Alameda County, CA Employee Reviews

Productive and thriving workplace
Secretary I/II (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 16, 2018
Many fund memories of good, educated, and caring managers and staff at Alameda County. No matter which department a new hire lands in, they will be given an opportunity to learn their job functions well, build their resume by growing in all other areas in the department with supportive supervisors and co-workers.
Pros
Decent wages, great benefits and high morale
Cons
Difficult exam process
Good place to work. Short or long term.
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  San leandroNovember 26, 2018
Good place to work.
Great benefits, retirement & medical.
Terrible boss. Depending on department no teamwork. Some put staff against staff
Supervisors don't check the work that has been done or not.
Pros
Some staff are nice and helpful.
Cons
no teamwork. SENIORITY MEANS NOTHING.
Good Place
Eligibility Support Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 11, 2018
Alameda County is a great place to work. You just really have to choose the right kind of position to advance in. They have great benefits but if you don't choose the right position you could get stuck.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Room for advancement isn't always available.
Very competitive and rewarding job
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 2, 2018
Very competitive and rewarding job. Offer challenging roles and provide career growth. Trainings are provided in a very satisfying manner. Pays are high and very reasonable.
Management needs Improvement
Account Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 23, 2018
The management at Alameda County is very challenged. Management doesn't communicate with non management. Can be very stressful. Many - not all of the employees walk around very sad.
A class in business acumen would not be a bad idea.
Pros
I met some great people
Cons
Terrible management
Typical government agency
Auditor Associate I - Clerk Recorders Office (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 10, 2018
Mundane work, learned to listen to podcasts while working, senior management was excellent, middle management was far from impressive. When management tells new employees "don't try and change anything" on their first day, not a positive start.
Great pension benefits
Applications Systems Engineer III (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 15, 2018
Pretty typical work environment - meetings, politics, plusses and minuses. Most of the people are fun and great to work with but of course there are exceptions. The pension is awesome if you can stick it out long enough. I'm impressed by the County's efforts to stay leading-edge current, even with government budget limits.
Had a great time while working in the TAp program
Floor Specialist/Custodian (Former Employee) –  Dublin, CAOctober 10, 2018
The job was well paced .I enjoyed the work and upper management isn’t to hard on just enough for you to get the job done .Every thing was extremely fair
Pros
Relaxed Overseeing
Cons
Na
Stressful
Dispatcher/Specialist clerk1 (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJuly 19, 2018
interacting with prisoners, learned law enforcement skills and some clerical. The culture was not inviting, the hardest part of the job was being isolated from the public and locked in with inmates the entire shift. The most enjoyable part was the experience and knowledge acquired.
Pros
Being trained to protect yourself
Cons
Being scared of what might happen next
Productive.
Head Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CANovember 1, 2018
I learned a lot from the years with this company and I really appreciate the freedom that was given, also the confidence in me to do the job right. If I could ever have another job like this, where I can be creative freely I'd most likely stay as long as I can like I did there.
Pros
Location at the time.
Cons
Weather some days.
very fast paced in this department for registrar of Voters
Clerk Intermittent (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 31, 2018
Showing clients how to use the new voting machines
how to communicate with people who speak other languages
Very fast paced especially during elections
staying up on election night
Seeing my community come out to cast there vote
Pros
overtime
Cons
hours when it is the night of election
Class room instructor assistant
Admin Support - Registrar of Voters (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 28, 2018
I am the class room instructor assistant. Responsible for ensuring the class room is set up properly and help with hand on part of the training. I set up the class room and ensure all supplies needed is available for providing excellent service/
Pros
Reliable work
fast paced environment
Registrar of Voters Department - Clerk 1 (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 13, 2018
It was the best job for a fast understanding on how to file and count votes. We worked long hours because the election was taking place. we finished faster thean expected.
Fast paced work, long hours
Admin Support 1 (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 14, 2018
If you know someone at the alameda county agency or insider, you're treated well if not they looked down at you, you are just a second class citizen. Management doesn't communicate very well.
Fun place to work
Registrar Vote Office (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CASeptember 28, 2018
Fun place to work and my co workers were nice and corporative. My supervisor was very nice and easy to work with. The task were easy to complete. And the pay is okay.
Too many meetings, no appreciation, does not give what is promised
Manager (Current Employee) –  OaklandJuly 9, 2013
After having worked at my position at the BHCS network office for only 9 months it has felt like 9 years. There are multiple meetings, even at lunch, no time for breaks, unrealistic expectations, and a lot a solid matriarchy where men's voices are not listened to at all. If this sounds great to you, then please feel free to join the team. This is supposed to be behavioral health, but it is the last thing they think about. I tried finding another job after only being here for 2 months. That is how bad it is. Alameda County has better places to work, for God's sakes, don't work here!
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
no breaks and hardly any lunches, long hours, constant stress, antiquated technology, horrible culture, highly regimented matriarchy.
Fun to work with the County
GSA Janitor (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAAugust 27, 2018
Well the County of Alameda was an OK place to work. The work was lite and easy. I would recommend it to anyone getting their first job. The retirement I heard is good.
Pros
Freedom
fun workplace
Treasurer - Tax Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 26, 2017
great place to work. good learning experience, pay, and benefits. Co-workers are very knowledgeable and willing to help. Excellent team that enjoys working together
good
IHSS Alameda County, CA (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 14, 2018
They offer training, and it is a multicultural environment.
I learned about wound care, better hygiene for clients, how to clean and care for clients, and lots of training.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
long hours some times
interesting work, great opportunity to learn about county government
Program Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CASeptember 30, 2016
Pro - interesting work, great opportunity to learn about county government, staff are very responsible and great stewards for using county funds, great benefits for permanent employees.

Con - difficult and long process for the on-boarding a recruitment process for permanent work within the county.
Pros
Cons
difficult and long process for the on-boarding recruitment process