Aiken Standard Employee Reviews

Poor management, low pay for most
News (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCMarch 13, 2018
Great place to work until new publisher took over in 2016. New publisher does whatever Charleston corporate office says. Very demeaning. Many quit or were laid off. Few jobs re-filled meaning more work dumped on everyone else. Parent paper Post and Courier in Charleston hires left and right. Aiken paper and other papers exist to support P&C. No pay raises at all. Target employees will soon make more. Low morale and very hostile work environment. Raising concerns to corporate only causes retaliation.
Pros
Great newsroom staff, past publishers
Cons
Awful publisher, VPs; owners don’t care
Revolving Door Too Many Chiefs
Full time Employee (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCOctober 30, 2017
Don't work here. There are too many people who are top heavy and don't want to do the grunt work. They don't offer any kind of work/life balance and its just an unbearable, dirty place to work.
Just quick
Inserter (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCJuly 14, 2017
Just a typical day at work.
It's easy money.
It gets stressful.
Sometimes we don't get off at a certain time.
The employees are all nice.
I never had a problem with anyone.
Stressful work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCMay 4, 2017
I was hired at this company to be an inserter. I did that for a while it was very stressful to deal with I managed to work my way up to be a machine operator. It then became worse. The environment is very negative and the supervisors were of no help in anyway
Low pay, long days
Inserter (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCApril 7, 2017
This is a minimum wage job. There is no possibility of a raise or moving up in the company. You are given a time to clock in, but you can't leave until the job is finished, whether it takes 5 or 25 hours. There are no scheduled breaks or lunches during your shift. The shift supervisors try to make sure their employees are not overworked, but that is hard to do.
Pros
good shift supervisors
Cons
low pay, no breaks
fast-paced, friendly environment with creative friendly people
Internship (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCFebruary 21, 2017
I checked advertisement for the newspaper and made special sections for the newspaper like a section for father's day or graduation. I learned about working with a team and that a workplace is not all work. It can be fun, but there is a balance between fun and work. Also co-workers can be you trusted allies.
A day job while working with interesting people.
Inserter (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCJanuary 17, 2017
I start my day by asking the shift leader what area I am working at for today. After asking and being told where I'm at, I set up certain things up; for example, probably putting more sales paper at the station or setting up a table for a person who would insert papers manually. I wait for the everyone who is scheduled to work to get at a station requested. Then, we start. The people I work with are down to earth people that work hard at their job. The management is eclectic. Different types of personalities as well as my coworkers. I've learned to really try to be the best at everything I do to manually inserting papers to sweeping the floor.
nice place to work with limited experience
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  aiken, scSeptember 24, 2015
it is demanding. 7 days a week. pay is decent. It is a good place to work if you have limited job experience not a long term job.
A hetic day getting the paper out!
Inserter / Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCJanuary 17, 2015
A typical day at work very hetic, you deal with alot of problems like the machine breaking down, employees not showing up for work and your boss expecting you to perform miracles with no help from him. Management doesn't know how to do his job and expects you to do his and yours. The hardest part is motivating my employees to stay untill the job is done even though everyone is under paid, over worked and stressed. There is not an enjoyable part of this job i can think of.
Good Experience for Young -- But a Meat Grinder
Sales (Current Employee) –  aiken SCSeptember 7, 2014
Make us Money! that should be the mantra here. Incredibly long hours, unrealistic expectations (sales makes $18-19K base with $30K+monthly sales goals -- almost impossible to meet). very long hours. 10 days Vacation starts the year AFTER you have completed 12 months employment, so more like 2 years. Holidays are busiest, so don't even ask off for those times.

Non sales folks do not get raises -- many have been there for over 10 years w/o a pay increase at all.

Management undertrained and reactionary. Sales people commonly undercut team members to make a sale. If you are young, right out of college, and cannot fine ANYthing else to do, give it a whirl. otherwise, keep looking
Pros
They like to EAT!
Cons
long hours, very poor pay, no advancement, no raises, poor vacation.
Fast paced.
Account Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCMarch 26, 2014
Flexible, family friendly. Most enjoyable part of the job was my clients!
workforce
Lead Pressman (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCJune 26, 2013
Good place to work learned to be a team leader and team player. Management was really good working with co-workers was fun. Hardest part of job meeting strict deadlines. Best part of job was the printing part.
Pros
Learning experinces
Cons
Hard to have family life
Aiken Standard
Interactive Business Development (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCDecember 13, 2012
Its an ok company, mostly cold calling during the day to set up appointments in order to propose marketing campaigns.