Alaska Airlines Employee Reviews

Great company to work for.
CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT (Former Employee) –  East Wenatchee, WAJanuary 31, 2019
Overall great benefits and career builder. The people and work environment is amazing. The company looks out for their employees and is a top performing business.
Working for the worst airline
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  LGA/ERW/JFK/DCA/BOSDecember 12, 2018
This airline is not east coast oriented and neither does it plan to become. While is it holds a few bases east and south of, they only have them for boasting purposes. They acquired a great airline (Virgin America) and turned them into eskimos. Original Virgin employees are mistreated. Advancement options are slim to none and biased. The cost of living in NY is high and the pay is low. This is no place to call a career. It's just the next airline to sink of bankruptcy and poor customer complaints based on how they treat the employees. Can't wait to see this company sink!
benefits
Cons
everything else
Stressful for no reason
Agent/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 1, 2018
good job. fast paced but last manager was an extreme micro-manager which led to a stressful environment.
poor benefits, but discounted travel was good.
Fun place to work. Lots of people spend 30+ years here. A good career place.
Technician Helper (Former Employee) –  SeaTac, WADecember 1, 2018
My typical day as a technician helper on second shift at the hangar was spent checking and filling fluid levels of vehicles as necessary, checking hazmat areas, assisting mechanics with projects, towing aircraft, washing aircraft parts. Second shift is most likely the slowest shift for a tech helper. You can end up with a lot of down time in between towing which is the main job. Workplace culture is all about safety and personal responsibility.
Pros
Gym onsite, Food often in break room, Free coffee, Great pay and benefits, interesting people
Does not walk the talk for their employees
Payroll Analyst (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 9, 2018
Alaska prides themselves on small company feel and is not really felt by upper management, but you do feel this with co-workers or other employees. Regular day would not having a manager or supervisor to support you due to them being in too many meetings in a day.
Pros
Benefits, lunch and learns to learn about different parts of the company, training programs
Cons
Lack of support, lack of professionalism by imediate director, favortism
Its a nice Place to Work
Reservations Agent (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJanuary 20, 2019
It is a great place to work with a union and great benefits, but they can do better. Higher pay would be nice, and they should have the right technology to be able to train people from a far instead of having them travel long distances to learn how to do the job.
Pros
Cons
Should have higher pay
well orgarnized, great place to work with.
costomer service agent (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 13, 2018
Love all the employees and manager's. Everyone work together to solve problems and help each others.. good take care of their costumers. well organized training and work environment.
welcoming for newbies
Pros
good benefits, flight benefit
Cons
rude customer
goal oriented enviroment
Concierge Agent (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYNovember 12, 2018
there are multiple positions in this company, so I could only comment on the two that I have worked that. very fast paced environment with a lot of flexibility in the schedules. In both positions I learned to deal with customers in the most stressful environment, for example a flight being canceled on Christmas due to a snow storm or airline issue, and having to deal with those guests screaming at you, video taping you, and saying its your fault as well as them crying. Any issue you could imagine including medical and violent issues I dealt with. Both of my manager are like family to me, you respect them, they respect you. The hardest part of the job at first was due to my schedule was waking up at 2am or 1am for work, but after about 3 months I got used to it. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people you worked with, most of the time they were did for you when you needed them, and you could always find someone to laugh with about anything.
Pros
flght benefits
Cons
waking up early
Productive and interesting place to work
PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 13, 2018
The culture is very open and it's a fun place to work. There are travel benefits that I take advantage of.
Airlines have a diverse group of departments, I've been fortunate to be able to work across divisions and learn many aspects of running the company.
Pros
Travel Benefits
Excellent coworkers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Barrow, AKOctober 15, 2018
The typical day is started by greeting of the coworkers, a mandatory morning meeting and checking inbound and outbound lists for both people and cargo.
Pros
Fun opportunities to travel
Cons
Pay compensation is terrible
Great benefits, terrible pay
Guest Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 15, 2018
You deal with people who want to know more information about the airline, possibly do business with the airline and are frequent flyers. A lot of people know what they want when they call which makes a great day of fast call, some people have never flown before and want everything explained to them in detail. I love working with my coworkers, flying benefits are great but the amount of stress the company puts on us in order to meet quarterly goals can really question if were being paid fairly or not.
Excellent company to work for.
Manager Flight Operations (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WaAugust 30, 2018
Excellent company to work for. Leadership has a clear idea where they want company to go. Limited opportunities for internal growth<> Managers have limited experience in mentoring employees so any growth depends on employees own initiative and experience. Majority of Positions above Manager appear to be filled from outside of company.
Pros
Travel benefits, Performance Bonus Program
Cons
Limited opportunity for internal promotion.
highly recommend to apply
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 7, 2018
Alaska airlines was a very good employer for me and my family. the benefits were extremely good, health insurance , vacation, salary , 401k matching, i would recommend anyone to apply for alaska airlines. etc.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Part-time employment
Reservations Agent (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZSeptember 11, 2018
Alaska Airlines allows me to work from home as a part-time employee. The pay is low but the company provides excellent benefits. I am willing to leave or continue employment to supplement my income.
Pros
Part time, work from home, excellent benefits
Cons
Low hourly pay, I am low on the seniority pole
Challenging but typical
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 28, 2018
A pretty typical large corporation, very bottom line oriented. Each employee is treated the same, as just a number in the system. While they encourage you to "do the right thing", they are also quick to question your actions if it affects the bottom line. There is no advancement options unless you move to a large city, and there is little recognition for those who work harder than others.
Pros
Benefits, lots of hours, flight benefits
Cons
No appreciation for individual achievements, no union, split shifts, little wage advancement
Great airline to work for
Customer Service Group (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 2, 2018
Great co-workers, benefits, and travel opportunities. "The Alaska Spirit" is a real thing amongst employees, but it is still a corporation so folks shouldn't expect a fantasy world. Most people enjoy their jobs and it makes for a positive workplace.
Pros
Good benefits and travel benefits.
Cons
Still not quite a living wage for those starting in customer service or reservations.
Fast-pace... room for growth
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AK 99518August 5, 2018
Help guide aircrafts to and from gate ( terminal) to load/unload baggage in a professional and timely manner... to help customers as needed for an enjoyable flight experience.
Benefits
Cons
Pay-rate was too low
It's very competitive
Reservation Agent (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 14, 2018
I'm actually divided in how I feel about working at Alaska Airlines. If you are working the call center, please know --- BEFORE you apply --- that it IS very competitive and VERY strict. Most don't make it past the 6 months probation. I enjoy the work, I LOVE my coworkers; I don't like the policies that impact so many of us. We are the lowest paid in the industry. Yes, you get flight benefits, but taking off work is almost impossible. You have to bid on your shift and it is assigned by seniority - so if you're new, expect to get a "not so great shift" after you're "out on your own". Vacations are bid on at the end of the year for the next year, otherwise you have to trade out days with co-workers to get time off. EVERYTHING is counted as an attendance occurrence - Sick? Occurrence - Kids sick? Occurrence - Flat tire? Occurrence. The background check they perform is for the last 10 years.

If you have call center experience, DO apply. You will eventually get to work from home. However, be very aware that it WILL be hard. Learn your airport city codes, don't bother taking notes in class - everything you need is in the manual. Despite all of this - I do love Alaska Airlines.
Pros
Flight benefits
Cons
Mandatory overtime, strict schedules
Fun job
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 20, 2018
This is an exciting job if you’re single and are okay with being away from family for 3+ days at a time. Benefits are great and you will have to relocate.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Relocate, gone all the time, completely different lifestyle
Great Commute
Reservation Agent (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDJuly 25, 2018
inbound call center. great training and support. travel benefits are fantastic. rigid rules on attendance Overtime is available if desired. Great support from our Union
Pros
Great commute

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alaska Airlines. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight