Alacare Home Health & Hospice Employee Reviews

Poor pay and bad management
Hospice RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALJune 26, 2018
The pay is terrible compared to other home health and hospice companies. The management doesn't care at all about employees, all they care about are numbers on a screen. They never have enough nurses, but want to admit as many people as possible to make money. Pt care is poor since they try to make each nurse case manage 20 or more people on hospice, so you also work long hours and take lots of call. They also don't want to pay you for the miles you drive. If you value your sanity I would look somewhere else.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Everything else
Alacare
Outcome Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, AL 35244June 24, 2018
Didn't enjoy working here very much. Benefits were excellent though. Pay was okay. Management was shady. No one really seemed to care about the employees.
Loved my patients, Poor management and communication
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Gadsden, ALApril 20, 2018
Patient load were sometimes too much
Mangers in office were hard to communicate with.
Nurses were great.
Hardest part of the job was losing patients
Loved being able to go into patients homes and interact.
Pros
Wonderful patients
Cons
Poor Management and Communication skills
money is the bottom line
Registered Nurse Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Dothan, AL 36301March 18, 2018
You must be willing to be in a click to fit in and have opportunities for advancement. Corporate is only worried about their bottom line. Injuries on the job are not allowed, even thought the company does not show any interest in your safety.
Pros
Visiting staff is great
Cons
management leaves much to be desired
Productive and fun palce
Home Health/Hospice RN-7 on/7 off (Current Employee) –  Pell City, ALMarch 2, 2018
It's a wonderful place to work.I would recommend working there.It's a place where you can grow and advance in your career.The owners are great and caring.
Fast paced and high patient acuity but great work environment!
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 18, 2018
Alacare is an overall great place to work. Often times you meet individuals with unreasonable expectations. No matter what job you apply for and for what company, the common denominator is work. You must first be willing to work to be successful, mediocrity will get you nowhere. Alacare Hoover is not perfect but what job is . But I can tell you There are great hard working people who work there from office staff, field staff to management . It is a family oriented environment with very helpful hearts and hands. The mix of people currently is really good and everyone tries very hard to make day to day operations successful. There is flexibility once you learn your job. I really love what I do and taking care of patients and families is the real reason I am there.
Pros
A company with family in mind, great benefits!
Cons
People who apply to work that really don't want to work .
na
Full time RN Case Manager for home health/hospice (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 15, 2018
not consistent with expectations from employees, with charting average 15-16 hours a day and only paid for 12, unable to get the right medical supplies for your patients which was embarrassing as a nurse.
Typical Day
RN, Case Manager (Current Employee) –  AlabamaDecember 3, 2017
start off seeing patients at 8am and see 6 to 8 patients daily depending on patient acuity level, you make your own weekly schedule and you off load patients for an LPN to see each week, RN supervises LPN and bath aides, overall I enjoy my job and my patients, as far as anything negative I would have to say you spend alot of time documenting in the patient home and once you get home in the evening, there is not a good balance between time spent working and family time, only other negative is no company paid holiday pay meaning if you don't have a earned PDO day available on Christmas day, you are working that day
Pros
making your own schedule
Cons
no company paid holiday pay and work/ family time is not balanced
great benefits
Hospice Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 7, 2017
overall not a bad place to work management can benefit from training courses on how to effectively talk to employees and interact with there department.
Progressive
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, ALOctober 25, 2017
Manager was top shelf. Supervisor was not. Nice place to work. Staff was helpful. Need more mentoring. Owners are well informed and very willing to educate staff.
Pros
First Class organization
Cons
Turnover-
Rn
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 19, 2017
Great place to work as a healthcare provider. Good education for staff and team worker. Workplace culture was all ways on team building. I enjoyed by job
Not a good company
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALOctober 6, 2017
Just not a good company overall. Their PTO system is awful: in order to take one 8 hour day off, you must have 40 hours of PTO banked, plus the 8 to take your one day. Charting is tedious, and it seems you never get done. You're notified of mandatory meetings usually with only a day's notice. You're still expected to see your quota of patients, regardless of acuity, even with a 4 hour meeting (which happens regularly). Patients are just a number.
Cons
Don't care about employees; quotas
Would be a better place to work with some minor changes.
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALJune 5, 2017
I think this agency has solid values, great benefits, great employee recognition, and definite job security as an RN. The problem in my eyes is the lack of understanding the high acuity of patients and the point system that does not take acuity into consideration. The documentation is cumbersome and there doesn't appear to be anyone willing to listen to field staff concerns to try to fix the problem with too much documentation. I have had a couple of different managers. Alacare does get rid of managers that treat people poorly. The orientation and training to the job is very good. Just wished we all had mentors at our branches to help new nurses. I have worked in a branch without a mentor and one with a mentor. Having a mentor makes a huge difference. The worst part is long hours because of the productivity expectations and the charting system. What I enjoy most is taking care of people in their home and helping them get better.
Pros
Using my nursing skills and being independent.
Cons
Charting system, long hours, no time for my family.
family owned
Palliative Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALMay 5, 2017
Great Place to work, however the communication needs improvement. Company Cars are also a plus. Oncall is part of the job, which some have a problem with.
Pros
company car
Cons
not enough communication
Excellent place of employement
RN Clinical Mentor/CWOCN (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, ALApril 30, 2017
Alacare is a wonderful place of employment which fosters the growth and advancement of the employees. Patient care is of paramount focus in this home health and hospice organization.
Pros
Great work environment, excellent patient care
Cons
On call duties can be taxing on one's home life
Was great at keeping us educated and updated.Worked together
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ashville, ALFebruary 19, 2017
I had a good experience with Alacare met a lot of great patients,offered a lot of things for the pts.Flexability,Learned to do a lot of things on my on in the field
Pros
Supportive, caring, education inportant
Cons
sad situations sometimes
Rewarding career
Care transition coordinator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 29, 2017
Alacare is an excellent company with strong ethical values where patient care is #1. I have been with Alacare for 10 years in which I have grown personally and professionally. Being able to work with patients and their families who may be needing home health or hospice care is a blessing.
Pros
Continued education, great benefits and compensation
Great professional environment
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 4, 2017
Great company to work for.
Great communication within local office and corporate.
Training is provided to ensure employees are successful in their job.
Avoid the Mobile office at all cost
HIM Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALAugust 26, 2016
The office manager has a habit of passing off his work to others. If you're not part of the office clique your job is not secure. The corporate office will always back the unethical action of this particular office manger.
Pros
Cons
No breaks
Great opportunity!
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 30, 2016
Alacare is a wonderful family-owned company that listens to employees and provides great benefits. The compensation is very good. The Hoover branch is a great place to work. Many opportunities to advance your career. The new managers and directors work very hard to ensure both patient and employee satisfaction. All my co workers are available to help and are go out of their way to make sure our patients are cared for. Home health is a very difficult and demanding job--but so rewarding. I highly recommend employment with this company.
Pros
Flexible schedules, great compensation, great administrators
Cons
Stressful (as any nursing job)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alacare Home Health & Hospice. Our community is ready to answer.

Alacare Home Health & Hospice Reviews by Location