Ahtna, Incorporated Employee Reviews

Excellent Work Environment
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 3, 2018
Ahtna has developed an amazing culture that one can look forward to being a part of. As a manager with this company, you can count on the organization giving you the tools and support necessary to run a successful operation.
Benefits
Cons
N/a
I would not recommend this employer to anyone with advanced skills
Corporate (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 28, 2018
This company might be okay for entry level experience, but talented, experienced employees will be underpaid, under-valued and management will throw you under the bus to cover up their poor management skills. Quantity over quality, 100%.
Pros
Government benefits, some great co-workers
Cons
Could be a great place to work.
Officer (Former Employee) –  Anniston, ALSeptember 10, 2018
Could be a great place to work. More oversight from corporate leadership in site leadership needs to be addressed. A swamp in desperate need of draining.
Pros
Great pay, excellent co-workers.
Cons
Site leadership, work/life balance
Great place to be
On-call Clerk (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 17, 2019
I've always wanted to work with Ahtna. Its my native corporation. To be of service to my own people. They offer some great services for education, training, and employment to name a few.
Pros
Great opportunities
Cons
picky
Ok to place to work
Records Maintenance Technician II (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOAugust 24, 2018
This was an ok place to work and served it's purpose for what I needed at the time. I enjoyed working there, just didn't like the uncertainty of the future due to it being a contract job. Kind of sucked at the end because the new contract required them to lay people off and they decided to go with the newest hires instead of the best workers.
Profit oriented - not employee quality
HSE Manager (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 7, 2018
Learned new processes and implemented others. Management is not engaged with the employees and safety culture. I enjoyed traveling to project sites and working with some of the employees.
Pros
Friendly employees
Cons
Management is lacking
fulfilling and challenging
Machinery Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Beaufort, SCMay 3, 2018
It is a good place to work for self starter.The company and base have a high safety culture. . It could be fast paced and hectic at time with being the only person responsible for the repair of 3 critical systems that could all have problems at the same time, some service tickets only have one hour response time. the 3 systems were fuels distribution, emergency generators, and aircraft recovery.I found that military personnel are great to work with and for.
Pros
great to be able to work for the men and women that serve our country
Cons
on call 24/7 for 12 years
it was a good place to work at
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  El Centro, CASeptember 26, 2018
loved working there is very sad that the detention center closed great coworkers it was a one of my favorite jobs had great opportunity to move to better positions.
Management will run it into the ground
Administrator (Former Employee) –  AnchMay 15, 2018
In Alaska there's a saying in the trades that once you work for a Native Corporation no other place wants to hire you because you've learned to play politics and forget how to work.

It's not true of all "Na-Co's" but it certainly is of AES. The office spends most of their year doing alot of nothing, and then loose their minds when it turns out job bids need to be turned in. They used to have good office parties and support for their employees, now it's all talk. Most of the work is done by underpaid assistants or unpaid interns and there are consistently maybe three full time employees who get things done. (Spoiler alert, it's not the project managers). Everyone is so scared of being laid off they brown nose upper management because they can't do their jobs at all and know that if they lose the ones they have they'll be flipping burgers.

It might be a good place to go to sem-iretire if you want to just show up and get paid and love playing Game of Thrones just to survive their weird politics. Otherwise skip it, there's little to no growth, the company barely stays afloat year to year and is buoyed by federal contracts that are required to sub native companies. In the real world this place would have gone belly up in a year.

Do not recommend working here. If you do it's all just to learn, you'll probably only last a couple of years anyway.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, retention rate is poor, interoffice politics
Energetic and fast paced.
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Los Fresnos, TXSeptember 13, 2017
Ahtna is a great place to work for. It provides competitive salaries and excellent benefits. It is a great place to work your first job or to make it a career.
Pros
Excellent compensation and benefits.
Cons
Operations are 24/7 and it is shift work.
Location/ MCAS What I learned
FACILTIES MAINTENANCE CONTRACTOR (Former Employee) –  MCAS Beaufort, SCMay 23, 2018
Great Location/ poor management the most enjoyable was my co-workers. Because of their culture the company didn't really focus on their employees at all
Ahtna Facility Services, Inc. was the best company I have worked for in my entire carrer.
Custodial Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 18, 2017
Ahtna Facility Services, Inc. was always helpful and supportive of its employees and always took the clients concerns seriously. Upper management gave employee incentive lunches and Holiday considerations. Upper management was always available to all employees and insured at all benefits and policies were adhered to equally and fairly.
Pros
Uppermanagement always showed appreciation to all employees
Cons
N/a
Fun place to work
HVAC MECHANIC (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AK 99503November 14, 2017
Company is fine to work for. Our job is clear. Co workers are great. One nice perk would be to allow us to keep our health and welfare pay that we earn hourly, rather than making us put it into a 401k.
SCA contract for a Government complex
General maintenance shift foreman (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 28, 2018
Ahtna is a poor to good company that is top heavy with management that only looks put there own personal needs first and place the blame for there short comings on the working staff. You are compensated very well but that is set by the contract with the government.
Pros
Government pay
Cons
Ahtna bennies and work environment
Great place to work considering applying again,
Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 25, 2018
Typical work day was steady. I learned more about working in Microsoft programs. Management was like working with family. Culture was of my native region. The hardest part about the job was working in a small area with not much room to move around. The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendly and caring atmosphere and teamwork with my co-workers. They were all awesome.
Pros
Great pay, free food for some meetings.
Cons
Small closed work space for 2 employees.
A good place to work.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 8, 2018
I enjoyed working at Ahtna. I learned a lot from my co-workers. It was a very good environment to work in. I would recommend working there to anyone who likes to work in an office environment.
Good place to work.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Glennallen, AKJuly 8, 2018
I thouroughly enjoyed working for Ahtna Construction. But, I was always traveling around Alaska for the work. But the pay made it all worth it. It's not bad.
great co-workers
Lieutenant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 18, 2018
You will see your co-workers as family. The company did their best to keep the workers safe and well trained. Pay was great. Unfortunately, the company lost its bid and another company came in.
It was nice to have a "Rover Position. It was a steady but good day, having weekends off. People really liked my work and really liked me too.
Custodial Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AlaskaJune 15, 2015
I had very nice coworkers to work with,but not that good for advancements and opportunities.
My boss was a very hard worker and understanding.
I learned to do my work in a timely and efficient way.
Pros
Very nice people to work with.
Cons
Short lunch breaks and salary.
Good Place to Work.
Records Mangement Technician (Former Employee) –  PLAINS,PA.May 10, 2012
A typical day was retrieving files from storage
in preparation to be mailed out, learned different skills for processing mail, learned different things on the computer that I didn't know. Liked working with my coworkers.
The hardest part of the job was getting files out of really overstuffed boxes.
the most enjoyable part was just knowing I had this job.
Pros
close to home, hours were great
Cons
wish there was better healthcare benifits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ahtna, Incorporated. Our community is ready to answer.