Alabama A&M University Employee Reviews

You might be better off picking up aluminum cans by the highway
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Normal, ALSeptember 7, 2018
This job is fine if you are just wanting to get out of the house for awhile, or want a little extra money. You will starve if you try to live on the wages though. Here's the lowdown: You get $900 a credit hour [before taxes] for classes that have at least 10 people in them. For low enrollment classes, you may only get half that. You are limited to two classes [6-8 hours] total per semester. That's 10,800-14,400 per year [not very many summer classes]. You will have to teach class for 1 1/2 months before you get paid for it. You have to have at least a Master's degree, and you have to be credentialed in the course material that you are teaching.
Pros
You can teach. You get about 1200/mo.
Cons
No benefits or job security, grossly underpaid
Great Workplace
Alabama Cooperative Extension Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Normal, ALOctober 16, 2018
Great work culture
Great benefits
Gain new knowledge on the job everyday
Able to progress easily
Flexible work schedule
Friendly work environment
Low stress work environment
My Dream came true
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Normal, ALJune 12, 2018
As a child I always wished to attend Alabama A&M University. I am thankful to God for blessing me with the opportunity and will always give Him praise for it!
Job
SPORTS INFORMATION DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Normal, ALAugust 30, 2018
Great learning experience. I was able to earn my Masters in Business management while working full-time. I received a free education because I was working.
I loved my time of employment at Alabama A&M University
Administrative Assistant (Graduate Assistant) (Former Employee) –  Normal, ALMay 9, 2018
From the groundskeepers to management, to the President of the University, my experience of employment at the University was a positive lifelong experience. If it were not for relocating, I would definitely apply for another position there.
Pros
Experience
Comptroller (Former Employee) –  Normal, ALOctober 19, 2017
A typical day at work involved remedying multiple issues from various departments. I learned to multi-task in a high paced environment. Management was decentralized which allowed for the development of creative ideas in handling the tasks at hand. The workplace culture was fast paced and sometimes stressful. The hardest part of the job was sticking with multiple deadlines. The most enjoyable part of the job was solving the various issues that we faced on a daily basis.
Productive work place
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Normal, ALMay 23, 2018
Productive and fun workplace to work, learn and enhance your skills.
Enjoyed the two weeks off during Christmas
Management was average
The most enjoyable part of the job meeting and networking with others
Pros
One Hour Lunch & Paid Holidays
Cons
Very Stressful at times
A decent place to begin a career
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 5, 2018
There are aspects of the company that need to be worked on. They need to listen to their workers more and implement some changes into the office. The moral is sub-par and could be increased if management would pay attention.
It was great !
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 2, 2018
I would definitely recommend the job ! It was a great experience that I personally would not trade for the world . I love the people there and the culture. Long Live Thy Fame !
Pros
Great School
Cons
Na
Fun place to work
GIS Specialist (Graduate Research Assistant) (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMarch 21, 2018
There is always something to get you busy in this role, especially when you get to deal with student requests. There are friendly people everywhere and there is always a reason to look forward to the next day at work.
Pros
Friendly people everywhere
Cons
Strong politics
Very informative
Graduate Assistant/ Planning Researcher (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALAugust 22, 2018
A typical day is busy conducting research. I learn something new all the time and I manage my own work load. It's very conducive to my graduate school schedule.
Toxic work environment in some departments
Salaried Employee (Former Employee) –  Normal, ALJuly 9, 2018
Poor customer service and lack of team work and unity. Team mates were cut throat and verbally abusive toward certain individuals and it appeared to be work place bullying.
Internship
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 11, 2018
I started an internship which turned into a job. The manager was very sweet. There was always a lot of work and there was a team to help through everything.
AAMU stressful but enjoyable
Chef De Cuisine (Former Employee) –  West CampusJune 26, 2018
A typical work day consist of coming in sometimes at 6am to prep food food for students breakfast, lunch and dinner. It was enjoyable to know that I was cooking for students who were away from home and they had a balanced meal 3 times a day.
Building new employment opportunity
Secretary/Financial Aid Analyst (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 20, 2018
Being able to work for a HBCU (Historical Black College and University) was a grand opportunity for my cultural enrichment. This work experience gave me the mindset to be able to face any challenge given in the workplace through determination and persistence.
Pros
Internal work advancement opportunities
Cons
Na
Fun and cut throat
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Normal, ALMay 30, 2018
I thoroughly have enjoyed my time here on campus at Alabama A&M University. Although the job can sometimes be a bit overwhelming, it can also be fun and you can enjoy what you do.
Pros
Off two weeks at Christmas, all major holidays and a week for Thanksgiving
Cons
ragedy buildings
Helping other is the ultimate satisfaction
Supplemental Instructor (SI) (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALFebruary 15, 2018
The most important thing I learned as a tutor and SI is that there are different kinds of students in college and most of them have the same issue, and they need a different way of approach in order to get the help they need. Proper training has the most significant impact in choosing the right technique to address. The school has provided me the training I need to implement.So, I have never been satisfied as much as I am right now and through the course of time, I have learned a lot in this job which required a set of skills in order to achieve what is desired.
Overall balanced
Research Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Normal, ALMay 29, 2018
Alabama A&M isn't a company but is has been beneficial for me ever since I enrolled in the Institution. I'm currently still attending Alabama A&M and working on obtaining my degree in Forestry.
Rewarding ahd satifying work
College of Education (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 16, 2018
Serving students and the University mission is the real pay-off. Good faculty and staff understand this is the real reward; no one stays for the paycheck.
Pros
Gratifying work
Cons
No merit increases
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 27, 2018
Working here is a trip the hardest part is getting people to change the old way of doing things. Each department is different. A lot depends on who your supervisor is.