Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP Employee Reviews

A good place to work if you are willing to do the hard work
Senior Counsel (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 8, 2018
The work is interesting and intellectually challenging. The overall atmosphere is relaxed and collaborative. Everyone must pull their weight as every member of the team is valuable.
Stuffy
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 8, 2018
It's a corporate law firm, they follow policies and procedures to the book. They offer and encourage training. There is no work-life balance and unless you are on the "legal" side of employment there are very little perks here aside from great benefits and pay.
Pros
great pay and benefts
Cons
short lunch breaks, time off is frowned upon
Not a fun place to work
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 28, 2018
Despite all one's efforts there is no satisfying the women attorneys
One can use all the skills, effort and energy but there is no positive giving on the boss' part. Not a great place to work.
Great Firm
Real Estate Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Century City, CAJanuary 3, 2018
Good location and people very friendly. Work is intense but they do everything to make the job as pleasant as possible. They give you the tools needed to get the job done.
Pros
Breakfast on Fridays
High profile law firm; respected Ambassadors, Lobbyist, and lawyers
Legal Secretary/Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 26, 2017
It was an incredible experience; an educational experience with Ambassadors, Lobbyist and the media; highly respectable law firm; always treated with respect.
Pros
Free luncheons; after work get togethers; treated with the upmost respect.
Cons
Traffic
Office
Office (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 28, 2017
Attorneys are very confident and knowledgeable of what they want. Billing done in their system and submitted via electronic billing thru some e-billing websites. Other bills are done and e-mailed to clients by the attorneys or billers. Special projects and reports are always needed as in every firm. As in most firms year end is somewhat hectic as expected.
Over all nice firm with good benefits if hired.
Pros
Good Firm
Nice place to work
Corporate Secretary (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 22, 2017
A typical day includes answering attorney's lines and processing any of their requests and time entry. The office is fairly pleasant and they seem to treat their employees well.
Professionalism to a "T"
Patent Prosecution Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 12, 2017
In my 9+ years with Akin, Gump I learned a lot about patent law. I dealt primarily with foreign patent and trademark prosecution where I developed relationships with foreign patent/trademark agents all over the world. I worked closely with 14 attorneys in our office, taking care of their filing and docketing needs.
Restaurant Associates
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 4, 2017
I work with RA in Akingump. The work atmosphere is friendly, managers are very helpful and the crew is family oriented. Compensation isn't the best but the pro out weigh the cons with weekends off.
Pros
Weekends, paid vacation, okay benefits, family oriented crew
Cons
horrible compensation
Productive and fun place to work.
Office Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 25, 2017
The typical work day is always interesting. I learned a great deal about legal field, as well as what it takes to effectively solve problems when they occur. The management is always working diligently to create the best environment for success. The work culture is great and always focused on team effort and productivity. The hardest part of the job is making sure to follow the legal guidelines. The most enjoyable part of the job is winning cases.
Pros
Healthcare, Flexibility.
Cons
Limited advancement for staff employees.
Great Place
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 13, 2017
Very smart people. Great attitude. Hard working yet caring. Colloquial and easy spirit. But serious and efficient at the same time. Managed by good people.
Pros
profit sharing
Cons
null
Overall good firm. Poor departmental management.
Attorney (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 28, 2016
Departmental management plays favorites and is obvious about it. Upper management is stellar and cares about its employees. Pay and benefits are pretty good. Partners are often haughty and rude, but many are great.
Pros
Upper management, benefits.
Cons
Department management is awful.
Not the typical employee
Pro Bono Policy Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 14, 2015
I'm not the typical employee at the company, in that I consult on a pro-bono basis. The company is very open, however, to outsider input.
Morlocks in the basement
Litigation Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 9, 2015
At the time I worked there, Akin Gump's litigation support department was consigned to the basement. We were at the bottom of the priority list for facilities, and I found them to be untenable. On the other hand, this meant that we were left alone, and could work with relatively few disturbances.

We found ourselves under constant time pressure -- because the attorneys were under the same pressure themselves. We were in a constant race to furnish documents for the attorneys to review, because they needed the maximum amount of time to review and evaluate the information we were processing.

Trial support was particularly arduous, as we would spend eight hours in the court house, and then another eight hours preparing for the following day in court. Working double shifts for weeks can take its toll.
Pros
Salary, colleagues
Cons
Time pressure
Poor Management
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 22, 2015
A fast pace environment.The benefits are great! Management is not the best. Most are not fully qualified for their positions. Staff employees are just that, staff. Staff employees are not treated equally and positions are created for "favored" employees.
Benefits
Cons
Management, work/life balance, staff appreciation
A professional environmental providing top notch legal services to the clients
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 1, 2014
One of the best jobs I've had. Human Resource and bosses were especially supportive. The firm as a whole was like a family and I was rewarded for the long hours and overnight projects that came up. I was relied on to work independently and perform my job duties with excellence.
Pros
Excellent compensation & benefits, lots of perks from vendors and clients. Great co-workers.
Cons
Hours could be long (overnight) and work could be extremely specifically detailed
Great firm
Staff Attorney (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 25, 2014
These people are world class. Very good people, in Dallas, anyway..
Pros
collegiality
Cons
None.
Productive and Advanced
Legal Secretary, Recruiting Admin (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2014
I enjoyed my employment during my time with this company. I met many great people with a host of everyday opportunities which allowed challenges that helped me grow.
Pros
healthcare, salary, advancement for growth, overall great environment
Cons
unfortunate bad chemistry with high end leaders that caused uncomfortable situations to occur.
Productive and wonderful place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 9, 2013
This company has every type of law available. It was fast paced and professionalism was definitely a priority.
horrid place with awful co workers
litigation (Former Employee) –  los angeles June 16, 2013
Bad people are kept around forever to make everyone else's life miserable. Evil selfish behavior is rewarded.
Pros
they pay well
Cons
backstabbing is the company sport

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP. Our community is ready to answer.

Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP Reviews by Location