Agilent Employee Reviews

Saturated Market Share under Attack by Competitors
RF & MICROWAVE APPLICATION ENGINEER - FIELD SALES (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CANovember 29, 2018
Agilent, now Keysight, has long dominated the high frequency electronics test and measurement industry in the USA and worldwide. Electronic Test & Measurement instrumentation was the initial focus of the corporation and HP computers were originally developed explicitly to control their instruments in order to sequence through measurement steps and retrieve and analyze test data. These computers were designed specifically for this purpose along with their custom CPUs and proprietary operating system HP BASIC, which was also the programming language. Their printer business, similarly, was created to provide printed output capabilities to support reporting and graphing of test results - this started with pen plotter machines and ultimately produced laser-jet and finally ink-jet technologies. All the computing and printing technologies were byproducts of the need to facilitate automated test and measurement systems.

Many years later they had provided the instruments and test automation capabilities that the United States and most of the world relied upon for R&D and manufacturing for all academic, commercial, government, and military applications. They additionally were independent developers of new technology across a wide realm, including the high power colored LEDs that now are ubiquitous components of street signs and traffic lights, many advances in integrated circuit technologies and capabilities, printer technologies including laser-jet and ink-jet technologies, and have developed and dominated a vast host of chemical analysis, genetic analysis, medical and blood
  more... analysis technologies and products upon which our world relies and is propelled forward by. HP was a massive, iconic powerhouse in terms of technology - the technology that drove and changed American and world cultures, lifestyles, health, communications, scientific and medical capabilities, and progress.

HP broke up in 1999 spawning a home computer company that took their name and leaving a high technology company that included all the other centers for high frequency electronic test and measurement, medical instrumentation, genetic research technologies, chemical analysis technologies and instruments, integrated circuit and chip technologies and products, etcetera. These organizations were hosted under the new corporation Agilent Technologies.

The formation of Agilent Technologies was quickly followed by the DOT-COM market crash that devastated many of their customers and choking their cash flow. This resulted in many years of 5 to 15% "temporary" wage reductions, zero bonuses, and no pay increases, as well as wave after wave of staged layoffs. Enabling resources such as administrative services and travel were obliterated. The debilitating reductions in both technical personnel and the enabling resources were independent of the expectations for the organizations to operate at equal or higher levels of productivity. Thus, those who were "Lucky" enough to keep their jobs did so at reduced salaries, no pay raises or career advancement, and no sympathy from executive management. The corporation was entirely beholden to Wall Street and cash flow expectations and it was a miserable place to work. The HP corporate culture was extinct, employee commitment to the company was abused until it was extinguished, and one of the greatest examples of corporate success, technical innovation, and workplace culture completely disintegrated.

Agilent Technologies is now Keysight Technologies. No legacy of the great Titan Hewlett Packard remains in the spirit or culture of the company. There is no ghost in the machine. They continue to operate under financially Spartan conditions relying on very long uncompensated work hours for salaried exempt employees. They continue to develop and market outstanding instruments but no longer enjoy an uncontested dominance of the market as they have lost market share to aggressive, high performance competitors such as Rohde & Schwarz. They are often playing catch-up in terms of new product introductions, high performance leadership, and price-performance optimized offerings, but there is absolutely no question that they remain a fiercely competitive, highly competent Titan of the test and measurement world and will remain so at least into the distant future. Their overall competitive capability has been hampered by their failure to secure market dominance in the cellular handset test market, which went to Rohde & Schwarz during the LTE technology and manufacturing cycle. It is only a guess that this amounted to at least a billion dollars in revenue, if not far more, over the last 10 years.
Company
Global PLM/ERP Supply Chain Specialist (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAOctober 21, 2018
Company too large and it affected the ability to work outside the box. With that said I was not challenged enough. Not a lot of room for new ideas and process improvement.
The best place I have ever worked
Assembly and Test Quality Control Agent (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEOctober 6, 2018
Awesome friendly environment. Fun job with expectations but not crazy high pressure. I wish i still worked there. They let you have freedom to do your job without hovering around, they trusted you and were very nice and fair people to work for.
Pros
everything
Management was Biased
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAOctober 6, 2018
Once me regular manager retired,I reported to a middle manager that constantly micro managed me. Was difficult situation to be in, this manager didn't respect my judement.
Engaging and challenging place to work
Clinical Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Carpinteria, CAOctober 3, 2018
Working at Agilent is great. I've learned a tremendous amount and have developed professionally just as much. Employees are given a lot of freedoms and the management is great.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Not the best healthcare
Agilent is the same company as Dako
Manager Histotechnologist (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 3, 2018
Dako was bought out by Agilent and has the same core values as Dako. Agilent is a very structured company. They believe in family first. I love that I got to travel to many new and exciting places and meet many new and exciting people. I was able to view other labs and their operations.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Travel and family
Overall good place
First Contact Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COSeptember 19, 2018
Management was easy to work for and each team specialized in their own areas. This created a lot of hand off however typically most were experts in their ares.
customer service
Special Project Representative (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DESeptember 13, 2018
I started this position in 2006 as a pilot program through a temp agency. After 3 months I was hired through a contractor as full time employee. This position was shared with 4 other employees. We divided the territories and called each customer to follow up on the service the tech did on their instruments. I formed a good relationship with each of the customers. After 7 years of service it was hard to leave. I had opportunity to go to other departments before the lay off. But I liked this positions. I
Pros
I helped launch this program
Cons
Being laid off
Fun workplace
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Austin County, TXSeptember 6, 2018
I have been working at Agilent Technologies as customer coordinator for Canada on the contract basis. Great corporate culture and it was a good experience.
Fun and friendly work place.
SCHEDULING COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DESeptember 4, 2018
Prominent team work enviroment. Good work space. Access to the GYM. A Christmas bonus and a mid year bonus. In house cafe and lunch room with a cafeteria.
Best company to work for
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAAugust 30, 2018
Agilent offers academic reimbursement along with continuous training, they are always coaching and mentoring employees in a religious manner, it is part of their culture.
Pros
stock options, education, etc.
Cons
we were owned by them just a short period of time
Lots of empty words and promises
Customer Service Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carpinteria, CAAugust 16, 2018
Agilent prides itself on being "the best place to work" but doesn't actually value employees as humans, but rather as figures on a ledger. They were awfully cheap for being a billion-dollar company
Family atmosphere.
Production Planner/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Lexington, MAAugust 8, 2018
Busy. The only issue I had was when they decided to close our US production facility and move over seas, they made employees train the people taking our jobs.
Pros
Loved my job for 30 years
Cons
Closing the facility
Fun projects
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 2, 2018
Agilent doesn't pay the best, but when you are working on products and projects you love, that is worth a lot. I would work for them again, if a good opportunity occoured
Agilent Technologies
Molecular Spectroscopy Product Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, NCAugust 2, 2018
Typical Day at work: Sales Prospecting, Sales calls, Customer quotes. Traveling every week. Flying and driving to remote locations.
Learning new technologies from customers.
Pros
Company Car
Cons
Extensive Travel
fun workplace
Was correct
Nice people on site
Bill to ship to
Address correct
Part number a customer needed is correct
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Short lunches
Agilent Technologies was a good job if you want to work behind a desk and answer phones and respond to emails.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COJuly 10, 2018
I worked on the phones as a CSR where I handling orders, technical support, and answering customer complaints. After seven years I transferred to the email team doing the same thing. My coworkers and managers were great to work with, but the unreliable pay raises that never caught up to the cost of living didn't help.
Pros
coworkers and benefits
Cons
pay and no job security
Enjoyed the software tasks, and the excellent benifits
Software Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJuly 9, 2018
Flexible work hours
Worked in many different areas, and gained experience testing and developing software in C++ and C#.
Excellent management.
Faced paced, but we met the project schedules on time
Decent place to work
Environmental Test Engineer (Advanced) (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJuly 3, 2018
There are a plethora of really intelligent people with lots of experience who are willing to help new people grow. If you are established in the bay area Agilent is a fun place to work with cool challenges. One of the few companies I know of as an ME you can work on an entire instrument. If you are not established in the bay area Agilent won't pay like a premium company - it will be hard to take your pay and turn it into a lifestyle in the south bay.
Excellent company, would work there again if I could.
Firmware/Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COJuly 1, 2018
Excellent management.
Unlimited resources.
Excellent benefits.
Encouraged to innovate.
Patents awarded.
A company for engineers, managed by engineers.
Pros
Everything, best company I've worked for.
Cons
9/11 triggered the slow decay of the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Agilent. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight