Alamance Community College Employee Reviews

ACC has lost its heart
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Graham, NC 27253September 17, 2019
While attending as a student ACC staff were all friendly and helpful. People really seemed to care about each other and work as a team. When I went back as a employee it seemed to have lost its heart. More so of a dog eat dog world now. In my department discrimination runs rampant for the woman. Beware!
Pros
Some nice people still there.
Cons
They really don’t care about employees. You are a warm body to fill a position. That’s all.
The culture has changed
Instructor, Adult High School & ESL (Former Employee) –  Graham, NCAugust 15, 2019
At the beginning, administration was student and employee driven. Everyone was valued and worked together to make things better for students. That has changed. It seems that the heart of the place has gone
Pros
Passionate instructors
Cons
Poor administration
Great place to work part time while being a student.
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Graham, NCJune 10, 2019
Typing the tests and other paper was the best part of my job. Copying and compiling tests were an important part of my day. I learned to appreciate what a teacher goes in a day of school. Procuring school supplies for the teachers. Logging in grades.
Pros
Working for nice people.
Cons
No benefits.
Optimistic Workplace
Adjunct Professor, Humanities/Social Sciences (Former Employee) –  Graham, NCJune 6, 2019
A typical day at work at ACC was relaxed and enjoyable. Since it was the first college I work for, I learned the essentials for successfully educating college-level students. Management was standard/good, however, the president of the college was kind of "eccentric."
Suportive and engaging work environment
Work Study (Former Employee) –  English Dept.May 15, 2019
Supportive staff and great continuing education opportunities. Students and instructors were a pleasure to work with. Lots of cross curricular team work for an integrated learning and teaching environment.
Pros
Access to
Learning Experience
Veteran Services Coordinator Assistant (Current Employee) –  Graham, NCMay 14, 2019
I have learned a lot of job skills that pertained to my degree, as well as built confidence in myself. I have learned oral communication, gained experience in working with a diverse group of people, typical office duties, and I also learned to advocate for myself and others.
Pros
Gained Experience
Cons
No benefits
Nice place to work
Security Officer (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Graham, NCMay 10, 2019
I enjoyed working here since it was always pretty relaxed. I enjoyed the people I worked with and meeting new people at the college every day. I loved getting to know everyone and overall it was a fun job.
productive
I work for head of the English (Current Employee) –  Graham, NC 27253March 14, 2019
works in line with my school schedule, easy hours. nice employer.

paperwork and computer work.

school scheduling for each semester

nothing hard about it
Pros
simple
Fair
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Graham, NCFebruary 2, 2019
Instructors are outdated. I believe that in order to be an effective clinical instructor you must be able to work inn an inpatient setting. Many have not in over 30 years
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Graham, NCJanuary 30, 2019
When working with adult learners there has to be respect. You have t o set your students up for success and not failure. I truly believe we have to meet the students where they are in the learning process
Typical Community College Atmosphere
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Graham, NCJanuary 28, 2019
Alamance Community College is a great place to work as a college student who wants some real world experience. It is a place to grow from, but also appreciate.
I was a student, not an employee at this place
CMA STUDENT (Former Employee) –  Graham, NCOctober 25, 2018
You can get your degree at this place if you apply yourself. Once you have completed your program, you may or may not get a job. Don't expect too much help for job placement. If you act out, you may get black listed by your instructor. So, keep your nose clean.
Alright
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hawriver, NCOctober 8, 2018
It was a good job with good people. Everyone there always had a smiling face, never was rude, and never complained about helping others out. I would recommend working at ACC for anyone who loves a fast paced environment.
Very rewarding culture
Adjunct Instructor Business Department (Current Employee) –  Burlington, NCOctober 2, 2018
Opportunity to influence life's. Work with students who want to learn and grow. Leadership is very supportive and is flexible. Leadership is fun and always open to suggestions.
Office Assistant
Receptionist/Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Graham, NCSeptember 30, 2018
I was working as a work study student. I got to meet different people and help them with their needs. I made appointments for student to come in to get their HS Diploma or GED.
Pros
Helping people reach their goal
Cons
I was a work study student so I could not stay.
Not bad
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Haw River, NCSeptember 5, 2018
Its a good place as community colleges go. Went out of my way to help instruct when asked, but when I couldn't meet all their needs due to my full time job, they cut me loose to find someone else. Not impressive
Review of ACC
Adjunct Humanities Instructor (Former Employee) –  Graham, NCAugust 27, 2018
A typical day at work was relaxed yet busy. I learned to manage groups of students. Management was great. Workplace culture was cooperative and inclusive. The hardest part of the job was grading. The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching and seeing students learn and think critically.
Ufair treatment at the completion of my assignment
Psychology Instructor (Former Employee) –  Haw River, NCJune 12, 2018
I enjoyed working with my peers, however I do not feel I was treated fairly on my completion of assignment. I was going through a tumultuous divorce, and both of my parents were sick, who I had to take care of and I needed to work extra, due to just being part time. I problems with getting to class on time to finish the semester. I even wrecked my car one morning.

After all of this and with a good work history for two years prior, I was not ask to come back given my family issues had been resolved and the director/supervisor seemed to care less.

Also, the overall culture at the community college was not very amenable for students of color. There were not very many faculty or staff that represented the student body-even though the president is African American.
Pros
good students
Cons
culture and management
discrimination/failure to consult with instructor before demanding reinstatement of student dropped
Adjunct Instructor of English (Current Employee) –  Graham, NCJune 1, 2018
The Dean of Arts and Sciences was very hard on me! I fear she instructed my supervisor to stop using me as an adjunct because I made the mistake of pointing out to her that the student I had just dropped for excessive absences had only completed one writing assignment. She didn't feel it was my place to point out this information, in front of the student's parent when she pulled me out of class to demand reinstatement of the student.
Pros
seemingly supportive Department Head (English)
Cons
Never enough teaching hours to make a living
No integrity, No advancement, No future.
Public Safety Supervisor/Sergeant/Officer (Current Employee) –  Graham, NCMay 22, 2018
The only way to succeed here is to lose integrity and morals. Betray every confidence, and fake sincerity. If you want to get paid for barely doing anything then join us. Absolutely no appreciation for loyalty, intelligence, integrity, morals, or work ethic. Inconsistent policy/procedure enforcement on many levels and to many differing degrees.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Stress, No advancement opportunities, lack of integrity, morals, honor, or sincerity.