AK Steel Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work
Maintenance Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Middletown, OHJanuary 14, 2019
Safety program is a joke, upper management will do anything to pin injuries on the employees to avoid workers compensation. Extremely dangerous place to work, they want work done now without stopping production but refuse to shutdown production in order to get work done, and then fire employees for performing work while machines are running despite being told to do so. Poor leadership from the top down; on-call 24/7, fully expected to work 10-11 hour work days as the normal and don't get paid overtime until you hit 12 hours and if you do request it it will be heavily scrutinized, there were days when we were forced to work 23-25 hours straight. Got away from there as fast as I could.
Pros
Cons
Too many too list.
Stressful
PROCESS ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, OHJanuary 4, 2019
The management was not professional. When things go wrong, someone has to be a scapegoat and get fired. They have terrible relationship with union members.
The work environment is dirty, dusty, greasy, hot, cold.
Pros
Cons
Hard to work due to the safety rules.
Truly supports teamwork and takes care of their employees
Maintenance Day Manager (Current Employee) –  Middletown, OHDecember 31, 2018
I truly enjoy the job and the management and would stay there if I didn't need to relocate for family issues. They really push professional development and promotion.
Safety and production driven
Shipping Operator (Former Employee) –  Coshocton, OH 43812December 22, 2018
Zero tolernace for not following safety rules. Strict adherence wearing personnel protective equipment. Fast pace work enviorment. Quality product/customer satisfaction.
enjoyed working with the men at ak
Mill Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYDecember 18, 2018
I ordered RR materials for the track dept. I was the payroll clerk for the dept. Some of the management was dishonest in their dealings. I learned that not everyone is out for the best interest of the company. And there are some honest good working individuals out there that just want to make an honest living.
Pros
excellent insurance pkg.
Cons
poor managment
Bad management/ unhealthy environment
Leaverman/ Torch Operator (Current Employee) –  Butler, PADecember 15, 2018
Bad working environment, bad management and long hours. If you don’t mind working 80 to 112 hours a week, not being able to plan things at home, being forced to work another shift cause someone called off, working in a dangerous and unhealthy environment and constantly harassed by management. If you don’t mind those things then it’s the perfect place for you.
Pros
Good money
Cons
No family life and no time to spend your money.
nothing to say
Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Butler, PADecember 5, 2018
nothing to say at this time about my former employer and the work and safety values the company had toward the employees out side of the management end.
Excellent place to work
Research Engineer (Current Employee) –  Research - MiddletownNovember 28, 2018
The best company I’ve ever worked for! Incredible benefits, challenging work, respectful leadership, smart and collaborative colleagues, beautiful work environment, professionalism, endless growth opportunities, ability to contribute / affect change.
Disappointing place to work
Electrical Maintenance Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Middletown, OHNovember 21, 2018
Ak Steel Middletown is a sad and horrible example of what a modern day company should be. They require quarterly quotas for the salaried employees to reprimand the hourly employees. The culture there is from the stone age, along with the management styles and philosophies. Most of the salaried people hate the hourly employees and vice versa which makes accomplishing anything meaningful impossible. Interdepartmental cooperation is completely non existent. They brag about their safety numbers which are just that, made up numbers. I implore anyone looking at this place to proceed with caution. Ask tons of questions and take plenty of time considering it before making a decision. The pay is good but they think that id's the end all be all of employment, which by the way, will be your life there. No balance.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Everything else
Great pay and benefits and coworkers but awful management.
Car loader (Former Employee) –  Middletown, OHNovember 19, 2018
You get a good amount of money for a grade 1 job and the coworkers are very pleasant to work with but the management is something I do not approve of. They tend to write you up behind your back without telling you and the rules are very strict and some of the managers attitudes can be very unpleasant and it makes the job that much of a pain.
Pros
Pay, Coworkers.
Cons
Managers and Management.
Hard work with good pay and benefits.
Steel Worker (Current Employee) –  Middletown, OHNovember 10, 2018
