low' starting pay by taking on clients that need more assistance in their daily routines. There's always someone there to help with paperwork. I loved working for Advocates so I was able to find enjoyment in everything I did.
Pros
Mileage reimbursement, choosing own hours, walks in the park on warm days, gym access for free if client has pass
Cons
No flipflops (in the office while working)
Great organization, better on the ground supervision needed
Mobile Clinician (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAApril 23, 2018
Advocates is a great company but some positions don't have the supervision or support many people may need or want when working in the field with severely mentally ill individuals.
Great place to be
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAMarch 1, 2018
I love my job! The agency at large is collaborative and supportive. They have been accommodating and flexible. They care about their employees and it shows! Pay is great for a non-profit and their values and beliefs show in what they do on a daily basis.
Pros
Management, flexibility, pay
Cons
This is an excellent organization
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAFebruary 28, 2018
This is an excellent organization to work for. I am currently traveling quite a bit to see my clients, and am exploring options for a role that would involve less travel to see clients.
Advocates Inc is a diverse team.
PROGRAM MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Natick, MAFebruary 15, 2018
I love Advocates because they are an equal opportunity employer. The are diverse employer and care for the individuals that are in their care. They listen and act. What I do not like is getting overwhelmed when a deadline is closed by.

On a typical Advocate's day, I begin with all the administrative assignments, supervise my staff and coordinate clinical support. Later in the day, I communicate with doctors, clinicians, therapists and family members in line with the individuals well-being. I get on the phones to make appointments (medicals & entitlements), and help with the care of the individuals.
The hardest part of thee job is when staff is taken off the schedule because of expired certification, disciplinary action or some sort then we are doomed to work short. The most enjoyable part is when we pass the state inspections and all is well with our individuals.
Pros
week ends and holidays off
Cons
distance was a killer
Exemplary
Lead Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Ashland, MAJanuary 18, 2018
I first started this company a little over a year ago and have truly enjoyed working here. They are understanding, posses great communication skills as well as doing an awesome job to maintain the safety of the individuals we serve. As far as staff, they are like family right in the door and never make you feel unwelcomed or uncomfortable. This company has been a joy to work with, the only reason I am leaving in a few months s due to relocation from something that is out of my hands. I would completely recommend anyone to work for this company.
Pros
Comfortable, great management, benefits, individuals
Cons
Some staff arent the best but nothig that can't be fixed with training
Joy soical deaf people
Overnight Staff (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MADecember 3, 2017
Part time and Full time..
I learn of different clients have emotional personal..
Management good and teaching us how right path with clients.
Workplace culture is many deaf client easy commination with us.
The hardest part of the job medical order must have MAP..
The most enjoyable part of the job is work team meeting and carry foods social clients/staff too..
Pros
meeting staff
Cons
work teams
High stress/low pay
Clinical Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MANovember 27, 2017
Very stressful work and low pay to compensate for it. A typical day may include anything from helping someone through a psychiatric crisis, cleaning a toilet, managing staff, or completing a large amount of paperwork. If you like having busy days where multitasking is a MUST, then this would be a good fit. Environments are high energy, and what Advocates can squeeze out of you, they will. If you get a good supervisor, the work is still stressful, but you will feel supported throughout. Not all supervisors treat people the same though, and there is zero systematic unity throughout the agency. Get ready to learn how to do something at least 5 different ways as told to you by 5 different supervisors. Workplace culture is actually very friendly and somewhat relaxed. Time off is amazing, and taking mental health days is very much encouraged. Hardest part of the job is the unpredictability, lack of good training (you get thrown right in), and no systems in place. While Advocates is such a huge agency, you can actually feel very isolated since each program operates completely separate from the others. This would include budgets, staff, work load, client cases...etc. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with knowledgeable professionals in the field, and meeting the wonderful clients supported by advocates.
Pros
Time off, nice co-workers
Cons
Bad training, unrealistic work load, disorganized, poor communication
Fun and exciting
Senior Residential Counselor/Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MANovember 24, 2017
Advocates is a great company to work for. It is a fast paced environment where a person can grow and learn as much as they feel necessary. Advocates is fair and understanding.
Stressful and low paying
Director (Current Employee) –  Marlboro, MAOctober 12, 2017
Too many demands for paperwork and client care is lessened.
High demands for such a low paying job.
Staff is undervalued
No systems to ensure middle management is professional and following agency guidelines.
Pros
Not an office environment and earned time
Cons
pay is low, stress is high
Agency that seems to be trying to do the right thing.
Clinical Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MASeptember 22, 2017
Adovcates is a company that tries to do the right thing by it's employees and the people that it serves.This includes person-centered planning and intentional care standards.
Pros
strong program ethics and standards
woundnt recomend client nor worker
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MASeptember 22, 2017
mandating staff to stay extra 8+ hours often, over worked under paid. mandatory meetings often, staff told less then 24 hours notice in advance. nothing happens to fix issues brought up at meetings.

company doesn't seem to care about individuals nor workers. lacks respect for individuals as well as staff, management bully staff. Lots of promises without any follow thru. Unsafe working conditions for individuals as well as workers and complaints are minimized. Excessive paperwork especially with pay rates as they are. Bad Management, pay so low can not afford competent workers. a lot of racial problems that made it uncomfortable to work there and when ask for help from upper management they were unable or unwilling to help .Management is lost and on a downward spiral. They don't practice the "Advocates Way" with staff members.

Some clients can be violent and sometimes assault staff or other clients, when need assistance management ignore / pretend it never happened/ when client is in obvious mental downward spiral it gets ignored for weeks even when staff bring it to attention to management.. will not let workers take time off and make staff get half pay when need to cash out
Do not recommend, worked full time for over 21 months

human rights workers and individuals
mandatory meetings staff told less then 24 hours notice in advance often
Pros
clients
Cons
see above
productive and fun place to be
Direct Care Councilor (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MASeptember 21, 2017
its a place to learn and for career advancement.management is not over the board and a lot of work needs to be done to make it more enjoyable for staffs
Experiences
Relief Direct Care Counselor (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAAugust 31, 2017
It's great to work with various with clients who have special needed, and it's gave me more openly up to share with them to teach them and what is right things to do in their life.
job was enjoyable
Advocate receptionist (Former Employee) –  SindhAugust 24, 2017
The job was enjoyable but salary was so low thats why i dislike to work there . i want some handsome salary as i have skills.i can do much more as written.
Pros
yes lunch was free at the office
Cons
half hour short breaks
Great place for team work
Direct support staff (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAAugust 5, 2017
I learned how to work with a lot of different people all with varying personalities and this didn't even include the clients we attended to, I learned a lot about myself and gained a lot of knowledge on how to navigate professional settings
Pros
great vacation time
Cons
working overnights less social time with loved ones
Great community outreach postiton
Registered Nurse coordinator/supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ashland, MAJune 15, 2017
Advocates is a great place to work if you enjoy working with special needs individuals that are partially independent. It was always rewarding to see how regardless of your position you still had a huge affect on the lives of each individual. With that said there are numerous issues with management, mostly that there is not real support for staff.
Fulfilling
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NYMay 17, 2017
• Assisted people with special needs in performing daily personal care, run errands, and housekeeping.
• Displayed initiative in performing daily tasks.
• Performed tasks with love and compassion towards clients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Advocates. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight