Alaska Airlines Employee Reviews

Fun job
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 20, 2018
This is an exciting job if you’re single and are okay with being away from family for 3+ days at a time. Benefits are great and you will have to relocate.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Relocate, gone all the time, completely different lifestyle
It's very competitive
Reservation Agent (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 14, 2018
I'm actually divided in how I feel about working at Alaska Airlines. If you are working the call center, please know --- BEFORE you apply --- that it IS very competitive and VERY strict. Most don't make it past the 6 months probation. I enjoy the work, I LOVE my coworkers; I don't like the policies that impact so many of us. We are the lowest paid in the industry. Yes, you get flight benefits, but taking off work is almost impossible. You have to bid on your shift and it is assigned by seniority - so if you're new, expect to get a "not so great shift" after you're "out on your own". Vacations are bid on at the end of the year for the next year, otherwise you have to trade out days with co-workers to get time off. EVERYTHING is counted as an attendance occurrence - Sick? Occurrence - Kids sick? Occurrence - Flat tire? Occurrence. The background check they perform is for the last 10 years.

If you have call center experience, DO apply. You will eventually get to work from home. However, be very aware that it WILL be hard. Learn your airport city codes, don't bother taking notes in class - everything you need is in the manual. Despite all of this - I do love Alaska Airlines.
Pros
Flight benefits
Cons
Mandatory overtime, strict schedules
great place to work
Ramp Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKJuly 8, 2018
it was an excellent job opportunity with great benefits. competitive pay and an excellent training program. great employee discounts and they really take care of their employees in my experience
Pros
fledible schedule
Cons
inclement weather
Fun workplace with great travel benefits
Customer Service Agent (CSA) (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 1, 2018
Fun workplace with great travel benefits. When flights cancel, it can be a challenge to help the passengers find a different route to get where they want, since the flights are usually pretty full.
Challenging but typical
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 28, 2018
A pretty typical large corporation, very bottom line oriented. Each employee is treated the same, as just a number in the system. While they encourage you to "do the right thing", they are also quick to question your actions if it affects the bottom line. There is no advancement options unless you move to a large city, and there is little recognition for those who work harder than others.
Pros
Benefits, lots of hours, flight benefits
Cons
No appreciation for individual achievements, no union, split shifts, little wage advancement
Customer focused
Product Manager (Contractor) - 15 month contract (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 15, 2018
Alaska Airlines focuses on providing differentiated guest travel experience by developing solutions that help the customer facing teams to provide exceptional service3.
Fast paced
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 15, 2018
It's a very fast pace environment, just be able to multi task, have great customer service skills, and computer skills. It is a quick learn, and patient reaction type of career.
Buena Empresa
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJune 7, 2018
Tiene un futuro fantastico aun tengo puertas abiertas.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
mandatory overtime
Challenging but also rewarding when time is critical!
Airframe and Power plant Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 7, 2018
Great place to be in the airline industry! Competitive pay, lots of holidays off plus you can travel for almost nothing.The hardest part of the Job is the Graveyard hours.
Pros
compensation
Cons
graveyard
Team work is excellent
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Palm Springs, CAJune 3, 2018
Enjoyed the position. I was looking for a part-time hours. Often if the plane has not arrived or if the plane is unable to take off, staff must remain
Pros
Nice team spirit
Cons
Long hours and pay does not reflect the amount of work required
Just ok
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 3, 2018
Customer service agents are a revolving door. Because the pay is so little and they often transfer to different departments. Mandatory overtime is a thing, especially in the winter. Health and flight benefits are the reason most people stay. Made some awesome friends and no day at work is ever the same so thats a definite plus!
Pros
Benefits, great people
Cons
Mandatory overtime, pay
A great place to work
Airline pilot/Captain (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 19, 2018
My career at Alaska Airlines represented my career dream. Not only was I able to remain based in the Seattle area throughout my near 30 years there, I was able to fly a variety of aircraft and fly to many interesting destinations. I took pride in safely delivering thousands of people to their destionations over the years.
Pros
Working with great people doing what I loved to do.
Cons
Working all nighters could get tiring.
Alaska Airlines Culture
Station Supervisor (Former Employee) –  SeaTac, WAMay 13, 2018
Over the past decade Alaska Airlines culture has changed from a home town feel to a strong Corporate feel. Where you used to feel like you were walking into the local store you now feel like you are not even connected with your management team. They care more about the outside image that they forget about the front line worker.
Pros
Not much
Cons
Personal life is non existent compared to work life
a busy international airport
Station Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 13, 2018
great 'family' to work with....every day you go to work to do the same thing ....but no two days are ever the same......gives a great sense of pride to keep doing great things
Pros
travel benefits
Its fifty-fifty
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 4, 2018
(Wichita Station)
Station Manager is great the rest is meh.
the best part is the relaxed pace of the job.
they continuously add extra stuff to the job which makes it annoying.
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
Some toxic people, extra stuff to do
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 1, 2018
As a flight attendant I enjoyed working for Alaska Airlines. It was a flexible on-call job with good benefits. I wouldn't have quit if I didn't have children.
Pros
fun
Cons
travel from family
Fun but a hard job
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 27, 2018
Must be able to stand your entire shift, lift 50+ lbs consistently, and must be able to be flexible working any shift. Includes working holidays and mandatory overtime. Management at the local level was very difficult at times.
Pros
Flexible hours, can relocate every six months if you qualify, flight benefits.
Cons
Standing entire shift, working weekends and holidays.
Very stressful place to work; Mandatory Overtime on a frequent basis.
Customer Care Agent (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 27, 2018
I worked for Alaska Airlines for 14 years. Started as a Reservations agent, then worked as a Customer Service Agent at the airport and finally as a Customer Care Agent. The company is big and continues to grow, but unfortunately, is understaffed, which results in constant mandatory overtime. I always felt treated like a "number" and became extremely unhappy in my last position. Although they want associates to provide great customer service, they want it done under unrealistic expectations, such as within a certain amount of minutes. Everything from clocking in and out for shifts and designated breaks to how much time each incoming call is answered and handled, is monitored and timed. Seniority plays a huge role in what shift you get and shifts are bid for, every 2-3 months. It can take many years to finally end up with a day shift and with any weekends off. It's challenging to plan any personal events far in advance, because of the fact that shifts change so often. The only enjoyable part of my job, was that I was allowed to work from home, provided I paid for my own dedicated landline and high speed internet. Management did not treat me well. I had a very close relationship with one of my aunts and when she was about to pass away, I asked for one day off to fly from Seattle to San Diego to see her. They denied my request and my aunt passed away during my shift. When I advised them, they showed zero sympathy and compassion. I think Alaska Airlines is a solid company. They offer excellent benefits, but unfortunately, my experience in the departments I worked for,  more... was mostly negative. I wanted to remain with the company until retirement, but due to unrealistic demands and a lack of work-life balance, along with expectations that I could not live up to, I felt forced to quit.  less
Pros
Full benefits package; travel benefits; paid holidays and vacation; discounts.
Cons
Frequent mandatory overtime; lack of work-life balance.
Alaska airlines
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 26, 2018
Ramp work was ok. Management is not responsive. They can't provide a decent work schedule. Talk about their great flight Benifits then when time comes you want to use your Benifits they are no help.
Productiv and Fun working place
Passenger Service Agent (Former Employee) –  SeaTac, WA 98188April 23, 2018
FAA regulations, Immigration and Customs Processing, Ticketing, Cash and Credit Card Transactions, Planning and Coordinating, Telephone Service, Issue resolution, Communication Skills, Leader ship Abilities, Providing Fast and Efficient Service, Ramp Service.
Pros
Health Insurance
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alaska Airlines. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight