Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Concierge (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 16, 2018
i think Alamo does its best to take care of its employees, pay and benefit wise. Unfortunately the "guests" we serve can be terrible. We have specific policies but when employees try to enforce them, the managers don't always have your back, leaving you looking like the bad guy when you're just trying to do your job. At my venue they had favorites who would get special bonuses or promotions while others were fired at will.
Pros
free movies
The Best Employers in Cedar Park
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXAugust 11, 2018
The management staff working at Alamo Drafthouse Cinema located on Lakeline Blvd during the time that I was employed there had the most memorable personalities I have had in positions of authority in my life. Each individual followed and enforced the exact same rules but what made them unique is that as as each one followed the rules, I believe they were encouraged to embrace the rules as the individual understands them and guided towards a clearer understanding by their bosses when needed. It created a wonderful work environment and allowed a very maintainable balance between work and home life. Unfortunately the unpredictable hours into the morning made this job exhausting and difficult to maintain. In the end, I found out that I wasn't much of the kinda guy who could live life washing dishes until 4 in the morning.
it was okay
runner (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYAugust 11, 2018
working at the alamo as my first job was chaotic challenging and a learning experience it was difficult but definitely doable working here taught me hard work in a fast pace setting
Pros
free lunch free movies and discounts
Cons
drama management
Progressive and fun
Server (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 9, 2018
Fast paced enviorment everyone is a team and helps each other be successful. Demanding job which is work and a workout. Progressive company that is there for the staff and gives back community.
Pros
Free movies and lunches
Cons
Short breaks
Awesome place
Server, Bartender, Runner (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZAugust 8, 2018
Great place to work management awesome everything awesome loads of money to be made only during the busy season (holidays) I learned all my departments in 3 months and they were willing to train me elsewhere too
Decent Job, Long Hours and Rare Advancement.
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 7, 2018
Loved working at the Alamo Drafthouse for a while, but then my hours got longer and I was staying until 2 a.m. on a typical night. Being a student, this was not ideal.
When an employee sucks they get fired, when the manager sucks the employees quit.
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Las Colinas, TXAugust 6, 2018
My direct boss was both new to management and new to the company, and while many of the bartenders were willing to deal with the occasional mistake as they adjusted to the learning curve. The Senior managers did nothing to help, they only criticized him the mistakes that were made. There was no effort to make it up to the employees who got screwed over nor did they made any attempt to prevent it from happening again. Instead choosing to make it a learning moment and hope that he would learn from those mistakes. This hands off approach to management on a broad scale combined with an overbearing and total micromanaging approach to day to day operations made the job stressful beyond belief and not worth the messily salary i was payed there.
Pros
Good coworkers, enjoyable work, free movies
Cons
Low pay, high stress
Was better than most jobs.
Runner / Food Preparation (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 31, 2018
Very fast paced and physically demanding, but once you are settled and have worked a couple shifts the work gets easier. If you are not actively seeking advancement you will not greet promoted.
Bad Management
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 28, 2018
It is a very fast paced and demanding job but the managers don't even help or even know anything about the menu or how to make the food.Managers blamed everything on employees
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Bad management
Productive and fun
Floor Supervisor, Programmer (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COJuly 27, 2018
Productive and fun work environment. Fast passed. Great management team. Decent pay. Other than hitting the ceiling in terms of my job advancement, I would still be employed.
Low pay!
Runner/Server (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 26, 2018
I’ve worked at 2 different locations and both were awful! Alamo claims to be all chill and and laid back but my coworkers took themselves so seriously and were uptight. I felt like I would get in trouble for breathing wrong...it was like walking on eggshells constantly. Runners get paid on average $10.50/hr but they lie to everyone they hire and tell them $14. I was overworked and underpaid. I had bleeding toes one day and another day I nearly passed out from cleaning theaters back to back. Call outs were just a thing to get used to also.

Being a server wasn’t too good either. Tips were low compared to other movie theaters I’ve served at before. I was treated poorly after I changed my availability to no weekends (bc I have a Saturday dog sitting job and Sunday is my rest day) so I felt the tension all the time and it was uncomfortable. Gossiping like every other service industry job, everyone’s sleeping with each other, everyone’s hungover or drunk. It was just a complete mess and unprofessional.
Pros
Free shift meals, free movies if the movie is pretty empty
Cons
Lack of communication, low pay, long hours, short breaks, favoritism
avoid at all cost
Runner (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 26, 2018
It's like high school all over again, new hires get treated like trash, they make you do all the work, while everyone else relaxes in the break area, you won't get a brake for the first week they don't care about you at all!
Good people
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXJuly 24, 2018
Alamo is full of good people that I was happy to work with. The flexibility was good, however I felt they were poorly defined hours. And though sometimes the managers would take care of you, it felt like they could turn at the drop of a hat.
Pros
Free drinks, discounted food, free movies
Cons
Unstable hours
Mehhhhh
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 20, 2018
loved the job, hated how my body as well as the companies treatment of fellow employees went from completely understanding when making a mistake and forgiving to scolding and we need to fix this to push our bottom line up. Feels like it hit that atmosphere in 2012ish when my original GM left and was replaced. it just feels like all the managers were replaced from fun loving people who cared more about the employees then the guests (which i see employees as family i mean ffs your spending 50 hours a week with them and 2-3 hours with a "guest") to the old corporate the customer is always right, disguised with different wording as to ensure every guest has an awesome experience and is excited to come back. the original message is there along with key components, but the way the employees are treated has slowly deteriorated. partly because i feel as management sees employees as cogs on the wheel nowadays compared to being "guests" just my two cents
Pros
good job
Cons
it'll break your back, literally
Server/Team Leader
THEATRE SERVER/TEAM LEADER (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 18, 2018
My experience at the Draft house was a positive one. I worked a pleasant working environment and the management was stern but fair. The hardest part of the job was when we were short staffed and patrons were complaining that their food was not served before the film. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships with co-workers and employee showings of the new films.
Pros
employee showings of the new films.
Cons
short staffed and patrons were complaining
Fun working environment
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 18, 2018
From my perspective on work those companies it a good paying job and from my experience my boss sometime strict and expect me to do everything when I work.the team members work hard and thing go smooth
Pros
Free lunches 30 min break
Cons
Negativity environment
Productive and fun work place
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJuly 12, 2018
It is very nice love the staff hard workers got along with everyone enjoyed the free movies I got to watch and the half off discount for food lol great restaurant
Pros
Free movies
Cons
When u close you will be there 3 hours after your shift
you will learn good life long skills here
Server (Former Employee) –  Stephens City, VAJuly 11, 2018
Can be very busy
learned a good set of skills (counting cash, carrying dishes, customer service, people skills)

Management was okay when I left, there were a few managers that I thought were really good, others had their complaints though and they had their points.

hardest part was trying to keep up with orders and cashing out checks during a sort, sold out movie
Pros
learn good skills
Cons
sometimes there is no time for a break
Productive and fun workplace
Server /Runner (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 6, 2018
It’s a job like no other one of the best jobs I ever had, friendly staff great management flexible hours very good benefits and the food is amazing a very good job to network and meet new people
Pros
Discount on movies lunch and drinks
Cons
Some movies finish really late
Best job I've ever had!
Server (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 3, 2018
I came to the Alamo on a recommendation of my roommates. Little did I know it would be the best job ever! The work environment was friendly and fun but could also keep you on your toes. The employees were diverse and offered a unique experience in itself. The management was the best I have ever had the pleasure to work for. The perks were killer. The only thing that sucked was making a servers wage, but I feel that the perks and job environment made up for of in its own way. For employees, we got free movies, free popcorn and fountain drinks, and 1/2 off all meals on amd off clock. If I could work at an Alamo Drafthouse again, I would 100%.
Pros
1/2 off meals on and off clock, free popcorn, free fountain drinks, free movies. Awesome management. Healthcare (full-time), 401k option.
Cons
Servers wage.