Working at AK is a great experience and an opportunity that some could never pass up. I had no complaints with the job and the rotating shift that ensued. The biggest complaint was the management. Your supervisors don’t care about what’s going on in your personal life, as long as you show up and get the job done - that’s all that matters to them. Your working conditions don’t matter, again, as long as you’re doing the job and getting product made and ready. The management is the big turn off, and what makes you constantly question if you want to stay here or not. Being promised to move up and make more is a big thing, and when that gets swept under the rug - it’s a serious insult.
Pros
Good salary, good health care
Cons
Short breaks, weather, management
hostile work environment
Strand Operator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 7, 2018
well compensated with both wages and benefits packages. Union shop and for the most part, management's treatments of it's employees was not conducive to a healthy relationship between management and employees.
Pros
good salary and benefit package
Cons
union/management relationship is borderline toxic
very safety oriented
Manager, Maintenance Technology & Services (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYNovember 6, 2018
The safest steel plant that I have ever worked in during my years in the steel industry.
Top management drove the safety committment from the top to the shop floor.
The rewards for performance exceeded 50% of base salary.
Pros
well paid and earned.
Cons
Failure at not achieving expectations can be brutal.
Not worth the money
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Middletown, OHOctober 30, 2018
Being a female manager at AK Steel is full of horribleness. You have constant misogynist male managers talking down to you, you get called a bit*h every time you ask someone to do their job, and you are not backed up by upper management. Also, there is no such thing as work life balance here. NONE. You WILL miss EVERY IMPORTANT THING EVER if you have a child, it's not worth the money, literally. They won't work with you on your schedule.
Pros
Working in MORDOR
Cons
Expensive health care plan
Culture has changed, but still can make a good living here
Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Butler, PAOctober 24, 2018
The culture has changed, but can still make a good living here. Most of the people that work here are great people. Will probably have to work shift work.
Pros
Good People
Cons
Lots of Observations
work not bad, safety was a stick to beat the employees with and nothing else
Bin Laborer Leader (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYOctober 16, 2018
the employees and first level of management are good to work with and for. The upper management lacks a lot to be desired. The safety department simply want to create problems instead of correcting them. I saw safety watch someone perform an unsafe act and they watched them do it. After the act was complete they then came over to them and said what they did wrong and gave them a write up. The write up is understandable but to me a good safety program, they would of stopped the act before it was committed and explained it first.
Just your typical steel mill.
Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIOctober 12, 2018
I enjoyed working with AK Steel. I would have remained with them if they had a base somewhere close to where I reside now. I greatly miss the co-workers and my supervisors but not the cold weather. The mill was very loud, busy and potentially dangerous. It was my job to maintain the safety of each site under maintenance etc. and that all safety paperwork and repair request where handled efficiently. The hardest part of the job was the extreme weather and long hours. The best...other than enjoying the people I worked with was the pay rate.
Pros
Cafe & canteen availble.
Cons
very loud, dirty and extreme on PPE
High Stress, High Reward
Manager (Former Employee) –  West Chester, OHOctober 10, 2018
High stress environment, high responsibility. If you do your job, the rewards are very good. If you do not do your job, this is not the place for you as the weak do not survive.
Terrible place to work
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Middletown, OHOctober 3, 2018
Terrible place to work. Management could care less if you were there or not. You’re just a number to them. They’re very cut throat and would get rid of you in a heart beat. I’m glad I got out when I did
Pros
Pay
Cons
Very stressful atmosphere, very hot atmosphere, very hard work. Must be able to be alert at all times or you can be seriously hurt.
Desulf Operator (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYOctober 2, 2018
You must be able to withstand extreme heat, wear your safety equipment at all times no matter what the temperature is, work overtime without notice. Work holidays if scheduled.
Pros
Great benefits, over time
Cons
Stressfully hard work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AK Steel. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

1.6InHerSight Score

1.7Personal Development

1.4Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight