Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Employee Reviews

serving
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 14, 2019
I served Monday-Friday from opening to night shift by myself. i controlled 7 movies and was the only server there that had to run my food and clean the tables and still had to pay a percent to food runners when i had none there.
Great environment, nice coworkers
Cook (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXFebruary 10, 2019
The only reason I left my job at Alamo Drafthouse was because I'm not really a food service person. If that's something you like, you'll fit right in! There's lots of fun employee get together sort of things after closing, employee movie screenings, and I remember at least one nerf gun battle. The pay wasn't the best, but it was better than fast food. The kitchen was very clean and most stations had bluetooth speakers so you could listen to music as you worked. The rushes were HARD, though. Luckily there was usually enough time to recover in between rushes though, and there was plenty of time to get prep done before the rushes started. You work on your feet the whole time, which can be exhausting some days. The food is great, and you got a 30 minute break per shift for eating or resting in the break room.
It's not for everyone, but I don't regret working there at all.
Pros
Employee discounts, employee events, great environment and coworkers
Cons
Stressful rushes, lots of running around, always on your feet
See movies for free. 2 free drinks after shift.
Line Cook/ Trainer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 9, 2019
Started off as a great place to work, However kitchen management sucks and if your not a 'YES" man or woman you will be let go for the dumbest thing.

Oh and they offer two drinks after your shift. You definitely need them after standing on your feet all day without a break!!
Pros
Free movies and drinks after shift.
Cons
They do not give breaks
Fun
Cook (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COFebruary 8, 2019
I just remember all the smiles, fast paced, awesome set up cineplex. The managers were fun and knew the brand new store really well. The food was great and I was proud to work there.
Pros
free movie, tech
Overworked/ Underpaid
Server/Waiter (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 4, 2019
They over work you to the bone here. They drain you of every little bit of life left in you, and they don't give you paid time off, paid vacation time, and the money isn't consistent whatsoever. The hours are horrendous, and they don't care about your well being. All they care about is making a sale.
Fast Paced opportunities to move up
Assistant Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 30, 2019
The Alamo Drafthouse is a great place to work, I moved up in positions, I started in June 26th, within three weeks I had became a crew lead and by October I became an assistant kitchen manager. I have traveled with this job, I had learned different operating systems, scheduling, invoicing and also doing all of the orders for the whole building placing $17-$20k orders. It is great are their things that can be changed for the better 100%. The hardest part of the job is the organization, and the communication.The hardest part of the job was during the busy season and people quitting because it was " too much " because they had very bright future with the companies.
benefits
Not for everyone
Server/Runner (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 29, 2019
Alamo was a weird experience. I like movies but unless your entire life revolves around film you're going to hate it. Pay is fine and advancement is impressive. Management is lazy and there are a ton of food poisoning issues no one acknowledged. There aren't breaks unless you ask and when you do, you'll get a ton of attitude. They don't care about anything else you have going on so prepare for a ton of complaining if you have any life outside your minimum wage job at a movie theater. The free movies were cool but they'll act as if you're burdening them by getting in for free. Not recommended
Pros
Free movies
Cons
No breaks, poor management
Brooklyn is the exception
server (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 24, 2019
Loved the job, loved my coworkers. But as another employee said, you find out quickly who the favorites are. Management is looking for sycophants and the rest suffer. A constant atmosphere of paranoia because people will be let go for any reason if you're not part of the club. Apparently Brooklyn is one of the few Alamo locations like this, though.
Pros
Fun job, flexible hours
Cons
Untrustworthy management
Fun place
Server (Former Employee) –  PhoenixJanuary 20, 2019
Employees are fun people, work can be hard but rewarding. Schedule is hectic, but to be expected, as movie times do not come out until a week or two beforehand.
fun workplace
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 16, 2019
It was a fun workplace. I loved getting the chance to see free movies and get a discount on food. There is room for growth if you're willing to put in the time and effort. It is a good place to grow with and a fun job. It gets stressful during the big movies but it's still fun
Pros
fun, free movies
Cons
no benefits
Fun workspace and cool people
Server (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 8, 2019
Alamo Drafthouse Cinema was a awesome place to work it was perfect in all areas except for pay. I didn’t get paid enough for all the work i was doing.
Pros
Great job
Cons
Low pay
Productive and fun work place with friendly staff
Dish Washer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 8, 2019
The kitchen manager and all of the other managers were very friendly. Unfortunately on weekdays they only had one dish washer, so when I got in there it was very stressful to organize all of the dishes properly, and wash them while a lot of dishes from the dinner rush came in. Thankfully occasionally one or two kitchen team members helped me out when I was pretty stressed. I just felt pressured and had a huge time limit. When I was working on weekends or other busier days, there were a couple people in the dish pit so it was a lot nicer to work with that day. I also wish they would give me more hours at some points and made sure I had a longer break on week days.
Pros
Free drinks and half off food and alcohol
Cons
limited working hours, and low staff
Great place to work if it wasn’t for......
Shift Lead/ Server/ (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 6, 2019
Over all I loved working for alamo. I loved this job so much I spent more time here then I did with friends and family. With that being said it doesn’t matter how much time you give them if your not part of the special group your wasting your time. It’s not what you know it’s who you party with. I gave everything I had to this job and in the end it still wasn’t enough. You get cut from your health care if you don’t work enough hours. Mind you if you get cut called off that’s not your fault but you pay I’m the end. Holiday pay is only two days out the year Christmas and thanksgiving.but if you try and request it off it’s blocked off.
Pros
Free meals movies
Cons
Health care
Different kind of serving
Server (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 2, 2019
This is a great place to work especially if you love movies and the theater experience. The culture there and the people that work there are awesome. Great venue and location. The only think I will critique is the style of serving. I wasn't a big fan serving people in a movie theater. You have to be silent / as quiet as possible. People will write their orders on a piece of paper and stick it in front of them. It's not bad, just not for me. I like to get my personality across and maybe chat with the guest (if they want.)
Pros
Free movies
Cons
LOT of walking and stairs.
Great work environment
Server/Support/Concierge/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 1, 2019
It can be very relaxed some days and others it is pedal to the metal stress for hours straight with no breaks. Management team is always helping out staff
Pros
discounts, free movies
Cons
long shifts
Management sucked!
Box Office (Former Employee) –  Las Colinas, TXDecember 26, 2018
Management at the Las Colinas, Tx location was one of the worst I've ever worked for. Too many managers telling the box office staff what to do and when something went wrong not one of them took responsibility for it. Instead made it be the employees problem or fault. When employees expressed concerns about coverage and hours working alone, because they will schedule you all day without any breaks or coverage to go to the restroom, management didn't care and started talking down to the staff.

It's a good place to go see a movie but horrible to work for.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Everything else!
cares about you
Shift Lead / Trainer - Runner (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 26, 2018
Super awesome and different place to work. The mission is an easy one to follow and the team all work hard together. The bosses will work with you as much as they can to help you achieve a goal.
Fun Workploace
Concierge (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 24, 2018
Fun place to work.Good management, good coworkers, good environment overall. Job not too demanding. Great perks for a movie lover including free movie watching and drink and food discounts.
Pros
Free movies, discoun
Fun place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXDecember 18, 2018
The management had much to do with why I stayed so long at this temporary job. They created a fun work environment. Usually, it is extremely fast-paced, and there's never really a dull moment. The only big problem was the slow days. Since servers live on tips, this meant getting sent home after 2 hours or so with almost no money.
Pros
Theater atmosphere, cool coworkers
Cons
Breaks were short, hours ran really late
Ok
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, MNDecember 9, 2018
Good people to work with. Still need to work on creating better work hours for all people involved. Good food and fun atmosphere.Good training done. ok.