AeroVironment Employee Reviews

Just a job
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Simi Valley, CASeptember 19, 2018
Not really good or bad. This is a job and it pays the bills. Coworkers make it an ok place to work as there are many good people willing to work together.
Pros
Lunches
Cons
Lack of planning
Mission driven with Latitude to Run Your Job
Manager of Government Accounting Compliance (Former Employee) –  Monrovia, CASeptember 12, 2018
I was a contractor, so my perspective may be skewed. My observation and experience is that you are given the freedom to manage your own job as long as you are meeting the mission. It is a friendly, cooperative environment where all levels are treated with respect.
Pros
Personal job control, open communication, calm atmosphere
Cons
The size of the company limits advancement opportunity, but not necessarily compensation.
A Day At Work
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAAugust 8, 2018
I like my job and I appreciate my job here at AV. I have decent benefits and my manager is easy to get along with. I get my work done and if I have to much I can discuss it with my manager.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Can't bring your dog to work, need a car wash service
Brilliant People
Flight Simulator Architect (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAJuly 9, 2018
You get to work with some of the world's smartest people. If you are not passionate about what you do, don't apply. There's a reason why their planes hang in the Smithsonian.
ability to take time off for personal reasons
Test Technician 3 (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAJune 28, 2018
very laid back atmosphere. you get to work with all kind of personalities and people. mostly asian and mexican workers there. there is alot of cookouts.
Pros
free lunch every quarter
Cons
need better leads to use resources
It seems good to an engineer starting out.
GRAPHIC ARTIST/TECHNICAL ILLUSTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Monrovia, CAJune 23, 2018
I has been a very long time since I worked for this company. I have learned through a friend that I know that works with the company that it is working closely with the government on some projects.
Enjoyed it while I was there
Senior Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAJune 14, 2018
I recommend this company. I enjoyed it while I was there. Great people. Managers could use help, didn't seem like there was a lot of leadership skills on the middle-management team.
Pros
Good people. Good benefits. Good products.
Cons
Heavily male dominated.
Nice balance between assembly and helping engineering.
Production Technician II (Current Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAJune 4, 2018
Good place to work. Wish there was more work. I was laid off because the work load they anticipated never materialized. I learned a lot about military drones and what it takes to keep them flying.
Pros
Good people to work with.
Cons
They do not hire temps like me because they seem unable to predict the work load.
Company without Identity
Principle Engineer (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAMay 17, 2018
In many ways AV is not what it use to be nor they can figure what they want become. Over all innovation drop near none number of patents near zero. As career growth is very limited if any. They want you work 60-70 hours a week to recognize you done something. Management so incompetent they only recognize employees who fail and spend hour trying to figure why there design didnt work, if it work they will assume it was an easy task. as growth potential there are none if you show you have one they most likely lay you off. if ask for a rise a promotion for career advancement you are on chopping block. you may get lucky and end working with one of good managers but even if they top leadership mostly incompetent do not even understand the market if you google there top leader you will find that most of them don't even have relevant experience. Absolutely they have no respect for you and you will be no more than a number. They are placed in the fastest growing market but there revenue is declining.

There are more project manager, program manager scheduling manger quality manager NPI manager product manager than they are engineers to do the work.
Benefits
Cons
Incompetent managment
Interesting work, great engineering staff, crippled management
Technical (Current Employee) –  Monrovia, CAMarch 2, 2018
Great engineering staff doing innovative, cutting edge work! EES has the potential to be an amazing place with the right support and resources, but management is crippled. The engineers seem to always be heroically rescuing projects from mismanagement.

Consistent layoffs over the last several years have seriously reduced the workforce and yet, the amount of work just keeps increasing to the point where folks are feeling burnout from over-work.

There's a philosophy among management that "lack of resources is no excuse for not meeting goals". This attitude is negatively affecting moral in the workplace.
Pros
Excellent engineering staff, interesting work, great benefits
Cons
Poor management, lack of support, lack of job security
Productive and fun working environment
Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALFebruary 26, 2018
I have been employed here for 18 months and have never had a better position in a company. The work is steady and sometimes very fast-paced, but the benefits of completing the work are fantastic. We have great customers and an outstanding support culture. Management is great, HR is great and the benefits/support team are great. I would retire here if I could.
Pros
No micromanaging
Cons
No advancement
Productive a gym to work out
A/P Analyze IV /Document Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Monrovia, CAFebruary 13, 2018
My experience working here at Aerovironment has been great, I would say this is a fun company to work for they have a gym, always severing food so the gym comes in handy.
Great company for the innovative and career oriented
Sr. Vice President, Strategic Operations (Former Employee) –  Monrovia, CAFebruary 13, 2018
I ran one of the two divisions. Was an officer. Had to re-tool for the evolving market opportunities. Made significant strides, and received a ton of support. At the executive level, there was a fair amount of politics, and I did the best I could to avoid that aspect of the culture (maybe to my detriment at times). Today, most of the leadership team was hired in by me -- real good people. I left after turning down the opportunity to be President, due primarily to personal reasons (quality of life, etc.). However, I keep in contact and wish these folks and wish nothing but the best of fortunes to them. Great little company.
Pros
In general, a very good culture
Cons
Chairman is a micro-manager and stifles growth to a degree.
Potential company in power electronics
Product Engineer/Sr. Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Monrovia, CAJanuary 23, 2018
Management should pay more attention for the converter business in marketing orientation. Level 3 Battery charger technology should go to high frequency to replace massive and expensive current design.
Positioning for Growth
Deaprtment Head (Current Employee) –  Simi ValleyJanuary 17, 2018
AeroVironment is an innovative place to work, and it cherishes and rewards the creative and hard working employees. Self motivated people thrive here. Clock watchers don't.

There are many opportunities on the horizon.
Pros
Leading technology, stimulating environment, creative co-workers
Cons
Work flow Processes need improvement
Employees are focus on group objectives, 100% support from management
Planner / Buyer on Contract (Former Employee) –  Monrovia, CADecember 27, 2017
Every project is being reviewed regularly. Team effort was outstanding and every details of the projects were fully discussed. Participants are prepared for every session concluded. Management showed full support on every projects. Because of these employees/management support, majority of the programs were completed as scheduled.
Pros
Nice and encouraging organization to work for.
Cons
Becasue of contractual status, no benefits given (no holiday pay and insurance benefits.
Operations
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Monrovia, CADecember 14, 2017
Everyone does not communications with each other. If something goes wrong the lower level of the staff will be thrown to the bus. There is no advancement here. You are safe if management like you. If not, you will be layoff on the next round of layoffs.
Fast Paced
Buyer II (Current Employee) –  Simi Valley, CADecember 7, 2017
Aerovironment is fast paced environment to work in. However, benefits are great and compensation is not bad. Weather you like it or not will depend who and what department you work for.
Incompetent Managment
Sr. Power Electronics Engineer (Current Employee) –  Simi Valley, CADecember 6, 2017
AV have management cycle change every two years they never seem to know what they are doing even if they hit a good track the management will be change before it even can execute the plans. There almost no growth opportunity absolutely nothing. it use to be more layback but it become very stressful . this company have more managers and systems people than actual engineers who do the works. it the past it was a garage shop where just getting job done was all it matter now it seem they can not even do that
Challenging Enviroment and limited advancment oppertunity
Employee (Current Employee) –  Simi Valley, CANovember 8, 2017
AV has many wonderful people. The hardest part of the job can be waiting on management for the proper approvals to do the most trivial of tasks. Opportunity to advance is limited and takes a more than typical and significant time investment. You must be very agile and adaptable to be successful here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AeroVironment. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.3InHerSight Score

1.6Personal Development

1.2Career Opportunities

1.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight