Alaska General Seafoods Employee Reviews

Interesting place to work with many types of people from different backgrounds and countries.
Fish Processor (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKAugust 1, 2019
A typical day at work at Alaska general seafood is hard long but rewarding the management is hard but fair the people you work with is interesting which to me is the hardest yet most enjoyable part of the job to learn about different cultures and learning to work together
Pros
Meet interesting people experience a different type of work environment and we got to see bears
Cons
Housing situation was a little bad and work hours were limited
they are one of the lowest pay processing jobs out there
Processor (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKJuly 30, 2019
they pay low and don't tell you much. i didn't even know i had health insurance until i was signing out of the office to leave. and they have you wash your own cloths with very run down washing and drying it take hours to wash there and you usually only have 4 to 3 hours to sleep and sometimes 2 hour. horrible place go to silver bay or trident or even ocean beauty they pay a lot more and wash you cloths and feed you real food at break not cookies and donuts!!!!
Overall amazing experience
PROCESSOR (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKJuly 21, 2019
NOT for the lazy or high maintenance! It's a lot of work in a short amount of time. I rated Work/Life Balance 3/5 because you work 15-18 hours EVERY day of the week, leaving almost no time for recreation, BUT it's only for one month out of the year, so it's totally worth it. You will have a tough time if you're among the 35% of workers to get either the eye infection or strep throat, but even then, the medical staff is excellent at taking care of it. The most redeeming factor for the tough living conditions (besides your paycheck) is the free meals. You get all the food you could ever want three times a day. They have so many great options every time, not once was I ever disappointed.
Another reason to go is just the weather and scenery of Naknek. It can be very calming if you're the type to appreciate it and makes the whole thing feel like a break from life back at home.
Again, it can be a tough life while you're there, but at the end of the season, you go home with up to $4,000 and a sense of accomplishment. It's not your typical job experience.
Tip: Bring insoles for the boots you will most likely have to wear. Your feet will be very sad without them.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Tough living conditions
Not happy
Fish Processor (Former Employee) –  AlaskaJuly 18, 2019
Not happy i will never go there again they put me and 3 of my friends on a plane and we landed in Seattle Washington with no money to eat with and no money to get a plane ticket home.
Productive work enviroment
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKJuly 13, 2019
Great place to work with great people. Training was spectacular. If you have questions it was always answered at the right time. Everyone gets along and works together great. Production was a sucess
es divertido
mecanico industrial (Former Employee) –  mecanico industrialJune 22, 2019
es una empresa de mucha categoria buenos sueldo mucha seguridad
Pros
seguro privado
Cons
si hay descanso
Productive and convenient located in middle of Naknek
Freezer Worker (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKMay 30, 2019
Had a wreck room on site . Middle of town close to the library ,stores . Everything was in a walking distance from AGS. Multicultural and had a great experience
Pros
Walking distance
Cons
The food
Very difficult hours and upper management is not in touch with day to day challenges
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Kenmore, WAMay 20, 2019
They have really good Plant Managers but the upper management is not in touch with the difficulties of mid-level managers and front line supervisors. They don't pay very well especially for how many hours they expect you to work and there is no acknowledgement of hard work. The culture is toxic and there is a lot of resistance to any change. There is very little room to advance a career here.
Pros
Descent benefits
Cons
You don't feel valued here
intense work, very interesting
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKMarch 24, 2019
I worked at AGS for one summer, and it was both the best and worst summer of my life. I met some amazing people and working and living in a place like Naknek Alaska was something completely new to me. The work was hard. I would start at 4 a.m. and not get off until 9 or 10 p.m. The pay did make the hard work worth while though.
Pros
All living and travel expenses were covered by AGS
Cons
long days, no days off
Worst management
Processor (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKOctober 10, 2018
A place you should never go. Ghetto, don't drink the water. The type of people they get nowadays will steal your stuff while your working. There's fights. Impossible to sleep.
