Aimco Employee Reviews

Good incentive but hard work.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Oakbrook Terrace, ILApril 13, 2019
Working at AIMCO can be both rewarding and energy draining at the same time. I learned several new repair techniques and was happy to attend related Union classes. I sometimes feel that too much pressure is put on the maintenance team to meet certain quota. I also sometimes feel upper management does not understand how degrading and difficult it can be to remove dog waste and remove tons of snow on cold days, also being on call 24 hours. I do sometimes enjoy the incentives, such as free meals, gift cards and other rewards.
Pros
Free Meals, Perks, Awards, Bonuses
Cons
On Call Work, Snow Removal, Pressure to meet quotas, Low pay
Miss Aimco!
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 8, 2019
Aimco left the Dallas Ft Worth area in 2007. I worked with the company for 19 years, I missed them very much.
The company offered many choices for health care, 401K matching, long term, short term disability options. They has a mission statement that was followed by all.
If you have a conscience stay away.
Resident Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, INMarch 23, 2019
They describe themselves as a sales company that happens to be in property management. They care about manipulating customer service satisfaction numbers but don't really care about residents overall.

The bottom line is they're a poorly managed REIT. It's all about money. They will nickel and dime residents on everything. They hire the cheapest vendors they can get and mostly treat them badly.

If you have a conscience at all, this may not be a good fit.
Pros
Location and property
Cons
Company culture and management from top on down
Terrible management
Property Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 22, 2019
Management bases all decisions on quarterly earnings reports for stocks rather than actual property needs. Basic maintenance needs go unfulfilled while management turns over several times per year, with new managers spending thousands on unnecessary pet projects and micromanagement of expenses.
Pros
Decent pay, free apartment on site
Cons
Management is too short sighted to properly assess and meet property needs
Co with great goals but lack of support to make it a reality
Maintenance Supervisor IV (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 19, 2019
Overall a good company to work with.
Ive learned a great deal about bms systems and new hvac technology

Differences of opinion how to promote and develop a team.

Not much support for internal systems training

Great opportunity to make a difference on residents lives everyday
Pros
Good commute
Cons
Lack of support from it and training on internal systems
Excellent place to work
Maintenance tech ll (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIMarch 12, 2019
I loved working for this company and working with other fellow employees we all would go to lunch or hangout on occasion and the management staff was wonderful treated there employees like human beings. If they hadn’t sold all there properties I would still be employed at a sister property. Loved the people I worked with
Service Manager II (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 8, 2019
Would have loved to have stayed with the company but there was a restructuring that made it impossible to re-apply and all work locations were over 1 hr away from home.
Cons
Traffic to work
Just don't expect much
Leasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 11, 2019
Full time employee for 5+ years no longer with the company. In that time I watched the culture go from being a positive environment for both tenants and staff to being completely profit driven. Tenants are charged huge arbitrary fees at move out, late fees that rapidly accumulate and utility bills that are astronomical for the square footage of apartments. Management then leaves on site staff to deal with rightfully angry residents. With no recourse or support. Was actually chastised for allowing a tenant to speak with the manager about concerns. At the same time they set sales at an unrealistic number. If you lease 8 units this week you better be prepared to lease 10 next week. At the same time they cut hours to 32-34 hours per week from 40 so they do not have to provide you with benefits. If you go over 40 and receive overtime you will be written up for it. Google Aimco and overtime lawsuit before accepting a position with this company. If you are a true professional you will pass quickly. Only regret it took me so long to leave, you just want to believe things will get better...like a bad relationship.
Pros
You work all weekend so you get two days off during the week. Could be a pro
Cons
Shortened work week 32-34 hours-still expect 40 hours worth of work. Profits over people mentality.
Fast Pace work environment Takes Care of Residents first.
Leasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 3, 2018
Very Fast paced office worked at a large property over 700 units. Sales floor was busy and the leasing agents took turns with the walk ins. however we hustled to get as many tours a day to see who could get the most leases each week. Commissions were great and co-workers all got along wonderfully. It was a great company to work for and made you feel they cared. Which in return showed in how they took care of the property and the residents. We had very high profile residents and they felt safe there as well.
Productive and independance
Maintenance Technocian (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 28, 2018
I typically Started at 8 am and met with my coworkers to plan the daily tasks. I lived and worked onsite. I had many job responsibilities including installation of ceiling fans and garbage disposals.
aimco
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDNovember 9, 2018
did not like working for aimco. everyone is just a number, very cold and impersonal management team. upper management does not want managers who fratenize with the entire staff
Workplace
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 28, 2018
You are extremely over worked with no help or even the talk of help. All about the profit. Properties are not staffed to be successful. Company offers apartment discount for employees.
Company has many good ideas and intent but size of company limits identical training and processes.
Accounting Process Analyst I (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCAugust 22, 2018
Enjoyed working for Aimco Apartment Homes but at times support across the company was lacking and steps toward the same goal were missing. Adequate training across the board and an understanding of individual contributions to everyday tasks would make huge strides in meeting their mission.
Pros
Paid volunteer time and donations to charitable organizations.
Cons
Lack of continuous, adequate, and identical training.
Enjoyed working at AIMCO
Community Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 22, 2018
I own my knowledge of HUD to AIMCO. Working for AIMCO for 26 years was never a dull moment. I loved the experience and helping residents that lived at the properties that I managed.
Pros
freedom
Cons
selling all the affordable properties
fun place to work
Multi-Site Community Manager II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 21, 2018
workplace culture and most enjoyable part of the job is your coworker and team player. communication and get the work done. supervisor is help to builder your leadership and grow in the company
Pros
team player
Cons
over work
"Acting" Property Manager
Leasing Agent/ Acting Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 17, 2018
Im not sure if my gripe is with AIMCO as company or more so with the direct management I had the unfortune of working under. I was transferred to at least 3 different properties at random with little notice and I had to fight for compensation for the additional mileage I accrued. My regional manager was very confrontational (most of time prematurely) highly emotional which added constant unnecessary stress on staff, and extremely passive aggressive. At the time of my departure, it was obvious that AIMCo was selling several of their properties to other management companies for whatever reason, and thus, we were all on notice to either plan on relocating if that option was available or look for another job all together. My regional manager had roughly 5 properties in her direct region, and she lost all but 1. She was an absolute nightmare from that point on.
Pros
discounts on rental property
Cons
poor management
proiductivity
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDAugust 1, 2018
work on managing property of building and made sure security was at point around the building and it vicinity also made calls for tow truck to vacate the loading duck and entrance of building sweep alley leading to lobby
Pros
great location
Cons
N/a
Work environment
Make Ready Manager (Former Employee) –  Plainsboro, NJJuly 30, 2018
High season is extremely stressful and demanding.
Not enough help to accomplish weekly goals.
Always short of inventory no matter how much was ordered.
Large maintenance staff but always behind schedule.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
Very low support whenever unsure of procedure.
Aimco is a typical corporate slaveshop
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 22, 2018
Aimco is very much a large company only interested in pleasing their shareholders. They are not employee focused and burn out their employees and don't care about them
perfecto
Serv, Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 9, 2018
Gran compania , tenia mucho trabajo pero si pagaban super bien,

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aimco. Our community is ready to answer.