Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District

Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District Employee Reviews

United States9 reviews
Great place to work, wish i would have stayed longer, family structure through out the company, the elders are very helpful in educating the new bus operators.
AC Transit has thrown its drivers under the bus during the COVID-19 pandemic. They offer no support, they are not effectively cleaning the buses, they are suppressing the true number of infections, and they are lying to the public about their safety protocols.

Management is flat-out useless other than for writing people up for no good reason. And they showed their true colors when they held off on contract negotiations and allowed our contract to expire, until the pandemic started and they used it as an excuse to reject our proposals.

I feel a sense of pride serving my community and getting people where they need to go safely. But management really should be in jail for their failure to the community and its employees.
Pros
decent pay, decent benefits
Cons
unsafe buses, exposure to viruses, no more pension for new-hires
The culture has become very different to when I began at this company. Every negative stereotype about the bureaucracy and ineffectiveness of a governmental organization is in play here. Directive is given based on padding board members' and executives' accomplishments rather than doing good work that benefits riders and the community. Departments have become increasingly siloed and competitive. And, there is no career path for most of the rank-and-file employees. What once was a good place to work has become golden handcuffs for those that are just sticking around for the benefits.
Pros
Benefits are excellent
Cons
Poor management; no career path
It’s a great place to start a career off as a bus driver it’s a rewarding experience as well as career and the benefits are amazing for a driving career
Pros
Late nights when you start
Cons
Excellent benefits
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Unfortunately any professional work is limited by the inept politicians who meddle everywhere in District business and make it impossible to demand excellence and accountability.
When I first started it was challenging, we were put on a 45 foot bus second day of driving, it was a good thing as i look back, we had no time for fear, we had to be confident on what we where embarking upon. Pay was horrible 7.50 hour for 6 weeks having to small children it was a challenge.Very diverse work place meeting every type of human possible. My glass started out with about 20 people and we lost about 5 before it was over. The best part for me was connecting with the classmates as we would meet monthly after training to catch up as we split to different cities for our assignments. I to this day have one friend that we still are in contact i consider her my mom. I enjoyed learning how to become a professional transit operator and conquering my fear of driving 60 foot buses across bay bridge.
Pros
Paid for work
Cons
lack of humanity by management
Need to update the salary for bus operators and mechanics maintenance personal also training for supervisor need to be improve over all company doing a lot better
It has great benefit package and employee friendly and good health insurance benefit. Shift changes are easy to change
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Lack of restroom facilities
people are generally nice and willing to help.
Most people are very laid back at work, after all it's a public agency.

Very diverse population.

Good location right in Oakland downtown.