Aetna Employee Reviews

Decent place to work in the past
RN Case Manager/Preceptor (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEMay 26, 2018
Things are changing drastically in the company and not for the better in my opinion. Advancement opportunities are available to selected individuals who keep themselves in the spotlight. Felt my talents were underutilized.
Pros
Supportive coworkers
Cons
So many changes not even management can keep up
Aot of changes
Complaint & Appeal Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 26, 2018
Overall I enjoyed the people I worked with, the expectation of the department I worked in was not realistic. The overtime was always offered so that was always a plus. I worked in the corporate world for over 25 years...it was time to move into the entrepreneur world...the experience was great BUT it's time for GREATER!!
Nice place
Financial Analysis Analyst (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMay 25, 2018
I enjoyed working for them. They provide excellent training and a cozy atmosphere. My coworkers were pleasant and we were rewarded for our work. I would recommend this place to others.
Great Company For Advancement
Provider Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 24, 2018
A typical day at work is being challenged with resolving on going provider relation issues while continuing to educate the provider on policy and procedures.
Well respected company with a history of quality
Medicare Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Multiple LocationsMay 24, 2018
I loved working for Aetna. I felt empowered, supported and respected. I worked from home for my entire 15 years there and was given the ability to do my job my way. However I was able to ethically and responsibly meet my goals was fine with management.
Pros
Trust and Encouragement
Cons
Lack of communication between departments
Temporary wish I could have stayed
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 24, 2018
the position at Aetna was a temporary position. I wish I could have stayed an advanced my career. Things in my personal life had gone on so I could not continue my employment there.
Poor Management-Clicks
RN-Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJMay 24, 2018
Management stays together despite whatever the case, you are and will be judged unfairly. Need to hire workers instead of trying to force you into the role and if you do not accept additional role yo will be placed on performance improvement plans and your performance evaluations by your supervisor will be rated below 3 making it difficult for you to continue your career with them.
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Poor management -clicks-
Can work from home
Case Management/ utilization eviee (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMay 24, 2018
Working from home no support from management expect you to produce a Great number of patients. Very critical of work. Management expects you to know job yet it changes daily. Preceptor not picks work, no time for lunch or breaks. Expect you to work overtime and not get compensation. Manager had nothing good to say about my work yet I have always got above average reviews at other jobs!!
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Too many patients high pt. Load poor training
Great Place to Work
Senior Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTMay 24, 2018
Great Place to work. Centrally located just outside downtown Hartford with ample parking. Leadership is effective and visionary. Encourage employee development
Jobs were outsourced
Claims Benefit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 23, 2018
Worked 2 1/2 then laid off. Jobs were outsourced. Benefits were satisfactory. Hours were great. There was a lot of fundraising. Great training. Flexible hours.
Pros
Great job training
Cons
Jobs were outsourced
better health of ohio
Prior Authorization Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 23, 2018
Working for Aetna was through the temporary service Total med. The position was temporary, but the better health of Ohio branch was new and very unorganized. Personally resigned due to multiple management issues. My previous lead no longer works for the plan due to this.
Pros
with time could grow to be a good place to work (nice cafe)
Cons
management/organization issues
advancement
Customer Advocate (Current Employee) –  Sunrise, FLMay 23, 2018
More room for advancement is needed as well as supervisor that are knowledgeable. Training does not prepare you for the tasks that you will be facing. The benefits are good.
Good place overall
Sales and Service Support Consultant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 23, 2018
Medical Benefits aren't great but pay is good.
They have a school loan repayment program and pay for school.
Management has your back.
There is plenty of opportunity for career advancement.
Enjoyed the work environment
Network Account Manager (Former Employee) –  New Albany, OHMay 23, 2018
The reason I left Aetna is because of their 10% promotion policy. I never understood why they helped me obtain my Master's Degree but would not then promote me larger than 10% of my current salary. External people could make more on a higher up job than an internal employee. At Anthem, they also have the 10% unless the base of the salary of the job you are applying for is greater than 10%. Then you at least make the base of that position.
great company but no room for advancement
Senior Informatics Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 23, 2018
A great company. I love my coworkers, I love my bosses. The only negative thing I would have to say is that there is limited room for advancement. Work life balance is great.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
advancement opportunities
On a typical day
Clinical Pharmacist-Temporary (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 23, 2018
Came to work and went over what was most cases were most importantly pending.
Went over what changes were coming for the insurance(s) I was assigned to.
Most all hello's from management were done by Skype text. Went over our schedules for meetings on new guidelines for high dollar medications.

Workplace culture was all work; there wasn't a gym, or area where we could "let loose" When you come through those doors at the beginning of the day, you are there to work.
You have a quota to do so there isn't time for games.

The hardest part of the job is just that the quota, it is a pressure thing. There are some people in the "team" who will pick all the easy claims just for the numbers and then leave all the hard ones for others. Also, some of the restrictions are so set that no matter what a patient can not get the medication they need.

The most enjoyable is patient care. To know that I am making a difference in patient care and helping patients.
Pros
Potential work at home opportunities, relaxed dress code
Cons
Quotas, micromanaged
Solid company providing opportunities for advancement
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 22, 2018
The hardest part of the job was that training was primarily on-the-job. There were often numerous meetings throughout the day, and it could be difficult at times to get real work done during business hours. So not always, but often this contributed to working several extra hours a day to get necessary work done after hours. This, at times contributed to a work-life unbalance.

The enjoyable part of the job was working amongst wonderful peers and we were all willing and able to help each other as we had different backgrounds and levels of experience/knowledge.

I was fortunate to receive numerous promotions at the company and while I enjoyed a brief early retirement from the company, I would welcome a return to the company - I still feel a since of loyalty to Aetna and always will.
Pros
Generous PTO program, promote wellness, career advancement opportunities
Cons
Work-life balance was difficult at certain times of the month/year (but not constant)
not worth it
Director (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTMay 22, 2018
high turn over. very poor culture stemming from the CEO. Lots of work that doesn't go anywhere.
Good part is that you are compensated well, but not worth the time that you spend in bad culture.
Pros
total comp
Cons
culture
Work enviroment was stressful at times
Senior Underwriting Consultant (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAMay 22, 2018
All year round was busy, but certain times of the year were high level stress, made work life balance difficult.
Learned about the workings of the health insurance world.
My manager was very supportive and very dedicated to their team and the company.
Workplace culture had changed over the years in my opinion.
Hardest part of the job was the lack of work life balance.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working for great customers with great co-workers that supported each other.
Pros
Great Benefits, Salary
Cons
Work Life Balance
Management and culture
Network Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 22, 2018
The highest levels of management in CT are top notch.The company is an industry leader and is well respected. The culture is one of change, be ready for constant change. The opportunity of working from home is a great benefit.
Pros
Being able to work from home
Cons
Employee benefit packages are relatively poor with very high OOP costs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aetna. Our community is ready to answer.

51K
41.1K

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

71out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Aetna.