AFC Urgent Care Employee Reviews

Poor Management and favoritism
X-Ray Technologist (Former Employee) –  Sevierville, TNJanuary 2, 2019
This place has the potential to be great. However, management is poor and the favoritism shown to under qualified employees made it an extremely toxic work environment.
The turnover rate is extremely high.
You have to pay into ALL of your retirement.
The clinic is only closed for Thanksgiving and Christmas Day (not paid).
The owners expect fast service times (60 min or under door to door) yet demand labs and procedures be done, then complain about why people were in room over time limit.
The job is not difficult once you learn the equipment and test procedures, however if you don’t have a good teammate it is like you are doing the work of ten people.
Good for a first or short term job but nothing long term at this point. Unless you want to go into management there is no advancement opportunities.
You get a bonus based on performance each month however many of the categories are out of your control and depends on patient flow.
No real set protocols , made up or changed as management sees fit.
Drama and fighting between coworkers with no real disciplinary action or resolve from owners or management.
Pros
Monthly bonuses if you meet your goals, hands on experience and patient care, learn new things outside normal scope of practice
Cons
Toxic work environment, unrealistic expectations from management and owners, poor work/ family balance, poor benefits
Working situations
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 30, 2018
You can advance if you are younger, and willing to not call the Upper Management on things that need to be fixed or what they aren't doing.

Teammates for the most part help each other out, but if you are one who knows the systems and in the absence of a Center Manager you are taken advantage of without being given the proper chance to advance especially if you are not in the in crowd.
Pros
Great teammates
Cons
Advancement is not forthcoming to those who have worked hard for it.
Urgent Care
Lead Medical assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MADecember 19, 2018
I was blessed to have experienced working in a fasted paced Medical care environment, Patient care is first and foremost. Multitasking, patient care .
not recommended for medical assistants with families
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCNovember 1, 2018
A typical work day starts at 7:30am so that you can open the clinic for everyone. You were not guaranteed to have a doc come in on time, patients could wait up to an hour for a doctor to show.
You have to calibrate the machines for labs and check temps of refrigerators. You are not guaranteed a lunch. Most days you will work straight through lunch. You see patients until close which is 8pm. Even if all machines are logged off and you have cleaned the office and are about to lock the door, if a patient knocks on the door you have to see them. So there are many nights that you will not make it out of the office until 10pm.
It requires 12 hour shifts during the week and 8hr shifts on the weekends. There were times that I was scheduled to work 5 twelve hour shifts and the weekend as well. Upon talking to management I was rescheduled to work the 5 twelves and off for the weekend.
This is not an office that is respectful of families. If you want to just lose yourself in work and not have a home life then this is the place that you will want to work.
Also the doctors are constantly quitting.
Pros
Meeting new patients and working with different doctors almost everyday.
Cons
scheduled for 12 hours, but work 14 hour shifts a lot of times and your schedules is always messed up.
intern
Externship (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 24, 2018
Afc was a wonderful experience for interns. I gained plenty of experience in the little time of being there to really understand and know what I would like to specialize in.
Rad Tech
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Braintree, MAOctober 23, 2018
Terrible environment. As a Rad Tech you are more of a receptionist, answering phones, checking people in and calling insurance companies. Also, most likely being yelled at patients because they got a bill, too expensive, etc.

Maybe do 3-6 X-Rays a day, other than that at front.. oh and also doing MA duties.

Pay is horrible. Benefits expensive. Management has no clue.

Long 12 hour days, and it a patient comes in at 7:59 get ready to stay late. No lunch breaks because no other Tech to cover you.

