Akron Urban League

Working at Akron Urban League: 22 Reviews

United States22 reviews

peoplegreatworkdaylovejobplaceemployee

Very productive place. I enjoy working with my team and everyone is nice.

Overall, I have had a great time working at AUL. Diverse atmosphere, everyone helps one another, and the day goes by so quickly. Hard work sometimes.

Pros

Events, diversity, great managers, and teamwork.

Cons

Clients can be difficult to work with at times, but that comes with Case Management.

lack of transparency and flexibility

salary workers are required to work OT with no flex time or additional pay. you must take sick time if you have a quick appointment during the day. many people come in late, however. additionally, there is a lack of financial transparency within the organization. an audit happens, but most employees are left wondering what happened to certain grant $ that were not spent as they could’ve been. executive decisions are made with little to no explanation for the employees. there is an assumption from HR that remote working or reducing hours would result in low outcomes for the organization.

Akron Urban League insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Supportive environment
  • Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues

Family work environment but sometimes your co workers get jealous of you.

No room for advancement. Too many leadership changes has made thr Urban league forget their mission statement. Being told to cancel services to a participant just because your superior feels a certain way one day.

Pros

Took away free lunches Low pay Some people there really want to help

Cons

Health care is expensive

Horrible

If you're considering working here, don't. It is unorganized, you will get no support and you will be expected to pretty much put work before anything else in your life. It is the most toxic job I have ever had. Many departments have only one person so you will have no direction and will be swamped with work. They have a lot of work to do to get better and treat their employees with respect.

Pros

Cons

Benefits, pay, culture

great place to work for

Management is awesome you will enjoy working for this company. Great people more like family the work culture is great here. You will learn a lot and great for advancement.

Supporting our community

This job was at the AUL Summer Enrichment Camp. Children take classes in Math, Literature, music, Dance, Art and Life Skills. There are weekly field trips to places such as bowling, skating, zoos, art museums, If you like working with children this job is ideal.

Pros

Helping children

Cons

Its only a summer position

Community Oriented

Love the passion in the work that everyone does. The team really loves the Akron and greater Summit County communities. This is a great place to work and a place to develop awareness of the needs in your community.

Horrible place to work

Most people here are highly unprofessional, including the CEO. I would not recommend working here. Every event is disorganized. The community is not being served. Potential donors, partners and clients have been lied to about what is really happening.

Great Place to Work, If You're Full-Time

It was full of good, kind, encouraging people. One of my favorite places to work. But did not see the potential to be full-time employee, so I had to leave.

volunteering

the urban league is great i received a scholarship from them which helped me out a lot. The talent show they had was great at the end of the program!

great

i enjoy working there and positive energy nice people. i love talking and helping people with what they needed. i also worked with kids in the program they had. great place to work.

This place care about the employees.

This place is a great place to work, however working for a nonprofit is tricky. Working for a nonprofit organization is lovely if you are an individual with a passion to help people.

Pros

Team work, and the networking events.

Cons

Healthcare

Friendly enviornment

I was placed to work at a church where there was nothing but positive people & a very friendly environment. Beginning each work day with cleaning instructions I thoroughly followed.

good work place with nice employs

Working with the urban league was great, i enjoyed working with people and the pay was great. They sent me to work for the goodwill an that was a lot of fun,it was people there from all ranges of ages that i worked with they helped me build better communication skills. organizing was something they helped me perfect as well. just a all around good company.

Pros

you will learn something when you leave

Cons

there polices

Fun environment with dedicated and caring employees

Fun working environment with employees always displaying exceptional professionalism. Each day presented its own personal challenge, bringing out the best in the entire workplace.

Absolutely Awesome

I love working here. Everyday I am able to interact with people constantly because it is a part of my job. I guess if you love going to work then its not really a job. Working with people and getting to converse with them is what I love to do.

Pros

People/Environment

I loved my Job

A typical day at work was always productive , feeling important and having a direct guide to every ones questions and any help with info, transferring calls, faxing, and working with windows excel. i had a absolute great opportunity to work with a great woman name Ms.Eunice if it was something i didn't know she always had a answer for me, she taught me so much.

A perfect place to work for servicing the community

On a typical day I return phone calls and emails, review certifications for clients, create client action plans, contact small businesses to encourage participation in workshops and/or events, send out email campaigns to market workshops, address questions that team members may have, compile reporting information, and attend meetings. I have learned that the needs of small business owners are very different but all clients need assistance with something. I don't let my own thoughts of where a business owners should be impair the help that I will give them as they grow their individual businesses. Management is still being worked out. At one point it was great but after a few changes it will require some fixing. I would love to see it get back to where it once was when people were appreciated equally, everyone care about the true mission of the company and why we exist, and the commitment to getting the job done. This is not all departments but it is most departments. I love my co-workers and I get along with everyone of them. I do not listen to or generate gossip so this is what keeps me in a good position thus being the reason I have typically been selected to oversee and lead numerous teams and programs. The hardest part of my job is not having enough time in a day or funds for enough team members to be able to assist the community every concern that they have on a daily basis. Our resources are limited and this prevents us from helping with every request that clients have. I enjoy working with business owners to enhance their individual businesses and I love -

Pros

Paid lunches, vacation, flexible hours (4 10-hr days)

Cons

Expensive healthcare, located in Ohio (too cold)

Productive Life Changing experience working where you can make a difference in local youth

A typical Day at Akron Urban League summer camp is unique in every way. To engage in alternative education with ages 5-12 is an experience. Music, art, dance and literature were my favorite to explore. Building friendships and being a role model for this age group was the most enjoyable. The hardest part was keeping everyone on task and engaged ready to learn whats next. The co workers were a mixture of adults and teenagers who worked together to be leaders and above all educators. it was an adventure ill never forget. Field trips were pretty hectic.

Pros

Free Field Trips

Cons

short lunch breaks, limited hours

Productive and great environment to learn and conduct work

I come Clock in then go out to my sites to check on my employees make sure there on time for work and doing what there suppose to I loved my job but it was only a summer youth program so it lasted just for the summer

Working and mentoring students at summer camp and tutoring, while communicating with parents about their child’s progress.

Working and mentoring students at summer camp. Being a group leader, and helping assist them with there everyday needs.

Common questions about Akron Urban League

Answered by current and former employees at Akron Urban League

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Akron Urban League. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits