Alabama Department of Corrections Employee Reviews

Stressful environment the majority of the time.
Training Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALApril 3, 2018
The department as a whole is somewhat falling apart. Things are changing but not for the good. The department itself uses to be an exciting career to hold and be proud of but now it only seems like a job where no one is truly valued as an employee.
Very good job
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  Wetumpka, ALApril 2, 2018
I ensured all safety protocols were met; ensured administrative regulations were followed; provided for the security and welfare of inmates; and kept an accurate count of inmates under my supervision.
Benefits
Cons
work hours
Sucks
Officer in Charge (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, AL 35023January 31, 2018
Great hours if you dont have a life. If you have a life, youll want to leave within a year. No family time, highly stressfull at most mid and max prisons
Pros
The days your able to call in sick=your actual off day
Cons
Evrything
good starter job with benefits and fair wages
Law Library Technician (Former Employee) –  Clayton, ALNovember 16, 2017
The Department of Corrections is a good started job but due to the level of stress this type of job involves, working more than 5 - 10 years can be detrimental to one's mental, emotional and moral health. Benefits are very good and pay is fair. It is not a job that just anyone can handle but one that must be done.
Pros
benefits & pay
Cons
stress level
ADOC one of the most dangerous in the country
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Clio, ALOctober 7, 2017
ADOC is the most corrupt law enforcement agency in the state of Alabama. You will not find a more dangerous place to work, a lower paying job, nor a more stressful job than the ADOC. And, there's no one who cares if officer die daily.
Pros
Lots of earned leave time if you can take it.
Cons
Long work days and long work weeks. Impossible to get off.
Attention to detail and security is a must.
Administrative Support Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALOctober 1, 2017
This job is a prison environment where attention to detail and security is paramount. There is job security however you must be aware of the fact that you are working with criminals. Because there are more inmates than officers attention to details and your surroundings is paramount. One must be confident and detail-oriented to work in this environment.
Pros
Good health benefits and job security.
Cons
Poor wages and inadequate number of employees.
Alabama Department of Corrections
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALSeptember 29, 2017
Worked for 25 + years for this department. Worked 8,10 and 12 hour shifts. Worked day, evening and night shifts. Performed many tasks in my career. Was a Correctional officer, Community work squad officer, Correctional Sergeant and Correctional Lieutenant.
My career afforded me many opportunities to be surrounded by professional people. This included officers, support personnel,contract personnel, Captains and Wardens.
The most difficult part of my job was having to complete daily tasks short handed of personnel. The most rewarding was to see fellow officers being promoted to management positions.
Stressful Job in Need of complete overhaul
Job Placement Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Alexander City, ALSeptember 28, 2017
Alabama Department of Corrections was a wonderful place to work once upon a time. But now it seems the management has become corrupt from top to bottom. Outside of the benefits you are constantly faced with an immense amount of stress not cause by the inmates. Officers actually bring in more drugs than the convicts and are unethical. Hiring process has become laughable and they are willing to hire anyone with a heartbeat regardless of their background. Only requirement is that you have a high school education and no felonies. Corrupt and cut throat are only the tip of the iceberg. Only positive thing about this job is the benefits, but you're going to need good health insurance to compensate the stress factors that are involved.
Good but not Great!
Correctional Officer I (Former Employee) –  Clayton, ALSeptember 25, 2017
Dealing with the inmates could be stressful at times.
Great chance for advancement.
Some supervisors were good others not so much as they were micromanagers.
Benefits
Cons
Hours worked, stress!
A stressful job with a great deal of responsibility.
Correctional Officer I (Current Employee) –  Capshaw, ALSeptember 13, 2017
I would check out inmates every morning and be assigned a task by a supervisor. I would then assemble tools and arrange for transportation to the assigned work area. Once there I would assign specific tasks to inmates and insure they had the proper tools to complete the task and knew how to operate the tools safely. I would continue to supervise and instruct the inmates to the standards they should accomplish for the rest of the day. And at all times maintain a accurate count of the inmates to insure there were no escapes. At the end of the work day I would check the inmates back into the institution and conducts searches of the inmates to insure no contraband is smuggled into the institution.
I have learned patience and how to communicate with all types of individuals with many different backgrounds.
I enjoyed my co-workers and the team type environment.
The hardest part of my job was to see an inmate who had no intention of leaving behind a life of crime, especially a young man with his whole life ahead of him.
The most enjoyable part of my job was to take an inmate who had never held a job before and teach them what it meant to have a job. The responsibility of using equipment, how to take care of it, maintain it. Teach them to set standards for themselves and put forth effort to accomplish goals set for them.
Pros
Able to help inmates by teaching work skills.
Cons
Stressful keeping an eye on so many inmates operating equipment and insuring no one escapes.
Starting pay too low for some positions
Personnel Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALAugust 20, 2017
This department's woes start at the helm. Leadership is very poor and unable to bring in good people due to their reputation. There are people holding upper management positions that do not have a clue about what they are doing. There's no teamwork just a ton of "pointing fingers".
Pros
an income
Cons
Poor leadership
Great rewarding place to work.
Correctional Warden III (Current Employee) –  St. Clair Correctional FacilityJuly 28, 2017
The Alabama Department of Corrections is a great work experience. Working in Corrections is not for everyone. It is fast paced and many things are going on around you each and everyday. The job is getting individuals to do what you want them to do when they do not want to do it. It is the only job that you will have that from your first day on the job, you are a supervisor. You supervise the entire inmate population from your first day.
I came to work for the Department of Corrections right after my graduation from College. I grew up and matured with the Department. It taught me many valuable life lessons.
The Training you receive from the Corrections Academy gives you a great conceptual framework for the job. Then you go into the Facility and put practical application to these concepts.
You have to be situationally aware of where you are everyday, follow your training, and follow the regulations and standard operating procedures and you will do fine.
You have to have effective interpersonal skills.
You have to be an effective communicator.
You have to be able to make quick decisions.
You learn that effective team building is key.
Working in Corrections makes you a master at crisis intervention.
Pros
Great pay. Good benefits. Work with a great team.
Cons
Need more help.
Working inside a prison
Corrections Officer (Current Employee) –  Elmore, ALJuly 28, 2017
This is a good job to get if you don't plan on staying long. Working conditions are horrible. The bad thing is the inmates aren't even the problem, the supervisors are. You are outnumbers 100:1 100% of the time and instead of working with the officers the supervisors want you to worry about small things like shoe placement on the beds and clotheslines. could be a great job if we were paid better and had much needed backup.
Pros
All the overtime you can ever want.
Cons
Mandatory overtime, overbearing supervisors that have no clue how to run the inside of a prison
Unsafe with horrible wardens
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Clio, ALJuly 12, 2017
I had 18 years with the DOC when I resigned. It used to be a decent place to work. We have not had a raise in 9 years. The hours and horrible management finally made me call it quits. Go to school or into the military before considering this horrible, thankless job.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
poor leadership and unsafe work enviroment
Horrible place to work, very short staffed.
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Springville, ALJuly 4, 2017
Good state benefits. The facilty where I worked was very short staffed. Made a very dangerous place to work. Supervisors are not always the best either. Would not recommend anyone to work there.
rewarding job with good benefits, good working hours.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Limestone County, ALJune 21, 2017
Can be a rewarding work place, I worked at limestone correctional for 4 years in the maintenance department. The work hours were great and the ability to help influence inmates were rewarding.
Pros
work hours were great for maintenance worker's
Cons
environment
Structured Environment for Prisoners
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Springville, ALMay 30, 2017
Maintain security within the institution and oversee the health and safety of staff and prisoners. Physically patrol and visually inspect units, yards, buildings, prisoners, prisoner property, and clothing to ensure welfare, safety and security.
Productive, Energizing Employer
Administrative Support Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Clio, ALApril 27, 2017
Stable, easy time management for life planning, the work is consistent and routine allowing for effective time management and satisfying any other life goals.
Pros
Consistent
prison
Corrections Officer (Current Employee) –  Elmore, ALApril 15, 2017
its a prison, don't do it. the hours are long and you don't get weekends off. You also have to remember who you are working with. So you are going to bring that home.
Pros
money
Cons
short breaks, long hours
Great Benefits, Little Pay for a dangerous job
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Ashville, ALJanuary 17, 2017
Great company, great management. Loved the schedule, just wanted to get out due to the danger of the inmates for such little pay. Its a negative work environment because of the inmates, I am a high spirited, happy individual and didn't enjoy the negative atmosphere.