Alaska USA Federal Credit Union
Happiness rating is 69 out of 100

Alaska USA Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

In the three departments I’ve been in, I’ve been promoted quickly. Overall management doesn’t listen to concerns of employees, and a lot of constructive criticism falls on deaf ears. Supervisors can regularly rely on lower level employees to do a lot of their busy work so they can be in meetings that don’t seem to lead to much actually being done. Overall wage is fair and the benefits are pretty phenomenal. If I had to give it a rating out of 5, i would say between 3.5 and 4 is fair.
Pros
Quarterly bonuses, good benefits
Cons
Management respond to criticism
Management was negative and condescending/played favorites. Moving up in the career or even receiving the best schedule or one that would provide a healthy life/work balance depended on who you knew or was related to.
Coworkers are great. Expectations at work was unrealistic. You have so much side duties that take up too much time where you’re unable to get your primary job duties done. Other departments reach out for unnecessary assistance.
Very sales oriented, but the work culture was good and management does a decent job of motivating everyone to hit their goals. Could be paid better given the importance of hitting sales goals.
Alaska USA Federal Credit Union is a nice place to work. I have no complaints about management or coworkers, they were great. Hours were good, manager was kind.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Overall the employment was pretty good. I wouldn't say great or bad really. But in the end I felt like management and upper level management didn't really care about employees or the members of the credit union. They were constantly pushing sales and trying to micro manage employees, which really turned me off.
The credit union places almost all business growth to individual locations. No real market place advertising or community involvement or presence in emerging markets. Lack of success always blamed on management and staff, never upper management or corporate direction. Quick to tell you the shortcomings of performance but never give tools or tips on how to improve that work. Some branches are so slow it’s mind numbing for staff and management with little opportunity to grow the business.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Lack of true game plan in emerging markets/comminities.
I've worked for the company for 26 years and held multiple positions. Great company to work and family oriented. They don't believe on firing employees they will couch and develop. I would recommend to anyone.
Pros
Benefits and Retirement.
Cons
They changed the retirement to 401k
Great company to work for. Loved the environment, coworkers, and classes. Branch management is okay. A few standout BMs! Mine was not. My abm was awesome but my BM was super rude, condescending, and completely unprofessional. The BM would start arguments just to argue on the teller line, didn’t take complaints seriously, had the mentality of I’m always, and was always late. Pay is good, always busy, and schedule isn’t bad!
I have worked here 4 years now. It’s not bad but it’s not amazing. They need to work severely at equal pay. As an assistant branch manager you only make $1 more than the level below you, sr fsr, simply due to them not adequately raising your pay to that of those new to the company. You would make more leaving and coming back than to stay. You do get rewarded for working at the company a long time in PTO, at 4 years you get 7+ hrs a paycheck. The work environment is lacking simply due to a lack of vision. The company has a vision but hasn’t given any guidance on what that looks like executed so each branch feels like a different company. Overall it’s an okay place where you can’t expect to move up much or fast.
Cons
Micromanaging, medium pay, high cost health insurance, no cohesive vision in the company
Do not recommend working in the corporate areas, perhaps the branches might be a little different but overall everyone I worked with was dissatisfied with their managers and the general morale.
Pros
Lots of locations for transfer opportunities
Cons
Management does not listen to staff or care about the turnover.
Awesome. Ppl there were very helpful. I was recommended this job. Training was amazing. They have free coffee that is always a plus . Always room for advancement
This was a fantastic career path to focus in on my professional skills and learn a lot of the backside of the financial world. Depending on the management you get gives you the motivation and drive to succeed. I was lucky enough to have both, terrible first management ....then AMAZING manager .. I relocated and then was unmotivated to achieve anything. Depending on your location helps determine success with this company. Overall not terrible and a great step for becoming better financially informed.
Pros
Health Benefits, 401k match up to 4% expanding your knowledge while gaining experience
Cons
management and communications.
I worked there for 8 months and unfortunately the manager I had picked favorites. She tried to train me through other people instead of helping me. She would often ignore me while she wasn’t doing anything. On her shift she frequently went to doctor visits so she was almost never there and she was pretty much not there 90% of her own work shift. You can’t set an example by being late either. She was always late to open the branch for us. Great person, just had no idea how to be at work. “Doctor visitor today” “Gym day today” “dental appointment “ all in the middle or beginning of her shift. She was maybe there for an hour.
Pros
Good compensation and co workers
Cons
Terrible manager and high stress
If you’re good at pushing sales or won’t feel uncomfortable doing so, this is the job for you. This particular branch I was working with had very poor management. I felt very embarrassed when a member would come up and see our Senior FSR falling asleep on the line. It was very unprofessional and gives a very bad look on the company especially at a supervisor position. The manager micromanaged and was constantly hovering over my shoulder which hindered my performance. There was a sense of favoritism within the office and it became a toxic environment to the point where it was unbearable stay. I knew management wasn’t going to change so I made the decision to leave. Also the hours are brutal and since Sunday’s were a universal day off, you only get one out of the week. Loved meeting new members though.
Pros
Pay, compensation, lovely team staff
Cons
Advancement, Favoritism, long hours
Professional customer service Great leadership Always involved with the community Fun and relaxed place to work Great communication between supervisors and reps
Great mentors and employees to work with. They are very helpful. Your success is there utmost concern. There bonus packets are great. Family Friendly Company.
Alaska USA cares about its employees. In a typical day at work I take over 100 calls, helping members with their banking needs. It is a high paced environment. management is great and are willing to work with you to advance in the company. All the people I work with are great. the most enjoyable part of the job is helping our members. I get satisfaction when I am helping others.
People werent bad to work with. Management was ok. Nothing much to learn. Great job for someone who likes to just sit. Bonuses, great medical and if another position is available in the company you ca transfer
Pros
Great benefits, ok employees, transfer within
Cons
Too much sitting for me, not learning much
Good pay good benefits room for advancement if you like customer service this is a good job the medical benefits and retirement benefits are great.
Alaska USA has a strong culture of customer service and giving back to the community. They have deep roots in Alaska but have been aggressively expanding in the Southwest providing lots of opportunities for growth within the company.