AEP Energy Employee Reviews

Poor Management
Strategist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 14, 2019
Poor management , and work life balance. Favorites are chosen every day. It’s all about who you know and who you become friends with. Management can be inappropriate. Start up culture replaced with old men who turn the tide in their favor always
Good
Retail Sales (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 21, 2019
Have worked here for 3 months struggled at first but my boss has done a lot and now I'm doing better than ever. Good benefits and amazing work team and staff.
Attractive Internship Opportunity, but poor Management
Sales Intern (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 8, 2019
This position is a great lesson in Sales Pitching, however The recruiter for this position was not fully transparent on the requirements for this position and what it entails. You are initially told you have to option of doing door-to-door or in a retail space, but they actually choose it for you despite oncoming intake classes being assigned to a setting you may have initially preferred. Doing door-to-door there is to assurance of your safety. If you do not meet a particular goal be it Sales for the week or knocks per day in 90 degree heat, you are placed in a warning process and the remedy is to be shadowed by a trainer or supervisor. However my requests for Shadowing before and after my one and only warning notice went ignored. By the 4th week of being in the field, over half of my 20+ training class had quit. If you don't mind door-to-door sales, this would be ideal, but its as if there is a lack of support unless you are a high performer and there is not complete transparency during the Interview on the details of the Internship.
Lead Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 5, 2019
I needed a change in career. Got exhausted fast. Too many hours and demand not enough time for my family. Not a friendly company to work for, sometimes felt like a space
Horrible for mental health
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 21, 2019
I started about 6 months ago and this company has really taken it's toll on me. The management is really good at selling you on the company but it sucks. You have to meet your quota to get put into new territory. Even if you're only 2 sales away and only have 2 houses left. They treat you great at the start and then flip on you. No job has ever made me harm myself or want to before. I'm ashamed I still have to work for this company
Office Environment and People were fun to work with.
Field Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 20, 2019
I enjoyed working there. I didn't mind bad weather, and I enjoyed seeing and learning about the Columbus area. I did not like the fact that we were required to work weekends however.
Pros
Good work environment.
Cons
Being forced to work weekends.
Not What It Once Was
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 10, 2019
When I was hired into this company I was told that our mission was to help people. That was something that drew me to the job because that it something that I am particularly passionate about. But upper management changed around half a year into working there and that mission changed very abruptly. Customers are no longer viewed as or referred to as people but rather as simply financial figures for us to capture.
Fun
Easton (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 5, 2019
Was a great place to work, but sales was not for me. Walking from door to door saleing people energy. Many people in Columbus didn't want to be bothered with it! AEP staff and management was Wonderful!! They really care about the sales team and staff. This job is for interns, or young adults.
Pros
Great enviorment
Cons
Walking and going to the same houses over and over, with no luck
Okay
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 28, 2019
Provides opportunity to learn about the industry and allows for a lot of process development and IT work
All systems are built from ground up and all get to have input
cool place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 10, 2019
sups are chill and work with you to improve skills. strict on adherence and call quality, but that is why the sups do coachings. company also does pot lucks almost every month.
Very good team ethic and great co-workers
Door-To-Door Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 19, 2018
Great coaching skills
Great understanding
Weekly pay
Travels to different counties
Meeting new people everyday
Team work
Patience

This job is required to work outside assigned to areas.
Must have at least some type of experience in customer service and great comprehension.
Pros
Great laughter, & energetic co-workers
Cons
N/a
Productive and a fun work culture
RESIDENTIAL SALES (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 25, 2018
While at AEP Energy I was thankful to learn more about their recruiting process. I was initially brought on the residential field sales team, and eventually helped assist in the interview process. My managers helped me gain a better understanding of recruiting and that was definitely the most enjoyable part of the job.
Great company with great advancement opportunities
Energy Consultant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 11, 2018
This is a great place to work if you enjoy sales. Performers will always be rewarded in pay and promotion!

Great camaraderie among peers, friendly tight-knit culture, and a nice modern office space
Pros
promotion within
AEP Energy
Certified Sales Trainer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 8, 2018
This was a door to door sales job. My typical day involved a meeting with role play daily, then it was off to our territories where we would work to cultivate relationships and build business. I learned how to interact face to face with prospects. I learned that time management and working efficiently was crucial to the success of myself and my team. The culture was very competitive, but also very relaxed because you were your own boss and could work as fast as you wanted. The hardest part of this job was the ice on sidewalks. The most enjoyable part of door to door was meeting all the different people, and the interaction you had doing a job a lot of people wouldn't do.
Pros
work at your own speed, your own manager, make as much money as you possibly can
Cons
lack of benefits, reliability on the weather
Good space to spend each and everyday in
Energy Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 24, 2018
Good group of people. Great culture. Hires/promotes internally. Very diverse and engaged group of employees. Relaxed office environment while still maintaining a challenging and results-focused workplace.
Pros
unlimited time off
Cons
Poor compensation
n/a
Customer service representative (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 29, 2018
Aep energy was ideal. However once you get your foot in the door to me the same positions was available, You really have to enjoy talking on the phone. But of course this job is a call center so that's just the requirement of the job position.
Great place
Trainer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 25, 2018
I’ve been working here for over a year,and it’s great! I’ve never worked in such a positive environment, the culture is amazing. There is a lot of room for advancement here and they take it seriously. It’s not a hard job if you are ambitious. You can also make good money. The management is great and everyone that is on the advisor team helps each other. The people feel more like a family than co-workers.
Pros
Money, benefits, Pto, Advancement opportunity
Cons
Fast pace
Its a job
Residential Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 19, 2018
If you're a student looking for a summer job, a recent graduate wanting sales experience, go to AEP Energy, they'll hire you. Expect to work from 11am to 8pm in the summer time and 11am to 7pm in the winter time. The supervisors, only care about the numbers of sales you get for them. TheRe is NO work-life balance and very little growth within company. If you're a person that just wants a job and you can knock door to door then look at AEP Energy, if you want something more, keep looking.
Pros
Learning of sales
Cons
No work life balance, no leadership in supervisors
Productive work place
Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHMay 26, 2018
Nice work environment as far as people but very unclean work space provided . So that caused me to quit quickly, cause of a bedbug situation and getting bit.
Ok place to work
Customer Care Advocate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 16, 2018
It was a fast-paced working environment at the beginning of the week. Towards the end of the week things would slow down. Some of the people that work there are the best people you will ever meet. In reverse there are some people who are not so great.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AEP Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight