Age of Learning, Inc Employee Reviews

High turnover
Customer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAApril 3, 2019
Beautiful views of the city, nice modern offices, free game play, free coffee, free soda.

Management lacking in just being present sometimes which is wierd.

High work load, can be stressful at times. Sometimes work over your break time because sooo backed up.

They'll fire you in a blink of an eye.

Be wary what you sign upon hire. Agreement to terminate you without a reason.

But, hey... Free ice cream overall lol!
Pros
Nice workers, nice views, clean bathrooms, modern office
Cons
Lazy management, easy to terminate without cause
High turnover
production (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAJanuary 24, 2019
Check out all their reviews, they have a high turnover or they are constantly letting people go. People go on "vacation" and never come back, they don't even put in notices, they just disappear. They also are known for laying off people without much explanation. If you ask, most of their staff has worked under 5 years because they are constantly having to hire new people. They are focused entirely on their own financial growth and not enough on their employees well beings. This company has potential but sadly they are not working toward it.
Don't want to do this.
Customer Service department (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAJanuary 6, 2019
I really don't want to do this survery and I'm not sure why this website is making me do this. I think this is very poorly done by the website by forcing me to do this survery.
Customer Service Representative.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CADecember 2, 2018
During my 25+ years in customer service/sales, I would have to say that this was the most wonderful place that I've ever encountered. The reason that I was terminated was totally due to my inability to grasp the technology being used.

I'm from the old school environment of inbound/outbound customer service/sales and due to the fact that I pride myself on being a long-term employee and remained in positions using the old school technology, headsets, and phones, the new ways of the CSR passed over me, and I was totally unprepared. Even though the company gave me every chance as far as training, it was something that I was simply was unable to grasp in the time expected of me by the company.

Under the categories of pay, benefits, management, and workplace culture, I can voice not one single complaint. My disappointment lies with myself.
Pros
Everything.
Cons
Nothing.
Customer Support
Customer Support (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CANovember 30, 2018
Haven't been here a super long time but the company is great. Constantly improving tools for customer support to cut down on the wait time for customers to get through (2-10 minutes on average now). This means that customers are not already extra angry by the time they get through to someone. The company hires enough people to properly staff the office so that every one person isn't scrambling to do the work of three people. They also give CSRs the autonomy to decide on refunds, within company guidelines. This cuts down on escalated calls, multiple interactions with angry customers, etc. Most customers are just relieved to have the issue settled.

The benefits are amazeballs and they pay well above minimum wage for entry level. Also, schedule is steady and full-time, so no jerking you around with your hours. However, if it's a slow day, you are given the option to leave early. You don't get paid if you leave early but you don't get penalized either. You also don't get "in trouble" for staying for your full shift.

There are only two real bummers about the job. The first is that essentially 99% of the people you're talking to are calling in because they're upset. They thought they already cancelled their account and are still being billed, or the app isn't working, or their payment information isn't going through, etc. The good thing is that with some skill, you can get most people calmed down -- the key is to focus on the actual issues (technical, cancellation, etc.) rather than whatever they want to rant at you about. It's still hard on the ol' PTSD to hear that hostile
  more... tone of voice over and over, all day long.

The other bummer is that it is a subscription-based company, which means that people can be billed for years without knowing it. The company does not issue a reminder email (although, I believe they're working on that), and even if there were one, some peoples' accounts are so old that they don't even have access to those emails anymore. There needs to be an automatic pausing of the billing if the account hasn't been used in 6 months or longer. That would cut down on people cancelling 2 or 3 (or more) years after they had forgotten about their subscriptions.

I know that people kind of shake their heads and say stuff like, "yeah, well that's how subscription-based companies work" like that makes it okay. But this is a major reason why people don't trust corporations. It's a major reason why most people I speak to are already angry and mistrustful of me before I even answer the phone. It's not good for the morale of the CSR team and it's not good for customer trust. The products that the company sells are legit amazing. The company has invested in actual teams of people creating content and improving what we already have, and the price point is very low. But I think that most people would pay $5 more a month, knowing that the company isn't going to charge them indefinitely if they can get away with it. That might make up for losing out on charging people who don't use the product. The company could also save money by not needing as large of a CSR team, as the majority of the calls are dealing with this issue.

Also, this company gives their stuff away for free to teachers, schools, libraries, foster parents, etc. So, yes, we do need paid subscribers in order for the company to be able to afford to do that (and pay for mine and 600 other peoples' dental care) but we don't need to trick anyone out of their money if they're not actually using the product. I think a lot of these tactics are holdovers from old, bad business practices and also from the fact that in the past, maybe monitoring usage wouldn't have been as easy as it is now. But we're living in an era that, with instant access to pretty much anything we need, the usual BS of getting stuff done has made us more direct as a society. So it's time for corporations to start reflecting that change and not jerking people around. For a company that treats its employees this well and invests the time and money to create really high-quality products, these old practices are surprising and disappointing and fully fixable.

Anyway, tl;dr. It's a corporation but it treats its employees extraordinarily well in an era where most companies are relying on interns (unpaid labor) to raise their profit margins. The job is stressful, but it's a job for 1 person, you're not doing the jobs of 3 or 4 and the pay and benefits are well above average.
Pros
froyo machine, good break rooms, clean bathrooms, Cake Day
Cons
everyone you talk to is upset about something, billing practices
A strage place to work
Background Painter (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CASeptember 17, 2018
Unfortunately the story about working for AofL is not unique. The corporate culture that governs its fundamental decisions is quite in keeping with current ideals of putting profits over people; its disregard of the human element, its utter lack of internal development or even a reward system, means that most artists working there are always on the look out for something better, something more humane and responsive to the human potential to grow professionally within your field.
Pros
You may be lucky enough to work with a fantastic producer as I did!
Cons
The company strips their best producers of the power to do their best:(
Productive and fun workplace
Curriculum and Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAJune 23, 2018
this company has provided me with invaluable experience. i was able to learn about the logistics of marketing campaigning for very knowledgable professional.
productive and fun work environment.
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRSENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAJune 19, 2018
The company is very rewarding and acknowledges hard work. Management was very understanding. Dealing with customers is not for everyone and it takes time to get use to.
Lack of direction and poor leadership
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAApril 16, 2018
Company suffers from poor best practice implementation, lack of direction, inconsistent enforcement of company standards, and spaghetti code. Weird and ineffective combination of micro management and lack of direction.

