Air Evac Lifeteam Employee Reviews

Empoyee Safety is a major concern for this company
Flight Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOJune 5, 2019
Everyone takes their job very seriously but at the same time they do offer company luncheons twice a year and then the 2nd weekend of September they host a weekend celebration for employee and their families for a golf tournament, winery event, family picnic and an award ceremony. Work ethic is very relaxed and somewhat flexible. I would stay but moving out of state.
Pros
monthly new hires of 20-30 employees so you can count free lunch 2 weeks out of the month
Cons
they do have alot of employee turnover because of pay
Family oriented workplace
Field Resource Supervisor (Current Employee) –  O' Fallon, MOMay 13, 2019
Air Evac is a large company that still operates as a family-owned business. Management cares about employees and treats staff with support and appreciation.
The top looks the other way as long as numbers stay high at bases
Helicopter Pilot (Former Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOMay 10, 2019
Med Crews run the bases. If a pilot is disliked they are quickly voted off the island or made to feel like such an outsider that they have no choice but to transfer to a new base.

The company preaches safety safety safety, but turns a blind eye until there is an actual accident. There are four pilots that are assigned full time to each base. Currently many bases are understaffed - some only having one to two full time pilots at each base. Each pilot has the option to work over at any base, they are paid mileage, drive time as well as paid a daily per diem (which is barely enough to cover a lunch). However the company refuses to pay per diem, drive time or mileage if a pilot works over at their own home base. But will gladly pay another pilot to drive 7 hours to come in from another state, plus per diem and mileage. Pilots that have never worked at that base! How safe is that? It's not..

The company trips over wasted dollars as they try to nickel and dime their employees.

Pilots are sometimes questioned as to why they declined a flight.

During initial training we were told of the "family" atmosphere at the bases. From my experience I have yet to witness this. Rather than helping and lifting each other up, crews are quick to judge and pull each other down.

There are med crews that were hired because of their close connections to family or community ties, not because of their credentials.

If you mess up you move up. If you are military trained you can most definitely do no wrong. As a matter of fact most of the time you get promoted. In
  more... my opinion the pay is low because of the retired military pilots. Many of them have retired and this is their second "fun" money. They have held this industry $$ hostage for years.

Recently there was a 10% raise for the pilots. But it doesn't compensate for the years of low pay and high risk flying.
Pros
one week on and one week off schedule.
Cons
Health care, 401k
Best job ever
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Laredo, TXApril 19, 2019
Air evac helped me in order to advance my career as a nurse practitioner. They provide excellent employee benefits and the environment is great. The workload is low and employees develop independence as health providers.
Great job, but the company has a image issue.
Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOApril 11, 2019
The company has grown from a small 20 person company to being part of a global air medical company in the last decade. However, it is struggling against moving into this role. There are many policies that are still based on the "old" ways because that is how they have always done it. There are many who have been with the company from the start who push against change. This makes it feel like it isn't an open environment for anyone new who comes in. They have to learn to move forward in order to attract new people.
#bestjobever
Flight Nurse (Current Employee) –  Somewhere, KyMarch 15, 2019
Very thorough training, from safety (always) to more clinical skills. Great continuity to competencies which keeps you clinically sharp. AEL seems to care about the small town communities and its employees. The just culture gives employees the chance to grow and learn. My only negative comment would be the pay, compared to bedside nursing I took a $3.00/hr paycut.
Which hurt but I always wanted to do this and 1 day of OT quickly surpasses what I was making bedside.
Pros
Management, education, safety!!!!!, the experiances
Cons
Pay
Good first stepping stone
Base Pilot (Current Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOMarch 3, 2019
As with all of these companies, the management is fairly inept. Promotion is usually based on control, never aptitude. A good first industry step for the new person, or a final step for the soon to retire. The maintenance department definitely needs some work on the management side, and the same can be said for flight operations. Pay is increasing due to pilot shortages, however we watch the revolving door of medics because the company refuses to compensate them better than working on the ground. The same can be said for mechanics. Quite a bit of turnover due to better pay, better equipment, better training elsewhere.
Pros
expenses are well compensated, company stability
Cons
middle management frustrating, equipment needs modernizing.
Great Company
Flight Paramedic Supervisor/ Base manager (Current Employee) –  Elk City OklahomaJanuary 22, 2019
Great Company, Worked here for 17 yrs. Looking to work PT and Fly in that role. Looking for something that will work with my current Role that I have With AEL
Good company with room to improve
Base Pilot (Current Employee) –  Navarre, FLJanuary 5, 2019
First this can't be truly "anonymous" if I give my location as a pilot, so my location is not correct. I can only speak for aviation related topics.The 7 shifts on / 7 shifts off schedule is nice, but 12 hrs per shift can get a bit mundane if its not a busy week. It's a perfect schedule for online college if you want to do that and I basically get a vacation every other week. You essentially work half a year. It is definitely not a hard laboring type position and not micromanaged for me.

Personal attitude goes a long way in this company. If you hire in, leave your personal, "I'm the greatest" ego at the door. Your experiences are recognized, but your paid to fly the way THEY want. There are a few instructors at headquarters that have practically lived in a helicopter their entire life, recognize that. This is my first 135 job and I've done well by having a good attitude. When working with the base staff, you have to be flexible with personalities, be humble, open minded, and understand your not perfect.

Over the last four or so years, there have been several positive changes such as upgrades to new aircraft, aircraft systems, changes in the training/eval syllabus and the training climate. Pay has improved and was much needed! The across the board pilot pay has increased upwards of 10% or more over the past year, and annual raises are applied every year. I personally would like to see improvements to the 401 plan as well as other employee positions pay. We all want great medical insurance in America but lets be real, the insurance system has lots of issues.

There
  more... is nothing too hard about the job, but it can be stressful at times because your flying people, not parts. You have to be mindful of the weather and continually evaluate conditions at multiple destinations if things change, AKA "pilot stuff." It becomes less stressful after you learn your AO, hazards and weather patterns, but it's still weather which is always changing. The job is very enjoyable at certain times, but never miserable. Being busy seems to be the best practice. Idle time can be the enemy and lead to laziness/complacency. There is always something that can be improved at a base no matter how small. You just have to get away from the TV and make it happen if that is what you want.

Overall, good company with at strong safety culture. I've not had any major problems/confrontations with any instructors or upper management . Disagreements at the base level will happened, but they are OK if they are talked through in a non threatening and adult manner, which is actually healthy. If the company continues to take of employees in the future, I have no plans to leave.
Pros
Safety, company culture, work schedule, open door environment
Cons
401 match, sick time
Air Evac
Base 110, Flight Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceburg, TNDecember 14, 2018
This position was such a great opportunity, it offered me the ability to grow as a nurse as well as be able to be a part of something bigger than myself. I made so many great friends during the five years I worked for the company. Air Evac Lifeteam has a great safety and educational program and I am so proud to say I was apart of the Air Evac family.
Pros
Great safety and educational program
Cons
N/a
Great place to work. Best if familiar with EMS.
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  O'Fallon, MODecember 3, 2018
Great place to work. Best if familiar with EMS. I was fortunate to have a wonderful Director of Safety to whom I reported.

There were issues with technical type requirements where interacting with IT could be challenging.
Pros
Greate people and pleasant environment
Cons
No such thing as job security regardless of performance.
Dont plan on moving up unless you are friends with your supervisor
Pstient account rep (Former Employee) –  West Plains, MOOctober 24, 2018
Management is terrible at least in the self pay dept in patient accounts. The supervisor hires his friends. The only people that don't get consently get called on the carpet is the ones that kiss up to his face and talk about him behind his back. If you do not want to do that than self pay is not for you. That is the major reason that I am no longer there.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Great company with family atmosphere
Flight Nurse-Paramedic & Base Clinical Lead (Current Employee) –  North Texas, TexasOctober 14, 2018
I’ve been employed with AEL 12+ years. I have witnessed great growth and improvement with safety and clinical education during my tenure. Management has done a great job of supporting their field staff and treating them like family during crisis situations. I will throw this caveat out there: Every base has a different culture and family dynamic. One employees experience can not compare to another employee’s experience from a different base. On the base level each base has it’s own dynamic based on mid-level management (Program Director &/or Base Clinical Lead). Otherwise, it can’t compare to other companies. I have several friends who work for competitors that aren’t treated as well as my experiences with AEL. Safety is AEL’s priority. Shifts schedules vary from base to base, with a standard 84 hour pay period. (12-hr or 24-hr shifts)
Pros
Management, Schedule flexibility, Down time to study, Equipment, Education
Cons
Variation from base-to-base.
People oriented work
Membership Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  West Liberty, KY 41472October 8, 2018
I love working for Air Evac Lifeteam. However, I am looking to change to a career that is not commission based. I have been the membership sales manager for this area for over 3 years and the level of saturation with people who have already signed up with the membership is making it difficult to reach my budget each month.
Pros
Flexibility to schedule appointments and events to fit my needs
Cons
Commission based
Tps
Patient Accounts Rep (Current Employee) –  West Plains, MOSeptember 18, 2018
When I first started working for Air Evac, I was excited about the opportunity to work for a company that helps so many people in some of their most difficult times. I do love all that Air Evac does to help the patients and their families. The flight crews are all top shelf. I just don't like the way the patient accounts are run. Their hiring practices are unethical in that if you aren't related in some way or good friends with them it will be very difficult to get a job or a transfer to a different area within patient accounts. Their is so much nepotism in the decision making processes for hiring and advancement it is absolutely ridiculous. The pay is not even close to the pay that you could get for the same job in most other parts of the country. They need to get with the times and pay the employees up to par with the rest of the country. The bonuses are very minimal unless you are in management. It is really difficult to work day to day and see how much they charge patients and how much they bring in then to get a very small pay check. They are always understaffed with a very high turnover rate. The employees that work the hardest are not appreciated or acknowledged. They just want a bunch of work horses.
Pros
Paid Air Evac Membership
Cons
Nepoitism -
Very Structured and Safe HAA Program
Base Pilot Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 18, 2018
Air Evac is a very structured company. Expectations and policies are spelled out in great detail. Safety is truly paramount. Pilots are expected to remain safe and proficient at all times. The corporate safety culture is solid.
Pros
Safety is Critical and Pay in Improving
Cons
Shortage of pilots (industry wide)
No review
Flight Nurse (Current Employee) –  Jackson, TNAugust 29, 2018
This company has always treated me well. One of the only cons I would give would be there is no raises for an advanced degree. No retainment of good employees.
Good company
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Carrizo Springs, TXAugust 8, 2018
Good safe company to fly with anywhere in the US. They had their problems in the 80's and 90's but they took it on the chin and emerged as one of the premier flight services in the US. Still have fairly low pay however
Best job in healthcare!
Flight RN (Former Employee) –  Greenville, MSAugust 6, 2018
The amount of learning and training cannot be beat. The job is stressful, long, and tiring but so worth it. The fast pace, the unknown, and the crews are awesome. The base leads are there for their own advancement, not the crews. They really get you up to speed, but could care less if you remained an employee. They pay is HORRIBLE for the amount of responsibility and risk you take for being a flyer
Pros
training, flying
Cons
base leads, remote bases, extremely low pay
Proud to have them on your resume.
Manager (Former Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOJuly 23, 2018
A great company to start your career. They care about the mission and training of employees. Most managers stay in contact with their crew, even if they aren't at the base on a regular basis. Corporate can be hard to reach, but are good people.
Pros
Continuing Training
Cons
Employees need a path to greater pay, recognition and responsibility