Play YouTube video button

AKE Safety Equipment Employee Reviews

United States37 reviews
Featured review
AKE Safety Equipment selected this as a representative review
If a person is selected to work for this company, they are to report to the headquarters for a face-to-face interview with the CEO. I was one of the candidates selected and they covered the expenses for travel and hotel stay. They made sure to put me up in a nice and close hotel and I was greeted with a welcome bag with goodies and a hand written card. Upon arrival to the office, the staff was prepared for my arrival and greeted me at the door. The office was a relaxed environment and the training room had hundreds of pictures of their current and some past employees in which they are proud of. The CEO wasted no time introducing himself and getting to know me personally along with five other candidates. He let us know all about the company, what they expect and how we would be compensated. The training was unlike any other that I have had in the past because not only did the CEO personally perform the orientation, he also performed the training for the job over a two day period. After we were hired, we were given all of tools and knowledge necessary to perform the job successfully. Even better, the CEO arranged to have a sales manager go to each one of our territory’s to give us more training and field experience. This is by far the best training that I have ever received from a company and it made me feel important to have the CEO take the time to personally give it to me as acknowledgment that he wants me to succeed. I had a great experience and am looking forward to a long lasting relationship as a professional with the company.
November 15, 2019
We are happy to hear you enjoy working with us! Thank you for the feedback.
If you are an optimist go getter person. That has strong sales and closing skills. This is for you!
Faith based company with great values and vision. Providing an exceptional life saving product that people need. It is structured as an entrepreneurial operation. So as a sales representative you are a 1099. Make no mistake this is not for everyone, only the true winners will thrive!
After a year with AKE, I can confidently say that I LOVE my job! Each day I'm happy to get out the door to meet new people to discuss fire safety on their farms and in their homes. Basically you get to hang out with farmers and protect lives and livelihoods.
-As a 1099 contract employee, I get to be my own boss

-Work my own schedule

-Amazing accountability/support team

-Selling a world-class product

-AKE provides you with all of the training, tools, and materials to be successful

-It's all up to you and your mindset

With that being said, this is not an easy job for just anybody. You have to be able to build rapport with farmers who are typically adverse to salesmen. Some might yell at you to get off their property. Dogs will want to bite you. You pay for your own vehicle, gas, and local marketing (should you choose). You do occasionally spend long hours on the road. I don't see any of those as downsides but many people would.

If you want to be an entrepreneur with great support and an amazing product, apply now! Your potential for success is unparalleled.

If you're looking for security with a salary and paid benefits, you're better off working for somebody else.
I've been working for this company almost one year and very satisfied by the way they conduct their business. The way they treat employees with appreciation and respect. There is a huge possibility to grow and develop your skills. The freedom of being your own boss, your salary depends on your ability to put in hard work to make it happen. The company hands you everything to be successful with a high level of encouragement.
I love what I do. I believe I help save lives.

I'm very impressed overall with the company and have no complaints.
Great Christian based company that puts Christian values ahead of profit. You get to sell the best fire extinguisher on the market to the heart and soul people of our country, farmers. You must be willing to put in the work, submit to others, follow the patterns of successful people, and again put in more work. This company greatly rewards people who put in the work with a very attractive commission structure. They also provide a ton of ongoing training once you are in the field with multiple people designated specifically to help you succeed. I stress that you must be willing to work on yourself and then put that work into action. Sales do not happen unless you act. The sales managers all have a ton of experience and are always willing to share because they are invested in helping each person succeed. The hardest part of the job is humbling yourself enough to realize you are the only thing holding you back. It's not the price of the product, the economy, the territory, being a 1099, or any other excuse. It does take a few weeks to get business going but once I did, the rewards flowed freely. The best part of this job is making a difference in people's lives. Having customers call me and thank me for saving their equipment, homes, lives and livelihoods. There are not many sales jobs where what you sell makes this big of difference in people's lives. Bonus: I go to sleep at night with a clear conscious knowing I haven't been asked or forced to sacrifice my morals and beliefs.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Needs to be shut down. Unsafe health conditions and don't hold up to EPA regulations and no regards for employee health. Rude and uneducated or lack of common Sense.
February 18, 2020
Although all the comments in this review that are concerning, I would first like to address our manufacturing working conditions. The safety and well-being of our staff and customers is of the highest concern and literally why we are in business! AKE’s goal is to make the most reliable fire extinguisher because we want to protect people. We take all measures to protect our employees and if needed, PPE is mandated. We have always monitored and implemented standards and codes of good practice for the safety and health of our employees.

Secondly, I would like to address AKE’s compliance with EPA (Environmental Protections Act). We are in full compliance with the EPA. For more information, please view our website for technical information or contact us at 1-800-586-1639.
Pro: Excellent product.

Con: Extremely over priced. Expect a lot of driving and burning up a tank of fuel per day searching for a farmer/rancher willing to pay for the high price for this product. Do you have the money to purchase fuel daily until you sell something at this 1099 sales job?

