Afton Chemical Employee Reviews

Very challenging work.
Maintenance Manager & Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXAugust 2, 2019
I really enjoyed the work. Operators were abusive, poorly educated and hard to please. Received little support from senior management. Lots of demands for production but lack of support from company.
Pros
Decent pay, No shortage of work to do
Cons
Too much work, too few people.
Great people to work with and a great culture
Customer Technical Service Technologist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 10, 2019
The company itself is great and the people are fantastic. A huge emphasis on safety and an overall great culture to work in. The compensation and opportunities for advancement are below average, but they take care of the employees in other ways.
A good company with rich history
Scientist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 14, 2019
I am lucky to witness the company's growth when I joined in 10 years ago. It was a great time to see company's profit shoot up and everyone cheers. Now it is a different story. People started to leave and company started to cut cost......When the core business is threaten by evolving technology, management level is trying to survive on politics over technology.
Pros
Flexible working time
Cons
Career advancement
Great place to work, management isn't great
Chemical Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 14, 2019
The work environment is very relaxed and friendly, but there was never a contiguous message from management as long as I was there. If you keep your head down, you can go far.
Career Oriented
Driveline Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 4, 2019
Office politics are a major downfall. Great company benefits. on-site Gym and medical department. Salary is competitive to the industry. Great working hours.
First Engineering Job
Contract Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 19, 2018
I was hired on at Afton as part of a team of Contract Engineers. We were tasked with collecting data from the plant to determine if Afton was a major or minor source of HAP and VOC emissions. This was a part of the process for renewing the EPA issued Title V Air Emissions permit, and Barr Engineering was consulted to help do the project.

This was a great first job for me as a new Chemical Engineering graduate. In the span of two months, I took in a wealth of information. I learned about the big picture ideas like monthly production quotas, all the way down to the minute details of control valve actuation. The Senior Process Engineers were always available and willing to help, and they expressed awareness of my current standing in the industry. I am thankful for all of their help!
Great Place to work.
Mechanical Operator (Current Employee) –  City of Richmond, VASeptember 20, 2018
Great place to work, only issue is the Operations Department schedule changes every week while working, day shift, evening shift, or overnight shift. I've learned a lot while working here, most managers are great. The work place culture is different than most, events for the family through out the year.
Co-Workers are great, Union stands together, Management needs improvement
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXSeptember 5, 2018
Co-Workers are great, Union stands together, Management needs improvement. Teaches about honesty in the workplace, but fails to hold value towards those who give it freely.
Technician support for ATF Global projects.
Analytical Lab Technician, Gear CTS, ATF R&D (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 24, 2018
Sr. lab Tech. in the ATF R&D. Responsible for laboratory operations. Generated custom chemical mixtures. Performed chemical & physical analysis. Made shipment/no shipment decisions. Worked on projects with 4-5 formulators, Chemist, Advisor's.
Pros
Good team of people to work with.
Cons
laborsome. Since of ergency(RUSHES) was a norm.
Horrible place to / not fun
Warehouse Technician (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 20, 2018
managment rides you and you are always being looked at you.
People in management have workers in groups to constantly
watching people. Those people are in upper Technical Status postitions
Stressful place to work, others in same work area run from responsibilities and supervisors let them do it. I worked in a closet more or less with 3 and 4 people using same computer. People with qualifications to do their job have no idea what they are doing. I was asked to do a lead persons data entry work for them because they did not have the time? They could not find that person half the time but yet that's ok with the supervisors?
Pros
Monthly Safety meetings and safety is a priority.
Cons
overworked and always being watched, others favored by groups.
Stressfull
Chemical Lab Tech II (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 9, 2018
I felt that I was given more work than one person should be able to do, then criticized for doing it anyway. Employees that were efficient and able to keep up were penalized. Employees that were not able to keep up were coddled.
Awful
Electrical and Instrumentation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sauget, ILJune 4, 2018
The nepotism and buddy system thrive in this backwards plant that has no regard for safety. Spare yourself the hassle, and just don't. They do pay for a lot of meals on the days they expect you to work 16 hours for 2+ weeks without a day off.
Horrible management
Chemical Operator (Former Employee) –  Sauget, ILJune 3, 2018
Management sucks. Favortism. If your not sucking your bosses butt then you don't matter. Doesn't matter how good of an an employee you are. Quality and safety do not matter. Ask that matters is production.
Fast-paced, challenging,team encouraged
Sr. Process Engineering Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 23, 2018
Fairly rushed, but team support was available. Frequent reorganizations were unsettling. Communication within management groups was satisfactory, but inter-staff level communication could use improvement.
Pros
Good team support.
Cons
Lack of communication from higher positions to lower positions.
Great work environment
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Sauget, ILSeptember 25, 2017
Everyone is very laid back and approachable. If you need help all you have to do is ask. Very nice company and very nice people.

Would recommend for a permanent job or internship opportunity.
Great employer
R&D Driveline Lead Technicain III (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 2, 2017
Very family friendly place to work, great place to work with many skilled individuals, many different jobs opportunities within the company and many different locations
Chem Tech I
Chemical Technician I (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 8, 2017
Work demand can vary from being nothing at all to extremely overloaded in a short amount of time. Management seems disjointed and to not agree the best direction to proceed often.

Benefits are standard and pay is average for the job. Company culture is good but feels as if it's changing in a not so good way.
Excellent Company with Great Culture
Analytical Intern (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 18, 2016
I interned at Afton Chemical for two consecutive summers. In that time I met dozens of employees in multiple departments and had virtually no bad experiences with anyone. The employees seemed earnestly invested in seeing me not only succeed at their company, but in seeing me better myself personally and help figure out my career plan after college. All the employees I spoke to greatly enjoyed their time at Afton and the staff had very little turnover.
Productive workplace with relaxed atmosphere.
Test Operator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 28, 2015
A day will consist of paying attention to tests cell as well as the test data and specifications watching for things that will invalidate the test. We learn about teamwork due to small groups watching large numbers of tests, so you have to work good together. Working off shift hours we do not have managers on shift just shift leaders, and I am one of the shift leaders per seniority. The job is not that hard, the hardest part in when you have mutable services like gas reading and oil samples at the same time, and you will need to depend on others to complete correctly and on time. A good part is being with people you have worked with and trust to do the right thing when time calls for it.
Pros
lunches, group outings, good benefits
Cons
changings shifts alot, hard advancements
Chemical Operator (Former Employee) –  Sauget, ILNovember 16, 2015
This is a great company to work for. They care about their employees and do everything possible to make it a positive work environment