Akorn, Incorporated Employee Reviews

Stay away
Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 16, 2019
If I keep it long, this would be at least 10 pages long.

In short, this is the worst and rotten place to work for people with integrity and fairness.

Management no matter at the highest or lower level don't care how the job is done as long as you can report it is completed. They don't care if the data is accurate or if the work is done per procedures. Only that is done.

This place is a complete joke. This place is great for brown nosers.
Cons
Lack of diversity, unqualified management and workers, dishonesty, lack of quality and compliance
Growing Company
QC Data Integrity and Compliance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Amityville, NYFebruary 26, 2019
A Good Growing Company.
It is challenging and interesting to working here.
Implementing all new data management systems such as Empower 3 Chromatography data systems and other laboratory and manufacturing systems.
Perfect for people who can keep quite...
Production technician Lyo (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILFebruary 21, 2019
1st off, management is always a joke. They'll tell you how "important it is to use proper practices" and then when you bring meeting discussed issues to their attention they'll allow you to bypass it. They cut A LOT of corners.

Do your job and go home don't worry about this place after you clock out. Theres a reason they recently had someone back out of their merger. But theres always $$ to be made in pharmaceuticals.

Be careful of the backstabbing and double standards. Be a good butt kisser or keep your mouth shut. Perfect for someone who can smile when they actually wanna scream...

Last worked there 2016
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Clean work conditions, vacation
Cons
Management management management. Double standards and lies
A company in transition
Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILFebruary 20, 2019
The company was due to be purchased by a German company, however the acquisition was reversed in the courts. Akorn has significant turnover, a weak control environment, and is struggling to find their identity. Revenues have plummeted over the last several years; the outlook does not look good.
Pros
Good work life balance, easy to get in and out of, free coffee
Cons
Poor management, poor treatment of associates, apathetic environment.
I learned and retained a lot from Akorn.
PURCHASING ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJanuary 6, 2019
Akorn was in transition of being acquired by a European pharmaceutical company at the same time of a major expansion at one our manufacturing locations. I absolutely loved working there and truly miss it daily.
Pros
Great people, loved the daily challenges and the ambition to be the best.
Cons
Lack of management, not many benefits, no recognition for putting in the long hours to make sure the company ran smoothly.
Good place to work if you get on full time
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILDecember 4, 2018
As a contract to hire I was under the impression I would become full time, 2 weeks before Christmas I was told my contract was ending because of budget reasons. I love the people there and the work atmosphere just don’t get how they can let us go right before Christmas
Excellent benefits, poor job security, poor hours and working conditions
Distribution Associate 1 (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILNovember 27, 2018
The benefits and working conditions were mostly a positive note, the company frequently allowed unauthorized individuals to operate machinery. In one such incident, this ended with an employee in the hospital, who was thankfully released the same day with only minor injuries. Furthermore, as discussion came in about the company being bought out in a merger, job security disappeared. This merger recently dissolved with a court case that ended this year, not in favor of Akorn.
Pros
Excellent benefits, Paid time off
Cons
Concerning and unsafe work environment
packaging
Packaging Associate (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILNovember 23, 2018
Akorn was a great place to work, management made up the rules as they go and most of the time it wasn't fair. I worked ant shift as long as they were available and always worked overtime when needed now im being pentalized for choosing to finish college verses working at the time
Pros
akorn is a clean educational place to work with several opportunities to grow within the company.
Cons
company needs to take certain things into consideration instead of holding it against people.
Awful Management - Buddy System
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILNovember 15, 2018
I absolutely loved the individuals I worked with directly. However, they are severely lacking in management, especially upper management. They were not keen on hiring the right individuals for the job, because that would cost money. Instead, they preferred to hire in-house & train. The problem then is that these individuals would only train to the Akorn way rather than understanding common practices. Too often you heard "because that's how it was done last time" rather than asking why or ensuring that programs were lean in nature or compliant.
Cons
Almost everything
good place to work at
Technician (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILNovember 11, 2018
Akron is a very good place to work for especially if you love to help people with their health i love working there I would encourage anyone to work there
Liked my job
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Somerset, NJNovember 2, 2018
Small pharmaceutical company that made really good products. Moved on for greater opportunities and advancements. Nice people and work place, but had to move on.
Pros
great people
Cons
no advancement
Overload of work with little incentive to work beyond expectations
Quality Control Chemist 1 (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILOctober 28, 2018
This is a good place to start coming out of college; you'll get plenty of experience in the pharmaceutical industry. But this department is meant to serve as a stepping stone for analysts who perform well. There is little opportunity for growth with even less incentive to "go that extra mile".
Great place to start or finish your career in pharma
SENIOR REGIONAL ACCOUNT MANAGER/SPECIALTY SALES (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 25, 2018
Small enough to matter and contribute. Contribution recognized and incentivized. Impartial sales leadership, very approachable and engaged in sales efforts. Down side would be not enough $$ and constant changes to sales incentive plan.
Overall Growth Increased while employed by the company.
Planning Manager (Former Employee) –  Amityville, NYOctober 19, 2018
I learned the day to day operations and overall supply chain process. I converted priorities into a working four week manufacturing and packaging schedule which was reviewed daily.
Very productive; not much comradeship
Environmental Monitoring Technician (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILOctober 11, 2018
My company offers full benefits, guaranteed full time, and overtime hours. Management often treats employees unfairly, and most of the supervisors do not last more than a year or two. The people who work in production and microbiology are very well educated and professional individuals.
Pros
Free coffee, lunch vending machines
Cons
Long hours, late lunch breaks
Company is in Acquisition process and laid off is on going
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILSeptember 30, 2018
More improvement needed in the management level for them to recognized their valued and hardworking employees. No opportunity for advancement. Not good.
Challenging but rewarding place to work
Operator (Current Employee) –  Amityville, NYSeptember 22, 2018
Very busy place to work. Always have more than enough work to do on a daily basis. Good people to work with in all departments. In the middle of changing culture process.
Pros
Good Medical and prescription plan
Good Experience
DISTRIBUTION ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILSeptember 12, 2018
I enjoyed working with Akorn. Supervisor was excellent. Benefits were good. Good team work & nice crew of people to work with. I really liked picking orders. The hardest part of the job was cross-training due to my disability which created problems for me. I recommend Akorn.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Cross-training was a problem for me.
Poor management
Production Tech (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILAugust 22, 2018
Management is very unprofessional and separate. If I could recommend any improvement it would be a change in management. The employees just don't get their voices heard.
A good start
Purchasing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILAugust 16, 2018
They have a welcoming culture. Workload are properly divided among employees. Everyone seems nice and willing to help you out to make your job easier.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Akorn, Incorporated. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight