Albany Medical Center Employee Reviews

Very good job security
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 20, 2018
Albany Medical Center had a great work environment. The employees were very courteous and professional. If you want a job that is safe and secure, then I would strongly suggest working for them.
Pros
job securty
Cons
some weekend and nightly work from home
Great Learning
Registered Professional Nurse (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 17, 2018
Excellent place to work for new and experienced RNs. Support from management is present. Opportunities to learn and advance career with tuition reimbursement as well.
Excellent care
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 17, 2018
Albany Medical Center provides care which is excellent. The physicians are caring, and highly skilled. The nurses are knowledgable and helpful. The technicians are helpful and go out of their way for the patients.
Learned a lot
Professional Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 17, 2018
I worked at AMC for four years in the post-cardiothoracic unit. great unit to learn. I have learned everything I know from this unit. I would recommend to new nurses.
Pros
great place to learn
Cons
lowest wage in the region
It's a lot of work for sometimes little progress
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 16, 2018
Albany Med has a lot of great people, a lot of hard workers, and a lot of people dedicated to making a difference in the lives of patients and customers. I am honored to have a spent a number of years across many departments within the hospital with such dedicated people. And make no mistake, if I was in dire need of medical care I would choose nowhere else to go than AMC.

With that being said, Albany Med is a lumbering beast in culture. This problem is endemic across many departments in the hospital, where how things have been for years sets up a culture very resistant to change. This is exacerbated by the fact that upper management has spent so much of the past decade focusing on growing out Albany Med that they didn't even hear the complaints of employees which culminated in the nurses voting to unionize. I make no joke about it that it is known board members mentioning how shocked they were about the vote going so strongly to the union. This keys in how strongly, in one sense, that many levels of management are disconnected from front line employees. This separation is made worse by the lack of desire to settle interdepartmental conflicts, or rolling out process changes. Middle managers are left to fend for themselves as broad directives are handed down with flaws left in the details.

The final big sin, and I feel it's important as a reflection on the upper level management of Albany Med, is the addiction they have to bringing in consultants. Consultants for systems, consultants for processes, consultants for management. It's constant, they overlap, in and
  more... out. Recommendations or made, changes are attempted, and ultimately, going back to my first point about culture, all the lessons are dropped and completely forgotten. That is, until the next round comes in. It's gotten so bad, an AVP and VP position, both vacated within a year of each other, are currently occupied by consultants! It's not the money used that bothers me, although it is significant. It's that upper management recognizes that the operation is not perfect, fluid or efficient. It's that they don't trust anyone they hired (or inherited, as reporting structures change regularly as well) to come up with solutions from the areas they're concerned about.

It's a lot to deal with at times, but I go back to the fact that despite all my gripes above, Albany Med still has a lot of outstanding individuals who put in 100% every day in an industry where mistakes can be fatal. I would be staying, but the lack of direction and hope for career advancement are they key reasons I decided to leave.
Pros
Great benefits package, good discounts, typically excellent coworkers
Cons
Pay suffers a little, understaffing.
Delivery Person (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 14, 2018
The job was very relaxed. It was laid back job from clock in to clock out. It was all self explanatory and hands on. Didn’t need much experience or knowledge to be able to do the work required
AMCH is an excellent company
RN Case Management ER (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 11, 2018
I thoroughly appreciated working at AMCH. I found the culture to be that of learning, caring, for the most part. The training was comprehensive, paced to allow successful performance. The pay rate and benefit package were fair. I found the supervisors to be concerned and caring people. I would not hesitate to return to work there if circumstances permited.
Pros
Fair compensation, good benefits, good advancement opportunities
Cons
no telephonic opportunity
big hospital great experiences
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 10, 2018
Great place to work to see things you would otherwise not see anywhere else! I saw so many things I would never see anywhere else! Lots of opportunity to advance
Very well balanced and supportive environment
Associate Professor of Surgery (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 6, 2018
Albany State Medical Center was a very well balanced, supportive, educational institution. Medical students, residents, Physician assistants, nursing, support staff all contribute to the success of such a well oiled institution. My time there was key to me advancement in life.
Pros
Very fine tuned insitution
Cons
I have worked here for many years
RN (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 5, 2018
Albany Medical Center has been very good for my career. I started as a novice RN and progress through the years gaining my confidence and organizational skills to accomplish my duties.
wholesome, more laid back and effective
Nurse Practitioner Cardiac Critical Care Unit (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 3, 2018
Very fruitful days. Love the walking rounds very effective input is progressing patient health daily. Most enjoyable part is the dialogue between different disciplines.
Senior Research Assistant Emergency Medicine
Senior Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 29, 2018
My position as Senior Research Assistant for Emergency Medicine gave me an awesome opportunity to learn background in Clinical Research as well as exposure to Emergency Medicine.
Good pay, experience
Medical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 26, 2018
Albany Medical Center is a good start for social workers looking to advance in their field and gain experience in the medical arena. It is fast paced and stressful, but you get to see firsthand many of the varied population that is important to social work as a discipline.
great place for experience
Patient Care Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 26, 2018
this is a great place to work if you're pursuing a career in the medical, however, the pay is terrible. i would have to work a overwhelming amount of hours to reach stability
Pros
great experience
Cons
poor pay
AMC is a good place to get experience, you always meet smart and friendly people.
EVS Tech (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 25, 2018
Pleasant workplace, got a very useful experience in the hospital.Sometimes you are very busy, sometimes not, but you try to do your job 100% because it's for people.
Fast Paced
Business Systems Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 25, 2018
The Business Systems Analyst III supports medical applications so needs to be fast-paced in order to best serve the doctors and patients. But it is also a "sweat-shop". The IT department is dysfunctional..
Pros
Rewarding to know your efforts improves someone's quality of life
Cons
Unrealistic expectations and timelines
Unparalleled RN training and exposure
Registered Nurse III - Elective Orthopedics (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 19, 2018
Very good place to start your RN career. One can get a broad array of various patient cases to establish learning. Professional support systems are readily available and accessible.
Very good
Patient Transportation (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 19, 2018
Working at Albany medical center was very amazing. The customer service was very nice. Everyone are very loving & caring. The hospital is always clean .
Pros
Excellent
Cons
Growth and advancement depend on the type of work you do and who you know
Quality Assurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 1, 2018
Management more concerned about your work than your well-being. If you work as a healthcare provider you'll see a benefit. If not, you may remain stagnant.
Terrible management, does not support staff.
Administrative Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 1, 2018
Coworkers are awful, the ones that aren't are run off in a years time to other positions either in the hospital or with the state. Management is negative, does not support their employees when concerns are brought up. Considering the size and presence and amount of business this hospital does the pay is below average. I love my job, but it's not worth staying with bad management and miserable coworkers.