After School Matters Employee Reviews

After school program
Landscaping Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 16, 2018
After School Matters has hundreds of potential after school jobs. It's a matter of applying for the one's that interest you as soon as possible (spots fill up extremely fast).
Pros
hundreds of programs to choose from.
Cons
They're usually only available during the the summer.
You had to be physically fit
Drill Team Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 14, 2018
This was very challenging and different or me. My very first job you were getting paid to dance. We competed at competitions ad held fundraisers. Helped me learn discipline and what it really feels like to be part of a team.
Good job
After School Matters (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 26, 2018
The job was overall pretty good. Working with a team to create something was much easier than working alone. The management was nice and understanding, and the other employees were friendly. The hardest part of the job was trying to work on more than one thing at once but the most enjoyable part was being able to enjoy the fruits of our labor at the end/
Pros
fllexible hours
Cons
No constant pay
Fun place to work
Project osmosis (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 19, 2018
I met new people and enjoyed myself with my instructor and co workers. I learned the basics of graphic design and this job influenced me to make it a career in college.
Supportive and Engaging Program
Recreation Management (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 19, 2018
ASM is a great seasonal after school program for urban or inner city Youth allowing them to be able to safely be active, and stay away from trouble while earning money.
Friendly environment, you are able to interact with other and get to know them .
Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 13, 2018
After school matter was more of a program for a job, it was a training and it was the best because you knew you were going to do just fine in your new job because of what after school matters has thought you . Excellent program.
Positively Challenging
Film Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 13, 2018
After School Matters taught me a lot about working with a team no matter who's in it. I gained a number of skills through this program. It is treated as a job so that students can prepare for the real world. Excellent experience.
Pros
Very local/accessible, open-minded crew
Cons
Challenging skills needed to be picked up fast, little to no breaks
Refereeing little kids basketball games
Referee (Former Employee) –  ChicagoMarch 12, 2018
It was well worked. It was also fun to learn a new activity that my body wasn't used too, that's why I enjoyed the skill like I did. The pay wasn't just up to my standards but it was something fun to spare my time
Pros
Free lunches
The team was great
Seasonal Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 12, 2018
Working with the kids was great. I really enjoy helping the kids after school and during the summer. It was really rewarding. The kids really did gain from the program.
Very fun workplace
Dancer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 12, 2018
I loved everything about it, the dances were so well put together, the instructor did individual help, they made sure you had everything down packed. I loved it!
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Short breaks
school
SPORTS TEACHERS AIDE (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2018
its a great way to star off your career in highschool. also look good on resumes. typically this is your first job on highschool. show you how to make your own income
Fun workplace
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  ChicagoFebruary 22, 2018
I will recommend any youth to work here . It was a fun experience working here for 3 summers with other adolescent people. I enjoyed getting to know people
Fun energetic place to work
Referee/Coach (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 21, 2018
After school matters is a great place to work. It has different jobs and training to choose from. It is for anybody whom wants to learn some new skills.
A Fulfilling Learning Experience!
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 20, 2018
After School Matters has allowed me to make a meaningful impact on the life of the teens I instruct. Teaching them hard and soft skills that will prepare them for their future is something you can't really put a price tag on. I have learned a lot of about myself by being a part of such an awesome organization.
Pros
open minded space, learning environment, passion project
Cons
lack of hours
Summer working program
Softball Coach (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 15, 2018
I enjoyed the things that I learned during my participation in this program. I do wish that there were more/better resources provided for the programs in underserved neighborhoods.
Pros
Fun work atmosphere
Cons
Poor work conditions and resources
Loving Culture
Dancer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 2, 2018
This After School Matters program taught me so much about the dance life and they taught me so many wonderful different types of dance that i will never forget.
Pros
Learn a lot about dance
Cons
New learners slow the pace.
Productive work place. Gives skills.
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 27, 2018
Gardeneers helped me learn how to take care of plants and how to grow crops. Digital media helped me learn how to work well with camera and new skills on recording. The both had field trips that were productive and helpful with the work we did.
Pros
Free snack. Decent breaks.
After school matters was a fun, productive place. By attending this after school matters program it helped you in a lot of ways by learning new things
Cook/Server (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2018
In this after school matters program we learned new recipes, new things to cook. We also tried new types of food to eat. We had a lot of fun cooking and trying food
Pros
Free food
Cons
Short breaks
Fun and productive
Retail/poet (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 24, 2018
This program causes great oppurnities that makes your growth in art become spectucular. Places that have outspoken actvists speak all over. Provides great after school lunch.
white boards on each side of room, art materials in cabinets, computers sitting around the wall of the room, and a podium in the front of the class.
Global Girl Media (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 23, 2018
I learned a lot from Global Girl Media. They mentored us, opened our eyes to real problems going on in the world, and networked us all around the city of Chicago giving us meaning to our name.
Pros
Off Campus Lunch, Work weekdays and weekends.