Alamo Colleges Employee Reviews

Great place to work if you're settling on your career
Computer Support Technician (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 10, 2018
The people are great, campus is lovely, pay is decent. Typical days are slow, with the occasional calls and regular password resets. Management is friendly and understanding. They try to work with you the best they can. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with current Operating Procedures. Sometimes the memo isn't passed well enough and someone makes a mistake without knowing.
Supervisor was not very organized and helpful in providing information to make calls.
Administrative Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Live Oak, TXJuly 4, 2018
Typical day at work was calling college students who had GPA of at least 2.5 or higher to encourage them to apply for free $2500 scholarships for nursing department.

The scholarship could be used for any purpose to assist them in their
Review for Alamo Colleges
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TxJune 25, 2018
Position and work is good. Management could give more time in completing work within time or hire more help to complete task. Very quiet and easy to work atmosphere.
Alamo Colleges: Memorial Early College High School
Pre-AP Chemistry and Physics Teacher (Former Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXMay 6, 2018
Our high school was early college, STEM and project-based. Students graduated with 60+ college credit hours and an associates in liberal arts. I taught Pre-AP Chemistry (10th) and Physics (11th). Instructed many lab experiments as well as projects and was a mentor for the Robotics Club. I loved my students and co-workers and management. My instructional coach was amazing. If it wasn't for a family emergency I would have finished the year there and gained my Teaching Certification (since that was my probationary teaching certification year with Texas Teachers).

A typical day, in the morning, at work would include preparing my classroom, tutoring students, and making copies etc. I usually lectured some, had students take notes on a powerpoint I designed, followed by guided practice and other practice problems.

I met with the other physics teacher once a week to align lesson plans, met with instructional coach weekly, regularly designed and implemented projects including grading rubrics and timelines.

The hardest part of the job was all the papers that needed to be graded but that just comes with the territory, I love teaching and am good at it.

I especially enjoy teaching biology and chemistry but am qualified to teach any science.
Pros
Great co-workers and management.
Cons
Constantly having students do projects on top of regular work.
Worked to teach icu nurses information to pass CCRN exam
Instructor (part-time) (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 5, 2018
Poor turn out for classes. I enjoyed the course work and interacting with the nurses who attended. I would recommend Alamo Colleges to nurses wishing to pursue their degree in nursing. I would consider teaching future courses at the campus for nursing students.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
poor turn out
Enjoyable Place to work and learn
Adjunct Faculty (Mathematics) (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 24, 2018
Faculty and staff in the mathematics and engineering department are the best. I wish I could work here full time. They work as a group and foster a sense of belonging.
Cons
they mainly hire part time adjunct instructors.
Poor management and inconsiderate
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 23, 2018
They do not value your skills and they don’t pay you a fair wage. No benefits, less than 19 hours a week no matter what because they will not want to give you any benefits. Lot of favoritism from the management towards certain employees which made it an unfair environment to work.
horrible job
CALL CENTER AGENT (Former Employee) –  austin texasNovember 19, 2017
I only worked here for a month. With in this month i found so many complaints.Horrible service, The managers were unprofessional. The training was very long and didnt teach us what we needed to know on the call floor.
N/a
Adjunct/CE Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 31, 2017
I am an adjunct instructor. Not a regular full-time employee.
I enjoy teaching the CNA program and introducing the students to proper, evidenced-based patient-centered care.
too much favoritism
Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 19, 2017
No account to advance to qualified positions unless you are a favorite employee, which causes disappointment to growth opportunity and limited advancements.
Pros
college class discounts
Cons
Advances are limited to favorites
Good Flexible Job
Instructor (Current Employee) –  All LocationsSeptember 6, 2017
I've worked adjunct for years at different colleges. It's a great part time job when you don't want/need full time. Classes start at reasonable times.
Great Management
Administrative Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 14, 2017
Well organized and pleasant place to work. Friendly staff and faculty. Great benefits. Would recommend Alamo as a great place to work and go to school.
workplace
Associate Director, Alamo Colleges (Former Employee) –  Alamo collegesJune 26, 2017
Difficult to advance due to many people not leaving the college and staying until retirement.
Ability to prioritize my job and make my own decisions following rules and regs.
NO job security.
adjunct instructor
Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 25, 2017
Being an adjunct instructor is rarely a good profession for job security, and the same is true of Alamo colleges. If there isn't enough enrollment, you don't have a class to teach, and therefore, no income. My supervisor did not elect to tell me why she wasn't giving me a course to teach, but I was stuck without warning or a chance to look for other work in my field before the semester had already started.
That said, the workplace was nice, and fairly well appointed, except that the instructors' computers were sometimes old and outdated.
Pros
nice work atmosphere, decent facilities.
Excellent place to work
Early College Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 15, 2017
The District administrators are excellent and genuinely care about the growth and development of their employees. There are ample opportunities for advancement.
Relaxed atmosphere and great people
Student Secretary (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 20, 2017
I had a work study job and it was great for allowing me to take care of school while working and helping other students. All the professors that worked in that office were really nice and the people that walked in and out of the offices were unique
Great place to work and develop as a professional.
Police Corporal-Campus Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 19, 2017
Good work environment,great benefits and comparable compensation. Good supervisors and co-workers. Great place to develop as a professional. Many opportunities to advance in your education and licensing.
Pros
Benefits and schedule
Cons
Top heavy district level administration
Great environment and kind colleges
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Universal City, TXJanuary 16, 2017
I was surrounded by kind individuals who genuinely cared about my well being and did all they could to make working as a team possible. A typical day was filled with one being greeted and their well being asked about while ones work load being given to them with plenty of time for it to be performed. I always had something to be done but I was always being ask if I needed help performing my task which I always greatly appreciated.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
hour cuts
work experience
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 23, 2016
Had the honor to work with the best team there is at Alamo colleges, I have taught in several colleges and did off campus to local company employees.

Alamo colleges has a bright future in their dual credit program it is pursuing with SAISD providing the new generation with tools for the future.
Pros
awesome team
Cons
short breaks
Work Study Job - SLAC Lab at SAC
Registration Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 19, 2016
It was my first introduction to working in education, and I loved it as I worked there for 2 years while I was in the process of getting my associates degree. My managers were amazing and co-workers were great. Great work life balance and very helpful with school.