Alameda Health System Employee Reviews

Productive clinical teams
Compliance Officer and Medical Social Worker II (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 7, 2018
Although a typical workday at AHS is fast-paced and the workplace environment is evolutionary and changing and requires flexibility; the diverse workplace culture and staff, collaborative community involvements and generated patient satisfaction makes working at AHS rewarding
Pros
Great healthcare and cafeteria benefits
Cons
Increase cohesiveness between management and staff
Above average!
Emergency Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 17, 2018
After working here for many years I can conclusively state, it's the best place I've ever worked. It's an amazing family here with BY FAR the most interesting clientel in terms of both personality and pathophysiology.

The rub is management. They won't/don't support you. The nurse next to you will, your boss won't. So dont' count on it. Pay is lower than private hospitals but competitive. If you can deal with all that, you'll love it here.
Pros
Autonomy!
Cons
Can't trust your boss.
Love this company
Account Representative, CPC (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CADecember 2, 2018
I would recommend this company to anyone that wants to start there career in billing, it will help jump start their career, management is great here and
Lack of leadership, poor communication
Nurse Manager, Highland Hospital (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 7, 2018
Join the new epic ehr team only if you are desperately looking for a job. The epic ehr program director lacks clinical and operational knowledge, no epic experience, zero people management skills, poor communication skills, but full of attitude and will always belittle you. On top of that very low pay and lots of uncertainty. The only positive side is good health benefits and generous personal time off policy.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Uncertainty, poor/no leadership
lots of unfair treatment against men of color.
Supervisor of Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CANovember 29, 2018
At this time it has become a very racist place to work its predominantly people of color,but most of the labor analyts are Caucasian and not from the surrounding cities.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
terrible managers, etc
Stay Away
Sr. Revenue Integrity Analyst - EBEW (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJune 5, 2018
This organization takes dysfunction to another level. Management changes and there is a lack of training. Benefits are excellent but salary levels are horrible.
Progressive career opportunities
Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 18, 2018
Progressive career opportunities. Level 1 trama center. Great place to work. Mission driven organization that serves the diverse community of Alameda County.
great place to work
Administrative Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 30, 2018
AHS is one of the fastest growing system based organizations in the bay area, its fast paced multi inclusional environment provides something special for people from all over the world.
Pros
located in the heart of oakland
Cons
pay rates arent competitive with surrounding hospitals
Great company
Billing Tech II/Cash Posting Specialist II (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAAugust 6, 2018
I loved my job at Alameda Health System. The people I worked with were great and willing to help each other when needed. Our manager and supervisor were awesome. They were always available for any questions and concerns.
Pros
Salary
It sucks
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CAAugust 7, 2018
To many messy people including management to much back biting, talking about people and telling on each other. If your friends with management your in if not the stay on you. People fighting
Cons
Very great place to work and grow
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 31, 2018
Alameda Health Systems is a great company to work for and to grow. I learned to work as a team and how to make decisions in tough situations. The culture is very diverse. The most enjoyable part of the job is the patients, talking and communicating with them.
Poor Management
IS Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAMarch 6, 2018
Worked in the IS department. There was a leadership change and the new EHR program director has no knowledge of Epic or clinical applications and was very hard to work with, so decided to quit.
Pros
good health benefits
Cons
poor management
good luck with this one
Billing Technician II (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAFebruary 27, 2018
lack of leadership, and training tools. Usually nothing but a bunch negativity from the supervisor. it was nice to be able to listen to music on our smartphones while we work. But, I still don't understand why the supervisor complained about me listening to sports podcast with my headphones on. I wasn't disturbing anyone, and if music isn't distracting us from working, sports talk radio shouldn't either.
Pros
benefits, and free shuttle rides to/from the BART
Stressful, lack of resources
Registered Nurse/Intensive Care Unit (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 20, 2018
You learn a lot caring for the underserved community that arrive very sick. The people that work there want to be there. Patients receive excellent care. Wish the salary was more competitive.
Stressful workplace
Activities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAOctober 23, 2018
I work as an activity coord in sub-acute. If you aren't a nurse, you're SOL. They are very cliquey and rude. I do the same thing every day. My supervisor is more concerned to be friends with nurses rather than help other workers.
Pros
Health insurance is free
Cons
Supervisor isn't very helpful
lack of leadership and poor management skills for the program I am working
Masters Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 14, 2018
Poor management skills. Person does not understand the program under management; therefore, making poor decisions affecting patients quality of care and service.
Horrific Management
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CASeptember 19, 2017
Management here is horrible. How they have become managers is beyond me, many of them take advantage of working away from their own managers so you hardly ever see them there is a lot of them "working from home" and away from their staff. Very little job intelligence. Expect to do things outside of your job duties and for your manager to take credit.

Feedback from employees is not welcomed and instead you'll be viewed as a problem when you bring to light that many employees are not interested in doing their job. Culture is more like dealing with children, having to constantly babysit. AHS went through a name change two years ago yet many internal documents that employees are expected to use still have the old name, that's how little care there is here. Lots of turnover from the top all the way to the bottom except for those just waiting to ride out their retirement pension.
Pros
Not enough
Cons
Disorganized and poor management, systemwide dysfunction
Alameda Health
Dietary Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 29, 2018
Part time only 8-20hours weelky.. No benefits and hours are very low. No career advancements and because this is a union position, advancement in other fields are highly unlikely.
Fun place to work with a great team
Care Management Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 30, 2018
Though the job was hard or stressful on some days, it helped to have worked with a great team and we all had each others back. The hardest thing bout the job was making calls on behalf our patients to make sure their stay was insured. Most enjoyable to me was to see my team because we all made the day into a good one no matter what and it was due to our manager who backed us up and was a good listener.
Pros
great team, free lunches, good pay, ability to learn alot
Cons
no benefits
department
Account Clerk I (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 27, 2018
there is no advancement within the alameda Health system. its who you know not what you know. other contractors come in and implement there policy not the hospital policy and procedures.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alameda Health System. Our community is ready to answer.