No yearly performance reviews or salary adjustments (it's always "on its way").
Pros
Ambitious, cake, movies
Cons
No performance reviews or salary adjustment, Lack of focus, Considerable micro managment, Inability to execute
Fast paced in an easy going environment.
Assistant Manager Sale Specialist (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAApril 8, 2018
Age of Learning was an amazing opportunity and I would definitely refer anyone who wants to test the waters a of sales and commission. Management was great and always seeking to improve.
A progressive and evolving company
Designer (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAMarch 31, 2018
I learned so much at Age of Learning. They hire top quality people and have a beautiful work place. There is a real effort to make the best of things by upper management. Sometimes there is favoritism for certain employees who get advancement above others, and that can be heart-breaking at times. But overall, it is a fair place to work if you take that it in stride. It's a very progressive company willing to test out new methods and ways to improve efficiency and strive to be the very best; it's amazing in this regard. They hire good people, so the day-to-day is quite engaging and interesting. I always felt like I was surrounded by people who were passionate and knowledgeable in their discipline.
Pros
Nice Office Space, Free soda stream and ice cream. Company outings to museums and amusements parks or movies.
Cons
Nepotism
Great place to do meaningful work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CANovember 20, 2017
Mission-driven, highly talented team building the future of education. Fast-growing, dynamic environment. The company has 600 staff now, but still maintains an entrepreneurial culture.
Poor quality culture and inept management at executive level
Middle management (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CANovember 13, 2017
It starts at the top and trickles down to the executive team.....they hire great staff, treat them terribly, and cover their backsides. Days and weeks are very long and the negative culture in the office sucks the life out of you. Human resources is a joke, nepotism is rampant, and executives are not nearly as smart as they think they are. A lot of money was spent to remodel the offices and they offer free coffee and soda. Holiday celebrations take place during your lunch hour but at least they provide the food. "Cake day" once a month is not worth the long line to wait for a piece of cake and doesn't make up for the negativity during the other 29 days of the month. If the executive team weren't so worried about hiding the truth from the top, many of the problems could be addressed and talented people would stay at the company longer.
Pros
Glendale location is good, free soda, stand up desks
Cons
long hours, no privacy, negative culture, poor management
Very fun place to work
MALL CART FACILITIES COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CANovember 8, 2017
I loved my job and was very sad when they dissolved my position. My coworkers were great. And the owners made the office a place you wanted to be by providing plenty of creature comforts
Upper management does not seem to care for us employees
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CASeptember 25, 2017
It seems to have a somewhat high turnover for this type of company. Different product teams are soiled, and that creates a lot of "micro cultures. Some seem to have better working conditions than others.
Production timelines sometimes feel too hasty. It can be a bit frustrating from a creative standpoint sometimes to need to product content so quickly.
Pros
Health benefits, full-time.
Cons
Horrible environment to work in, management needs training Slanders employees.
Poor Communication
Customer Support II (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CASeptember 12, 2017
Management played favorites. It was like high school all over again where people had their 'cliques.' Lack of communication as to who is assigned to do what job.
Pros
cake day and unlimited amount of ice cream
Cons
management!
Really Good Environment for Learning
Digital Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 4, 2017
During my course of time here, I've learned plenty from my line of work. The work environment is really friendly and the company hosts all sort of events and provide classes and opportunities for those willing to learn. For me there's no "hardest" aspect of the job. For me I feel obliged to complete my duties because the company gave employees a fair amount of benefits. My manager is also a very positive person with awesome work ethics. You'll feel happy working here and accomplishing a lot while at work!
QA Testers. Treated the same as everywhere else
QA Tester/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAJune 20, 2017
Working here was a constant game. After paying your dues and working there for over a year, asking for any reviews for raises get swept under the rug or thrown on the back burner. QA team is too large, and people were hired who fool around instead of working. my experience at this place was pretty bad. No clue how some of these people get hired, don't work, and weren't let go after probation. A lot of new recruits just mess around, and would constantly be a distraction, were reported, and then were just moved to elsewhere in the company. It's like going to high school where they just put someone who doesn't work on time out for doing a terrible job. Also as a group we found out the newer recruits that veteran testers had to train were getting higher pay. The practices are shady, and the management was shotty. I loved working at this place, but once i saw it for what it was my eyes were opened. Stay away from this company. Company gives movie tickets and free food every now and then, but the compensation was really bad for a company with a great financial outlook.

Advice to Management
- Give your people a livable wage we shouldn't have to struggle in California while working at this place full-time when the company is now worth 1.5 billion dollars.
- Do a better job evaluating talent and giving constructional feedback to your employees to make them better, invest in your employees and they will invest to you.
- Hire people who can benefit the place and get rid of people who are Toxic influences. To many people are kept around who do nothing or distract co-workers with useless
  more... shenanigans.
- Do not pay new employees more than Veteran testers or employees. We always find out about the shenanigans eventually, QA is a tighter nit group than you think.
- Responsibility for the work paid needs to be more balanced if people are going to spend all their time working there.
- you cannot expect to keep Millennials around when you don't nourish their talents and promote individual career growth.
Pros
Company has great stability, No contract work, Steady work and the people who work in QA are friendly, Great benefits
Cons
low pay, training new hires who make more but are less experienced, management is horrible at talent evaluation, new opportunities dont really exist.
Fun place with less creativity
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAJune 9, 2017
Company likes to have fun.
Little independency.
Every line of code should be approved by lead before releasing it to production.
Less creativity. Can't start working on anything before software architect's approval and guidance.
It's a good place!
STORYBOARD ARTIST / ATD (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAJanuary 27, 2017
The company respects individual freedom and comfort. You wont
I really have nothing much to say except I really like the goal of the company. I am fascinated by how we wanted to educated people via all those fun and interactive learning experiences. The company has a great culture in that everyone is extremely friendly and respectful to each other. The management sometimes can seem confusing but people are definitely working their ways with each other to solve the problem together.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Age of Learning, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

Age of Learning, Inc Reviews by Location