Akima, LLC

Akima, LLC Employee Reviews in Fairfax, VA

Found 1 review matching the search with 20 reviews near your location.
Poor leadership skills among mid-level managers and extremely underfunded for infrastructure supports
Company growing at a very rapid rate. Take care of their executives in terms of compensation, some of whom are very nice but the ones that effect org culture are a nightmare. Company culture is extremely oppressive for those who are not in management; the internal shared services (infrastructure) is stressed like a rubberband beyond capacity. Very limited opportunities to grow within the company and line level employees are treated very badly. The HR Department is completely siloed and ineffective at recruitment activities in particular. Company does not recognize the resources it has from within to promote. I learned that in order to grow professionally, one must leave the company. Very nice people who share similar experiences. Overall, mid level managers are amatuers and company needs leadership training to reform current oppressive culture.
Pros
Benefits, free coffee, nice gathering for breakfasts on Friday mornings
Cons
Too many to mention
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Related reviews
20 reviews near your selected location with similar search
Ping Pong
I came in with a great attitude and everyone was friendly.

I learned a lot in my short tenure, but had very little time on my own to process the information.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
No communication
Pleasant work environment
Company is quite laid back, but strong management skills and support. Cared for employees at all times.
Great Compensation and Loyal to employee's.
1. Check work email for daily vehicle temploan request, update report to reflect daily and weekly productivity.
2. Learned the (PBUSE) Property Book Unit Supply Enhanced software used for Army Accountability. Army Regulations and Technical Manuals.

3. Worked closely with management to perform contract duties per the PWS,SOP and Army Regulation.

4. Worked as a team to accomplish task in a timely manner.

5. Working with upper management in obtaining direct orders to continue a project.

6. Being a part of a team that performed as a family.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Company located out of State.
Run far, Run fast
With the merger and reorganization, leadership has become punative. It is embarrassing to sit on a call and listen to the leaders conduct themselves. They should all go back to some kind of training camp.
They use terms like "Heads will roll" Really? Nice way to build morale.
Pros
Peers are dedicated and care about their products.
Cons
Leadership is not trustworthy. Lay offs occur nearly every week, while being told there are no more lay offs.
Being an intern for Akima!
A typical day at work would be training for anything and everything.
I've learned how to do invoices for contractors and subcontractors, i sat in some meetings to see how everything worked. my co-workers were very friendly, some of them were from home (alaska) because it is a Native Corporation, so it was nice to be able to be apart of it. the hardest part of the job was being away from my family. and the most enjoyable part was that they planned activities for us every weekend. we got to see all of the monuments in DC and got to ride the metro. We took a day trip to New York. the Summers are very beautiful.
Look at your other options
Akima has talented people working for them; however, management does not know how to treat them. Almost non-existent communications, no employee meetings, functions and/or perks to show any sort of appreciation. The few and far between that are held, managers are rarely present. Management just cares about the bottom line and not their employees that help them get there.
Pros
Lay offs are not common
Cons
Communication and Management
New management needed
Upper management is great. However, middle management needs to be drastically improved.
Small Business flexibility, Large Business Vibe
Fast growing, lots of change over the past several years - have to be willing to work in a fluid environment but can be rewarding
Pros
Flexibility
Benefits
hard working team and supportive manager
This was a great company to work for. They were more like family than co-workers. I learned so much at this job not just my job skills, but how to interact with a variety of people at all levels within the company. I would still be there if it wasn't for the commute, which was 2-3 hours each way. I highly recommend this company.
DON'T waste your time!
The proposal dept. is a joke. Company culture is non-existent and favoritism is alive and well. Things have changed drastically over the last two years and the changes are not positive. Co-workers in the proposal dept are shady and run to management for every little thing instead of communicating like adults. The staff consists of insecure/ unqualified individuals who complain more than they produce. I ended up leaving due to unethical practices and a lack of respect for management. Don't waste your time in this department--trust me “Unethical behavior will come to light eventually". Environment is very noisy and employees are not appreciated.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
unethical behavior, poor management, favoritism, phony/backstabbing co-workers
DSD - Route Driver – Merchandiser –Sales
I was responsible for scheduling on time Direct Store Deliveries (DSD) of product at 105 stores located in Virginia and Maryland.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
NOVA - Traffic
Good Company
It is important to state that Akima is a parent company of the company I work with which is Affigent. Akima owns Affigent. NANA owns Akima.

Affigent has a loosely based management structure with multiple sales personnel managing different contract vehicles depending upon what their primary customer uses (DoD, State Dept. etc.).

Affigent is a small business (50-75 employees) which moves very quickly. As a small business, cash flow is critical to ensure the credit line of such a small company. This means there is a lot of pressure on procurement and post ops as well to ensure adequate proof of delivery is attained.

Do not be fooled, this company does very well for itself, but sometimes at the cost of respect for coworkers.
Pros
Large amount of opportunity and building skills.
Cons
Come end of fiscal year in September - its a battlefield.
A very positive and supportive work environment
AKIMA is a very positive work environment that has allowed me to grow in my career. The people within AKIMA are very encouraging and supportive and want to see growth within each individual.
Good solid company
Good company that has maintained itself even in downturns. Good solid leadership. Good work life balance. Have to prove yourself, slow with raises and promotions.
Nice Company
Nice company with good work hours and knowledgeable co-workers. Would like a better health insurance option, but I've worked here for almost 6 years.
Pros
Free donuts and bagels on Fridays, nice building with underground parking garage and a free gym
Cons
Health care, maternity leave policy
Great Benefits but direction and management changes needs improvement
Great Benefits but direction and management changes needs improvement.

75% travel plus 15 different directions at one time.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Direction and executive management changes needs improvement
Excellent company to start your professional career with. Fast paced environment, opportunity to get experience working across a variety of functions/line organizations
Pros
Great people/culture
Cons
Benefits not great
Bright workplace, filled with every opportunity to learn more.
Basic 8-5 work day. Learned every department function in HR. Sitting for long periods of time was particularly challenging. Process of learning every important detail in HR Recruiting was the most enjoyable for me.
Pros
Fitness Center
Dead End Opportunity
I worked there 5 years in the same role. No opportunity for advancement, very little in pay increase, multiple years of no annual pay increase.

Very poor management.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Poor Pay, no pay increases, no bonus plans
Culture was the only positive aspect of the job
I have nothing more to say concerning my work time at Akima. I would not recommend the company to my friends, especially those that work in the HR department.