Pros
Some of the people you work with
Cons
Short breaks, long hours, low pay, injured they won't help
overall a good company to work for
Processor (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKSeptember 21, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Alaskan General Seafood and would definitely recommend it to anyone. If you are wanting to work hard and have some fun while doing it then this is definitely a job for you.
Na
Seafood Processor (Former Employee) –  Kenmore, WAJuly 31, 2018
Good company to work for in the summer if you want to make good money in short amounts and time. All the staff are very cool they actually care about you.
Pros
Make good money in short time
Cons
Free trip to Alaska, free room, dinner, and breakfast.
This is a seasonal job that kicks your butt!
Salmon Oil Refinery Technician (Former Employee) –  alaskaMay 18, 2018
You work for every penny here but it is totally worth it when you get that pay check at the end of the season. Great for college students. The food has gotten worse over the years but its doable.
Pros
high income in a short period of time
Cons
dirty, stressful, long hours
It's a job,scratch Alaska off the bucket list.
Machinist/chunk operator (Former Employee) –  Naknek AlaskaMarch 16, 2018
I have never worked for a company that had it's hand in your pocket like AGS.I was hired as a machines but they are more concerned about you getting along with everyone than your ability to do the job.It seemed like I was working with a bunch of teenagers instead of men.Gossip gossip gossip,oh and by the way,if you don't gossip,you will have to stand your ground.The work wasn't challenging,they could easily cut two weeks off the beginning and pay their maintenance staff a decent wage! 19.15per hrs is considered a lot,I guess for the job.Everything else was satisfactory.Management should do a better job of explaining the politics of the cannery,and tell the new maintenance guys everything about the expenses that are taken out of your pay and that you have no choice but to join that union hall or go home.
Pros
easy work
Cons
incidentall costs, dues, healthcare that have to do
Seafood Processor (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKJanuary 8, 2018
While working with Alaska General Seafoods, you don't know what time you are scheduled to work until the day of. You typically work from early morning, just after breakfast, until late at night. Meals are scheduled at certain times. There is a scheduled breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and there is also snack time at midnight. However, you are only allowed snack if you work til midnight. So, if you work till 11 pm you are not allowed the midnight snack.
Productive and fast paced work
Seafood Processor (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKSeptember 7, 2017
A typical day started at 7 am and ended around 12 am. You would go to the board and see if you were working that day. Some days you do, and some you don't. The other workers there were laid back and understanding. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships you would build while working together.
Pros
Free housing and food, as long as you stay the whole season
Cons
Long work hours
Good experience
Cannery Worker (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKAugust 30, 2017
Well alaska was a good experience it was fun it's not a hard job. Less sleep you will meet a lot of new people around the world. And I will go back next year.
Pros
Great Weather
Cons
Short Breaks
Learn alot great people
Prosseror (Former Employee) –  Ketchikan, AKApril 7, 2017
I will work for them any day I had such a great expierence people were great enviorment was comfortable and the room and board was the best very clean
Pros
Living in the bunk house
Cons
Standing on your feet for hours
Sorting in the rain
Cannery Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Ketchikan, AKJanuary 19, 2017
a typical day at work for AGS started around 5 AM at the latest, get up, go to breakfast, then out to the docks to sort fish till about 10 or 11 at night with breaks every few hours. I learned how to tell the differences between different types of salmon as well as how to stay on my feet for hours sorting all the different types. The management was hit and miss, sometimes they were kind and helpful, at others they had nothing constructive to offer and would put us on cleaning detail or move us inside to help when other parts of the company were struggling. The culture was very isolated, there were only ten of us on the sorting line at any given time so there wasn't much to say or do. the hardest part of the job was when the boats were almost empty and someone had to go down and start pushing fish into the pump, very dark and cold work, the most enjoyable part was when we got a rare day off and got to go in to town and watch all the tourists coming through.
Salmon processor (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKNovember 12, 2016
It was exactly what I was going there to do, work. Before hire the ability to work a 16 hour shift is required. I was working 20 to 22 hour shifts, but that was my choice.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alaska General Seafoods. Our community is ready to answer.

Alaska General Seafoods Reviews by Location