After School Matters Employee Reviews

4.4
Ratings breakdown
Art
Summer Job (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 18, 2018
Worked on mosaic art designs and constructed mosaic art pieces. Made our Own Individual designs and collaborated to take from our favorites and create one big piece to construct al together.
Pros
The art
Cons
Pay
Fun activity’s
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 13, 2018
Simple job that required to just help set up activities for the kids and be involved with them. Having fun is really the point of this job and enjoying your time with the kids.
produtive and fun
After School Matters (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 12, 2018
a typical day at work would be me organizing papers for managers putting them in file cabinets. The other half of the day would be me answering phone calls and writing down reservations.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no breaks, no free lunch
Fun
Video Production Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 10, 2018
While working at After School Matters I’ve met numerous individuals whom all had very unique skills sets. You will come across several individuals all with different talents waiting to be explored.
Fun workplace
Cook (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 10, 2018
Well in this work place, I've learned how to hold a knife carefully for cutting things. The most enjoyable part of the job was when it was time to eat and so many interesting stories were told.
It was unorganized
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 7, 2018
While i was working ASM one of our instructors quit on us unexpectedly. We were told we weren't able to return after that. We were a good group of kids and didn't cause any trouble.
fun workplace
latin dance (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 4, 2018
Very fun and a great opportunity to be a leader and learn new thing. I learned how to become more mature and go to work on time. We would also do complex dances which ended up beautifully presented
productive
Jewelry Designer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 29, 2018
this was also a seasonal program that is for students from the ages of 14 too the ages of 18 who are into the fashion and jewelry world of design. We we'er taught many different techniques that stick with you
Productive and fun place to work, make friends and learn more about music.
Singer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 24, 2018
A typical day at work began at 9 am and ended at 3 pm. We would spend the course of the day working on perfecting our music and, sometimes, our choreography. Those who were in charge were strict but very kind and they showed that they cared about their singers. The hardest part of the job was memorizing the music, which always paid off when we got to perform. Because the job was a summer program, there was a set salary at the end instead of being paid hourly.
Pros
Fun, educational
Cons
Short breaks
Work Days
writer and editor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 17, 2018
Each day I helped students write poetry and help them edit their stuff. This job was a very brief one; only 8 week job during my junior year of high school. It was a lot of fun helping student write poetry.
Pros
Helped improve my writing skills
Cons
After school Job
After school program
Landscaping Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 16, 2018
After School Matters has hundreds of potential after school jobs. It's a matter of applying for the one's that interest you as soon as possible (spots fill up extremely fast).
Pros
hundreds of programs to choose from.
Cons
They're usually only available during the the summer.
You had to be physically fit
Drill Team Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 14, 2018
This was very challenging and different or me. My very first job you were getting paid to dance. We competed at competitions ad held fundraisers. Helped me learn discipline and what it really feels like to be part of a team.
Good job
After School Matters (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 26, 2018
The job was overall pretty good. Working with a team to create something was much easier than working alone. The management was nice and understanding, and the other employees were friendly. The hardest part of the job was trying to work on more than one thing at once but the most enjoyable part was being able to enjoy the fruits of our labor at the end/
Pros
fllexible hours
Cons
No constant pay
Fun place to work
Project osmosis (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 19, 2018
I met new people and enjoyed myself with my instructor and co workers. I learned the basics of graphic design and this job influenced me to make it a career in college.
Supportive and Engaging Program
Recreation Management (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 19, 2018
ASM is a great seasonal after school program for urban or inner city Youth allowing them to be able to safely be active, and stay away from trouble while earning money.
Friendly environment, you are able to interact with other and get to know them .
Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 13, 2018
After school matter was more of a program for a job, it was a training and it was the best because you knew you were going to do just fine in your new job because of what after school matters has thought you . Excellent program.
Positively Challenging
Film Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 13, 2018
After School Matters taught me a lot about working with a team no matter who's in it. I gained a number of skills through this program. It is treated as a job so that students can prepare for the real world. Excellent experience.
Pros
Very local/accessible, open-minded crew
Cons
Challenging skills needed to be picked up fast, little to no breaks
Refereeing little kids basketball games
Referee (Former Employee) –  ChicagoMarch 12, 2018
It was well worked. It was also fun to learn a new activity that my body wasn't used too, that's why I enjoyed the skill like I did. The pay wasn't just up to my standards but it was something fun to spare my time
Pros
Free lunches
The team was great
Seasonal Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 12, 2018
Working with the kids was great. I really enjoy helping the kids after school and during the summer. It was really rewarding. The kids really did gain from the program.
Very fun workplace
Dancer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 12, 2018
I loved everything about it, the dances were so well put together, the instructor did individual help, they made sure you had everything down packed. I loved it!
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Short breaks