Akamai Technologies Employee Reviews

Great company, great learning and collaboration culture
Digital Performance Account Executive (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 6, 2019
I thoroughly enjoyed my 1 1/2 years at Akamai.

I felt that their was demand for their products, that they demonstrated that they valued their customers and employees, and they are full of smart people. I was always well treated
Productive and fun work place
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT, ENTERPRISE PRODUCT MANAGEMENT (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 6, 2019
I start the day feeling like I'm constantly trying to catch-up with the 3 hr time difference between CA/MA. I like the daily work, and the company. It's very stable and successful, and yet it still has the exciting start-up feel. I thoroughly enjoy the camaraderie among customers and peers at the yearly customer conference.
Employees are smart and friendly there
TSE (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 23, 2019
People are friendly and knowledgeable to work with. Product managers are willing to teach and work atmosphere is quite academic. I feel like going to school while at work.
Executive Leadership Unable to Develop and Execute on Strategy
Director (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 1, 2019
I am constantly confused as to the priorities of the executive leadership team. It seems as though they are unable to develop a strategy and then organize the business to execute upon that strategy effectively.
benefits
Cons
work life balance is poor, confused executive leadership
A hard place to work wile female
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 11, 2018
The company -- to my knowledge -- is not as bad as Uber. Pervasive sexual harassment is not there. But the soft sexism is a real problem, particularly in some specific groups. Parts of the company are really great. Sadly, the company does not have standardized hiring, promotion, and evaluation practices so the quality of your experience varies widely depending on the org your in or even your specific boss.

Examples of soft sexism and bias from the Portal org:

- Women seeking advancement have to be extremely assertive and persistent . (Which can backfire.) Whereas their male counterparts get groomed and developed

- Women bringing up data-specific concerns about projects and calling out risks are called overly negative.

- If a woman is vocally critical about something she is perceived as "emotional."

- Bullying, overspeaking, and credit stealing occur routinely with the same individuals. HR does nothing and the bullies still get promoted.

Advice to job seekers -

Some parts of the company are great. Ask questions. Make sure to speak with a range of people before accepting an offer. Get a bead on how your future boss treats direct reports. Ask about evaluative criteria for performance and success recognition. Be wary of managers who talk a big game but, when pressed, don't offer specifics indicating they actually understand your discipline.

And lastly, know that even if you join under a great boss, the company does constant reorgs and you may not get to keep that great boss. The company is extremely slow to remove poor performers and even slower to remove
  more... abusive/toxic managers. They would rather manage out the "troublemakers" who have the audacity to complain about bad managers than reprimand or fire those managers.

Tread carefully.
Pros
Lots of smart, dedicated people
Cons
Uneven policy implementation leading to some orgs with abusive working environments
Great company with huge learning opportunities
Software Engineer Co-op (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 10, 2018
Everyone on the team is willing to help you. Though being an intern, they value your opinion and provide with enough freedom to try and learn new things.
Great co-op events organized balancing work and fun.
first manager was great then we didn't have one for 8 months
Senior Platform Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  san mateo then santa claraSeptember 23, 2018
I started out enjoying the job but after we moved locations i was paying way more for rent, wasn't given time off or pay to relocate. then once we did relocate we had no manager for 8 months so we missed out on bonuses and raises. then they hired someone from another location to manage us and within 2 months the entire team was laid off or fired. my last month there was stressful, i was yelled at all the time and there was poor communication. when i tried to address the harassment to HR i was promptly fired for insubordination
Pros
made ok money
Cons
never saw a place to advance
Good people who want success for all
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 21, 2018
Akamai was relatively young and still trying to piece together their outlook towards employees. I enjoyed my time there and was thankful for the opportunities presented to me.
Good work culture.
SQA Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 7, 2018
very flexible work timinng and option to work from home.
Time to time , food is provided and people are involved in all extra activites. No dress code.
Great CEO
Sr. Manager, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 7, 2018
Well respected CEO
Building new corporate HQ
Unlimited PTO is very good
No typical day but Friday's are quiet in the office. most people work from home
Company great... But not inside NOCC
Platform Operations Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAApril 26, 2018
If you work inside the NOCC be prepared to be let down.
Horrible management practices. Work life balance practices allowed in other departments not allowed in NOCC.
Incompetent managers and unclear career track lead to a stressful and unfulfilling experience.
Technicians(lowest on the totem pole are leading and in charge of Engineers(highest on the totem pole) Completely baffling.
Nice Experience
Sr. Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAApril 14, 2018
Nice experience & exposure to cloud products. Top notch customers to work with. Good work life balance.
Typical day takes Program Planning, Pipeline Building, Project Planning/Schedule, Reporting, Analysis, Customer Support, Handling Escalations.
Working with multiple functions Sales, Pre-Sales, Account Management Group, Service Delivery and Support Team.
Great job
Head Field Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2018
Was fun working on different deployments and installations with the company. Learned a lot on location. Great communication with home office. Was able to travel.
good company great people
Project Manager/ EA to VP of Engineering (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAMarch 26, 2018
Was the EA to the VP of Engineering. When he left he promoted me to Project Manager. Reason I left was that company is all tech with no EA positions
Pros
Great team, good work/life balance
Overall a good company
Senior Director (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsMarch 20, 2018
Overall, a very successful company with a lot of potential. They still have the largest market share in the CDN business. Web security business is growing rapidly, and a key focus for the company.
Most people liked it
Senior SQA Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 10, 2018
.. but I did find it to be fast paced and competitive. If you can't produce on a technical level you are going to be left behind and your coworkers and manager won't (or don't have time to) help. Though there are plenty of courses, presentations, seminars, etc. Future of the company is probably ok, but a bit uncertain. Lots of competition in their traditional space (CDN), but they're making an effort to diversify.

I think the CEO was fine when the company was small and mid-sized and focused primarily on its CDN business. But the company might benefit from a veteran leader with a much more broad experience and vision, since the company needs to continue finding new revenue sources.
Great company to work with
SOFTWARE ENGINEER, TEST (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 4, 2018
Great company to work with, great work life balance, good benefits, amazing people to work with. You are given ample time to work and the job is adequately demanding as well.
Pros
good culture, great benefits, company moves at a relaxed pace
Cons
dated technology stack, lot of technical debt
The co-workers and technology are great
Software Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 1, 2018
Akamai is a good company, although there are too many smart people.. who only like doing things their way, so you end up with dozens of different variations of the same solution, not different enough to be worth the fact they're all one-offs
Pros
great benefits and people
Cons
upper level of management values numbers over people
Large(ish) company with a startup mentality
Product Manager, Customer Education (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 26, 2018
Akamai has many really smart people and it challenges you every day to do your best and make a difference.
Some departments lack vision and as is true for every company, your happiness and job satisfaction very much depends on where you work within the company.
Pros
Excellent Benefits, working with smart people
Cons
Lack of vision in my department
a great place to be
Software Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAFebruary 16, 2018
meet a lot of smart people; solve real problems; flexible time off policy; located in MIT campus; lots of young people joined; Diversity is respected.
Pros
time off policy
Cons
n/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Akamai Technologies. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight