Ahtna, Incorporated Employee Reviews

it was a good place to work at
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  El Centro, CASeptember 26, 2018
loved working there is very sad that the detention center closed great coworkers it was a one of my favorite jobs had great opportunity to move to better positions.
Could be a great place to work.
Officer (Former Employee) –  Anniston, ALSeptember 10, 2018
Could be a great place to work. More oversight from corporate leadership in site leadership needs to be addressed. A swamp in desperate need of draining.
Pros
Great pay, excellent co-workers.
Cons
Site leadership, work/life balance
Ok to place to work
Records Maintenance Technician II (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOAugust 24, 2018
This was an ok place to work and served it's purpose for what I needed at the time. I enjoyed working there, just didn't like the uncertainty of the future due to it being a contract job. Kind of sucked at the end because the new contract required them to lay people off and they decided to go with the newest hires instead of the best workers.
Good place to work.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Glennallen, AKJuly 8, 2018
I thouroughly enjoyed working for Ahtna Construction. But, I was always traveling around Alaska for the work. But the pay made it all worth it. It's not bad.
A good place to work.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 8, 2018
I enjoyed working at Ahtna. I learned a lot from my co-workers. It was a very good environment to work in. I would recommend working there to anyone who likes to work in an office environment.
I would not recommend this employer to anyone with advanced skills
Corporate (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 28, 2018
This company might be okay for entry level experience, but talented, experienced employees will be underpaid, under-valued and management will throw you under the bus to cover up their poor management skills. Quantity over quality, 100%.
Pros
Government benefits, some great co-workers
great co-workers
Lieutenant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 18, 2018
You will see your co-workers as family. The company did their best to keep the workers safe and well trained. Pay was great. Unfortunately, the company lost its bid and another company came in.
Profit oriented - not employee quality
HSE Manager (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 7, 2018
Learned new processes and implemented others. Management is not engaged with the employees and safety culture. I enjoyed traveling to project sites and working with some of the employees.
Pros
Friendly employees
Cons
Management is lacking
Location/ MCAS What I learned
FACILTIES MAINTENANCE CONTRACTOR (Former Employee) –  MCAS Beaufort, SCMay 23, 2018
Great Location/ poor management the most enjoyable was my co-workers. Because of their culture the company didn't really focus on their employees at all
Management will run it into the ground
Administrator (Former Employee) –  AnchMay 15, 2018
In Alaska there's a saying in the trades that once you work for a Native Corporation no other place wants to hire you because you've learned to play politics and forget how to work.

It's not true of all "Na-Co's" but it certainly is of AES. The office spends most of their year doing alot of nothing, and then loose their minds when it turns out job bids need to be turned in. They used to have good office parties and support for their employees, now it's all talk. Most of the work is done by underpaid assistants or unpaid interns and there are consistently maybe three full time employees who get things done. (Spoiler alert, it's not the project managers). Everyone is so scared of being laid off they brown nose upper management because they can't do their jobs at all and know that if they lose the ones they have they'll be flipping burgers.

It might be a good place to go to sem-iretire if you want to just show up and get paid and love playing Game of Thrones just to survive their weird politics. Otherwise skip it, there's little to no growth, the company barely stays afloat year to year and is buoyed by federal contracts that are required to sub native companies. In the real world this place would have gone belly up in a year.

Do not recommend working here. If you do it's all just to learn, you'll probably only last a couple of years anyway.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, retention rate is poor, interoffice politics
Interesting
Laborer Pump Station (Former Employee) –  Glennallen, AKMay 9, 2018
It was hard work at times mixed with a lot of new and interesting things to learn. a lot of brush cutting and snow removal. Overall it was a good job working with good people.
fulfilling and challenging
Machinery Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Beaufort, SCMay 3, 2018
It is a good place to work for self starter.The company and base have a high safety culture. . It could be fast paced and hectic at time with being the only person responsible for the repair of 3 critical systems that could all have problems at the same time, some service tickets only have one hour response time. the 3 systems were fuels distribution, emergency generators, and aircraft recovery.I found that military personnel are great to work with and for.
Pros
great to be able to work for the men and women that serve our country
Cons
on call 24/7 for 12 years
SCA contract for a Government complex
General maintenance shift foreman (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 28, 2018
Ahtna is a poor to good company that is top heavy with management that only looks put there own personal needs first and place the blame for there short comings on the working staff. You are compensated very well but that is set by the contract with the government.
Pros
Government pay
Cons
Ahtna bennies and work environment
Mail Room Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOMarch 29, 2018
Busy fast paced job handling incoming files making sure work was sent to correct areas for processing.
Must maintain high level of accuracy while ensuring quotas are met.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
can be hard on your body
Great place to work considering applying again,
Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 25, 2018
Typical work day was steady. I learned more about working in Microsoft programs. Management was like working with family. Culture was of my native region. The hardest part about the job was working in a small area with not much room to move around. The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendly and caring atmosphere and teamwork with my co-workers. They were all awesome.
Pros
Great pay, free food for some meetings.
Cons
Small closed work space for 2 employees.
Fun place to work
HVAC MECHANIC (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AK 99503November 14, 2017
Company is fine to work for. Our job is clear. Co workers are great. One nice perk would be to allow us to keep our health and welfare pay that we earn hourly, rather than making us put it into a 401k.
Nightmare for talented people.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 2, 2017
This company advances its native shareholders ahead of all others without any consideration to their capabilities, experience, or skills. This is permitted because they are an Alaskan Native Corporation but it penalizes the rest of their shareholders because it limits the overall performance of the corporation directly affecting dividends to those shareholders.

If you're not a shareholder, run don't walk away from this company.
Cons
Under current of gossip, outright lying, and backstabbing.
Perfect for people with Sun allergies
Records Technician (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOOctober 9, 2017
Great hours and role you can leave at work. Not a place to work if you are looking to get promoted. Extremely hard to get hired and layoffs are quick and definite. Keep your distance.
Stressful
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Fresnos, TXOctober 9, 2017
This company is very stressful, I would not recommend this company for anyone looking for an administrative or an operations job for this company. Company did not provide standard operating procedures for the duties I was responsible for.
great
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Port Isabel, TXSeptember 29, 2017
this was an excellent place to work I just wish I had got promoted to the original job that I had applied for instead of being placed in the kitchen and lied to

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ahtna, Incorporated. Our community is ready to answer.