Management knew nothing about Healthcare...just in it for the money, sort of the MO for these Urgent Cares. You do double or triple duty and get paid pennies.
Pros
It was close to my house.
Cons
No breaks, 12 hour + days, hostile work environment.
Its a joke
X-Ray Technician/Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cypress, TXOctober 13, 2018
Poor Management all around, offers no benefits no help renewing certificates, just uses you And treats you bad, no learning and no growing. People here Do more talking then work and actually taking care of patient.
Cons
Great company to work for
LEAD PATIENT REP (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXSeptember 26, 2018
Fun and busy place to work, there is not much rom for advancement with out new or higher certifications, and or degree. Manager needs more consistency favors some and is much harder on others.
Wobderful place to work at.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Hartsdale, NYSeptember 24, 2018
This is a very nice and professional place to work at. All my coworkers were well educated and quit respectful to each other. I would recommend a quit visit to meet the staff.
Poor Management and Hostile Enviroment
N/A (Former Employee) –  Braintree, MASeptember 7, 2018
Alot of overturn of staff and hiring the wrong people continually. Did not feel valued or that opinion mattered. The owner should consider replacing the manager and get more mature people to run the office and be part of the hiring process in person rather than exclusively let the manager hire and screen people.
Pros
location and flexibility
Cons
no breaks, poor management, hostile enviroment
Terrible Management
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 25, 2018
Terrible management lacking healthcare knowledge, micromanagment, playing employees against each other. This is a business owned company out for making a profit by any means necessary, even if that means submitting employees to a number of HIPAA violations on a regular basis. The pay is not worth the stress that this facility brings.
Cons
Management, HIPAA Violations, Pay
Easy, Repetitive Job
Medical Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsAugust 23, 2018
AFC is an okay part time job. Manager allows you to schedule work around other responsibilities. Work (e.g. drug screens, rooming patients, calling patients back) can get repetitive. Management is nice and will check in with staff but schedules staff long hours. Typically staff will work three 12 hr shifts to be full time. Position does not allow you to think independently and among support staff there is a general lack of understanding of medical terms/conditions. The hardest part of the job is the long work days and having to rely on the providers for constant direction. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the complex or unique medical cases.
Pros
Schedule flexibility
Cons
Short/no breaks, management
Great for additional training
cma (Current Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORAugust 13, 2018
Typical day starts off slow or fast because they take appointments and walkins so patients ad up really fast. You do learn a lot here because they want you to be certified in the duties they need you to do.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
High stress little pay. Micromanaged at times.
PRIMARY CARE PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Bonita, CAAugust 9, 2018
Great place to work. Supportive staff. Flexible schedule. Low Stress work flow. Various locations to choose from which cuts the monotony. Easy to find a back up provider in case of emergency call out.
Poor Management
X-Ray Technician/Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mira Mesa, CAAugust 6, 2018
Management has got to be the killer of working at this company. So many times shady things go on and people brush it off and sweep it under the rug. Nothing ever gets addressed and there is favoritism.
Unfairly treated
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Boiling Springs, SCAugust 4, 2018
I only worked here for 3 months. They let me go because they said I wasn't a "good fit" for the company. The manager made a list of things I done wrong but never brought them to my attention so I could fix them and used them against me to let me go. This is unfair and certainly not a way to treat your employees. Never knew what attitude the manager would have when they came in.
Pros
Team work
Micromanagement
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Havertown, PAAugust 4, 2018
Every shift I worked we were short staffed which meant the X-ray tech became a full time receptionist. On hire I was told I would function as the X-ray tech and medical assistant to triage patients and could help the front desk if I wanted to.. but I became the front desk person and when X-rays were ordered, I had to wait to perform them Because you were short staffed, you couldn’t leave the desk unless the medical assistant was available to cover it which also meant little to no breaks, had to wait to use the restroom, etc..for 12+ hr shifts. Now I’m used to urgent care and know breaks are few and far between, but to have to wait long periods of time to even use the restroom was horrible. The owner is a micromanager and watches the multiple cameras from home and will call you and question you about things he sees, like a patient leaving for instance. He speaks to you like you don’t know how to do your job, even though I had been working as a supervisor in urgent care for 6 years. The establishment had great potential and I was so excited for my future there, but it was all talk from management unfortunately.
Cons
Little to no breaks, short staffed, no trust from management, no compensation
Patient Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  West Islip, NYJuly 10, 2018
This by far has been the most amazing place I have worked at. The management treat you and the patients as if you were there own family. Everyone is super friendly and helpful. They pride themselves in making sure the patient and there employees are happy. Will continue to work here as long as I can.
Pros
Love the people i work with
Cons
not a good company to work for
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cypress, TXJuly 6, 2018
AFC offers no health insurance nor paid time off, NOR DO THEY PAY TIME AND A HALF ON MAJOR HOLIDAYS! owners only care about making money, they don't care for their employees or patients.

however. it is a good experience to work for an urgent care. just not this one.
Pros
Management is all about them
XRay technician (Former Employee) –  Narberth, PAJune 14, 2018
The manager makes new policys as he or she seems fit. Hours are long. No cleaning service. Shoveling, landscaping, 5 days pto includes sick time and vacation. Manager tells everyone's business to othes. No raises, hardly any x Ray's so you do all 30 drug screens to yourself in one day. Registration forms need to be updated, they treat it more as family practice than an urgent care. Manager can be very hostile and likes to cause drama.
Pros
Doctors are great!
Cons
Poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AFC Urgent Care. Our community is ready to answer.