Be prepared for a group interview where they will ask you personal questions in front of others. Unless they have changed, they will ask the most money you have ever made types of jobs, etc. In addition, they will ask family members names, ages, dates of birth and anniversary dates. Additionally, How much money you need to make within the next year and 5 years.

Another FYI: They will pay for your hotel room, however, it will be with another candidate that you don't even know.

They will also expect daily reporting of how many stops you made, how many people you spoke with, how many demo's you did, etc. In my opinion micromanagement. Be expecting to be pushed for more and more sales. Their are only a few that meet their expectations.
January 27, 2020
Thank you for your feedback. However, we have never asked any of our candidates to share hotel rooms. We pay for each candidate to have their own hotel the entire time they are here. We do have a premium product that comes with a premium price tag and that is not something we hide behind. Our customers understand the value of the product we sell and are happy to purchase a quality product that will work when they need it. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your interview or the time you spent working with us.
I love my 1099 position with AKE Safety Equipment. I love the freedom of working alone, yet never feeling alone because coworkers/other reps and managers are just a phone call away.
I thoroughly enjoy working with farmers, law enforcement, fire fighters and business owners as I teach them about "The World's Best Fire Extinguisher." I enjoy following up with my customers and being the fire safety expert to help them with their fire suppression needs.

The commissions are great when sales are great. I have been able to support my family of 6 for the past 3 years.
Pros
Fully remote with a great deal of freedom and flexibility. Difference makers
Cons
Planting, harvest and down farm economy can be challenging
December 23, 2019
Thank you for the feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your time with this company.
I thoroughly enjoy the freedom of being my own boss, working a schedule that is flexible to my family's needs and working with farmers in rural America.
The product we sell is the best in the world for putting out fire. It is light weight, compact and easily stored in machinery, shop and home. Everybody needs this product! I enjoy demonstrating it and selling it.
December 23, 2019
Thank you for the feedback! It is good to hear you enjoy selling STOP-FYRE.
Worked my butt off for 2 months for this company, dumping all of my savings into my gas tank and came up broke. I never made a single red cent. I wish I could go back and redo my desicion to fill out their application.
December 23, 2019
We are sorry you had an unpleasant experience. We make it clear that this position is not a good fit for everyone, it does require a lot of hard work and dedication and you have to have strong sales skills. We appreciate the feedback.
If you are not doing your job, even though you are a 1099 employee, you will be worked out of your territory. Bad upper management and you get 1 day of training and then go back to your territory and basically have to figure it out. You have a Sales Manager but they just assign numbers you need to hit and after 3 days of field training you need to figure out what will work or you find another job to support your living.
Pros
Great Product as I am a True Believer
Cons
Owner/VP of Sales is very unrealistic.
November 15, 2019
We do have high expectations for our sales representatives for many reasons but one would be that you have a protected territory. If you are not selling, that means the customers in that territory are going without a much needed product. We provide extensive training and all the materials you need to sell and to be successful. We are sorry to hear this was not a good fit for you but we appreciate the feedback.
The good: On boarding is phenomenal, 2nd to none. The company is definitely driven to help you in any way of the sales process. The other Sales Rep are very motivating and you do feel as though you are part of a team.

The bad: Pay structure is really unorthodox. They offer a draw system (if you want), but it's not worth it. You have to wait a month before you get your first draw check (never heard of this in any industry). I'm not talking about the commissions on the sales you make. It doesn't make sense to wait that long. The whole point of a draw is to help someone pay for gas and maintain their bills as their getting acclimated to the role. I dont care who you are, it's going to be bumpy the first few weeks. There are exceptions of course. Some people have sold right off the bat and that's great, but I had to work a second job just to pay for those basic necessities for which I thought the draw was for. It didn't work out for me because I didn't dedicate the time I wanted to, not because I couldn't sell. After just a month I was let go. My advice to any new person, do not take the draw system. Be prepared to have at least 3-6 months of living expense so you dont rely on the draw. It's also a hard sell, but I was ok with that. They tell you that in the training, they acknowledge it, but yet they expect you to sell right off the bat. Kind of contradicts their Core Values.

Advice to Management: I understand that this is a business. But, I bet the company has had a lot of people in my shoes. If a person chooses the draw they shouldn't have to wait a month to get that.
 - more...
Pros
Work your own hours which gives you freedom
Cons
Pay structure
November 15, 2019
We are sorry to hear you had a negative experience. Very few people will take the draw but we offer it to help the people that it makes sense for. It is just an option, most people choose not to take it. We appreciate the feedback.
Like anything in life you get back what you receive. So if you are an average salesperson then you probably won’t make it. AKE wants a team of “Navy Seal” salespeople. To succeed and thrive you must think like the elite. The vetting process is incredibly intense. But for those that have the honor of passing the process the rewards are amazing. Remarkable product that nothing compares to.

I read other reviews that speak about the price, and yes they do come with a premium price, but it is a premium product. Yes our primary market is area farmers, sadly when farmers do have a fire that will without a doubt cost them considerably more then the extinguisher.

