Alaska Heart and Vascular Institute Employee Reviews

great
Patient Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 20, 2018
great place to work, there are a lot of miscommunication issues but overall it is a nice place to work, most of the employees have positive attitudes and management shows that they care
Appreciative and helpful employee's
CMA (Former Employee) –  3841 Piper StreetFebruary 13, 2018
Working at AHVI was the best job I've ever had. A typical day can sometimes be busy, but most of the managers are very good at working with you and managing expectations. I was always recognized that I was doing my best, and I appreciated that when I felt overwhelmed with work.

There's a lot of trust from management to the employees, and I think that's often misconstrued from employees that management was uncaring or not involved. My experience was that everyone was working hard on all their own projects, and what came together was generally good patient care and business practice.

I learned a lot of great interpersonal and healthcare skills. Much of the clinical and cath lab staff take pride in their work, and like teaching others what they're doing and why. HR offers business/clerical/healthcare/safety education courses and learning opportunities as well. Big push on self improving through education. Even I.T will stop and teach you shortcuts and faster querying if you ask them.

The hardest part of the job was communication. A lot of it relied on all the departments coming together to organize patient appointment, setup, network access, ordering delays, management approval, supplies in the room, who was headed to which clinic, etc. I think that aspect of any business is always a work in progress though.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the team. 98% of all the employees were generally good natured, friendly people. I appreciated all the birthday parties, holiday events, potlucks, heart run events, etc.
Pros
Flexible hours, Benefits, Pay
Cons
Organizing who's doing what task
scheduling coordinator
Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  AlaskaOctober 16, 2017
Was not told there is a quota for scheduling patients. Trained for two weeks and told that It was up to me if I wanted to stay or not. But i felt like i was being let go.
Pros
Cons
no lunches not enough training
Worst management ever!
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  ClinicOctober 13, 2017
I have never worked for a company that has had this horrible of a management team. Management treats the hard workers like they are worthless but if you get in close with the supervisors, you may get benefits from being the managers "pets". Lack of leadership and direction. Management team is also very dishonest, they will lie and write you up to make themselves look better and to protect their own. They also give you a hard time about taking time off for appointments even if you have the sick time. HR doesn't stand up for the employees, if you complain about management, they brush it off. The providers are great, very personable. I just wish they knew what was going on within their practice and why they have such a high turn around. I really enjoyed working with the providers but I will never work under a management team that belittles people, lies and stirs up the drama.
Pros
Doctors and patients are wonderful
Cons
Only consider as a last resort
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  the officeJuly 9, 2017
The other reviews on here are pretty much spot on, management is completely clueless. the training is an afterthought at best. the expectations are completely unrealistic. below average pay.
Pros
Nope
Cons
daily headaches
Worst Company in Alaska to work for!
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  AlaskaJune 30, 2017
Hostile work environment. Management is a joke. They Talk to you like you're worthless. The pay is below AKS. Lunch breaks are a myth. Don't work here
Pros
Doctors give great patient care
Cons
Pay Is NOT DOE/ competitive, No Breaks, you're always in trouble.
Worst Management I've ever worked for!
Health Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 28, 2017
Not sure how I lasted a few years at this place. I eventually got tired of the petty drama, gossip (usually done by the manager and favorite pets) worse than high school gossip and drama! Some co-workers were great, we were all on the same page on how we felt about management and even HR who couldn't help the many issues in that office. No room for advancement, manager cries fake tears just so you won't transfer out of the department. Manager talks about employees pay to other employees. Just a terrible place to work. Manager talks to employees like they're dogs. Tired of seeing coworkers cry out of frustration and fear. It's a shame!
Pros
Nothing!
Cons
Micro Management, no breaks, gossip
Dog Eat Dog
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 26, 2017
When I took the position at Alaska Heart, I was told there was great room for advancement within the company, but I was surely lied to. This is one of the worst medical companies I have ever worked for. Absolutely no help from management and other staff members are out to attack each other and a lot of backstabbing not only by employees, but management as well. It's like working for a circus. I wish that I could have something positive to say about this place, but I can't think of one thing. Management is horrible, pay is horrible and workplace morale is suffering because of this, which means patient care is not at its best.
Pros
Not one
Cons
Management, backstabbing, low morale
worst place to work
Echo Technician (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 6, 2017
Working in the heart Institute is horrible. Everyone talk behind your back, lies are normal things on you just to cover themselves, don't feel happy and comfortable working with such people.
Pros
Not any
Cons
Short breaks
Heart health
Prior Authorization Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 3, 2017
I enjoyed working at this company but I was not impressed with some of the management style. I spend several years with this company to find out that they don't always hire the most efficient employees.

Want to know more about Alaska Heart and Vascular Institute?

Ask a question
Terrible
CMA (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 29, 2016
Being from a large city, this is some of the worst care I've seen and was a nightmare to work here. The physicians are amazing but management was terrible, of their is any. Super high turn over rate and after working there I can see why. I was excited to work there, but it was a let down.
Pros
Not one.
Cons
No gauruntee of a lunch break, terrible training, poor workplace attitude, benefits aren't great
7 years
Arrhythmia, CMA (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 17, 2015
I would of love to put a five star on this. The Alaska Heart Institute was a great place to work when it was a small group. This place has become to big and now I feel that the patients have suffered from it. It became a "turn and burn" kind of environment and when I seen the patients care go from excellent to some of the worst I have seen. I have always looked at my patients as someone's mother, father, brother, sister and I feel it's not about the money as its about the patients care, well making sure each patient is getting the correct care. At one time this place was an amazing place to work.
Pros
Can't name one anymore
Cons
Management is horrible, do what they want or you get harassed for making your patients care number one.
Great doctors to work with
Echo/Vascular Sonographer (Current Employee) –  Anchorage AlaskaJuly 16, 2015
Great physicians and patient care provided. It is refreshing to work in a private firm with such great physicians from all over the world.
Full of learning opportunities
Advanced Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AlaskaOctober 8, 2014
I loved working at the heart institute. The physicians were fabulous to collaborate with. I was able to work inpatient and outpatient cardiology doing everything from nuclear medicine stress tests to heart failure management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alaska Heart and Vascular Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

2.3