Best way to sum up my review is that I finally feel like I have found a place to call home. I was a firefighter for almost 20 years and can say without hesitation that these are an absolutely amazing product that WILL saves lives and property.
Pros
Flexible schedule, unlimited income potential.
November 15, 2019
Thank you for the comment! We are glad you are enjoying your time!
A person will be successful in this job for only a short time if they are located in a geographical area that is proliferated with LARGE farms. There is no residual income and no salary , so if you want to continue to make good money, you must be able to make large sales regularly. There is no leads generated to assist, strictly cold-calling. Much of the US has already been exposed to sales reps attempting to market the product by means of cold-calling/direct sales. The product is great for what it does in theory, but you are limited with whom you can sell to due to the lack of certification on this product (farmers primarily). The compensation or commission for sales is good, but the price of the product is way over the top which makes for hard sales, period. This job description states there are no upfront costs for product, which is true, but there will be significant costs associated with vehicle expenses, i.e. fuel, maintenance costs, hotel accommodations once you’ve exhausted the options close to home and have to travel 2+ hours to get to the target area. Farmers being the primary target audience, operate on a set schedule, so you will be required to get in front of farmers early in the morning before they get started (6am or better) cold-calling on them or late in the evening (8pm or later) after a long day of work in the fields. Tough audience to sell to, they are very skeptical of cold-call sales and it doesn’t help that for a “national” sales company, their national marketing is almost non-existent except for when it comes to recruiting new sales reps.
Pros
Good product
Cons
Compensation structure, no benefits, commission only, no residual income, high product cost, no UL listing
November 15, 2019
We appreciate your feedback. We make it clear this is a 1099 Independent Contractor position, it is not necessarily a good fit for everyone. We are sorry to hear you did not have a good experience.
Great environment that is laid-back but everyone works hard to get their job done. You learn so many skills on the job while also developing skills you already have.
Pros
Allows dogs in the office, casual dress
November 15, 2019
Thank you for the review! We aim to improve obsessively which includes developing our employees.
I enjoy working for this company because not only working with great employees but the management as well. They treat you like being a part of a family which is why I always look forward to going to work every day.
Pros
Great working environment, great employees and management.
November 15, 2019
Thank you for the feedback! We are glad you are enjoying your time with us!
Tons of miles and wear and tear on your own car, with no reimbursement for maintenance or repairs. No pay guarantee, straight commission = good weeks and bad weeks, so you better be very good at budgeting your money. Cold calling so be prepared for rejection on a daily basis. You better have money in the bank, enough to cover at least two months worth of your bills before you start working here, otherwise you're screwed.
Pros
You're your own boss (sort of)
Cons
Pay not great, tons of miles on your own vehicle.
May 23, 2019
We are sorry to hear your experience was not what you expected. The Sales Representative position is a 1099 independent contracting position and we understand it is not a good fit for everyone. However, we appreciate you sharing your experience and providing feedback.
The company wasn't on time for the phone interview and after you sit around waiting for them to call, they failed to follow up with me or respond to any emails I sent inquiring about the position.
Cons
poor mangment
May 23, 2019
We are sorry to hear you had a negative experience during the phone interview stage. Typically, the interview stage is a smooth process and candidates are moved through quickly. Please feel free to call us to provide more specific details about your experience.
They expect you to travel thousands of miles for under .15 a mile and hear their pitch BEFORE you find out what counties near where you live are even available and would not answer basic product questions like if its paten protected
Pros
could be a great product
Cons
see above
December 5, 2018
"When someone is going through our interview process, you will be expected to come to our home office in Minnesota for several days. During these few days, we are getting to know you, but it also gives you the chance to ask as many questions as you like. As far as expenses, AKE will reimburse for 100% of gas expenses round trip, as well as 2 - 4 nights in a hotel, depending on where you are coming from. If candidates choose to fly, we take the money we would have given for gas and put that towards your flight. We feel that coming to our home office is a critical step in the interviewing process, not because we want you to hear our 'pitch' but because this is a time for you to assess the opportunity with our company and make sure this is the right fit not only for us, but for you as well.

The specific counties that you will work as a Sales Representative is not something that is determined during the phone interview with Human Resources. Your interview here in Minnesota is typically done with AKE's owner, Allen Kronebusch, and between the two of you, you will decide what your protected sales territory consists of. Generally speaking, there is not an issue giving new a Sales Representative the counties they feel like would be most beneficial to cover for their territory."
Great place to work!!! Def need to be a "sales guru" to succeed. Sales Managers are very helpful and will get you off to a great start in your teritorry.
Pros
Awesome Regional Management in the North East.
Cons
Hard Sell
I enjoyed working for AKE. I was able to make my own hours, learn a lot about sales, be part of a great team and make great money. Although parts of the job were difficult, it was up to me to make it great. no one was holding me back. The support of the people in the office and the managers on the road all had my back.I have never been part of such a supportive group of people before. I would recommend this job to anyone who had the drive and dedication it takes to succeed in the sales world.
Pros
Excellent Team, Great Money, Great Learning Environment
Cons
Lots of driving, tough sales during specific seasons, cold direct sales
Ask a question about working or interviewing at AKE Safety Equipment. Our community is ready to answer.