Albany Medical Center Employee Reviews

Excellent
Staff Nurse/Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  C2 floorNovember 10, 2018
Loved working for AMC.Great pay. Good patient nurse ratio. Great retirement benefits.They have lots of room for advancement and plenty of seminars to keep their staff up on the latest in the medical field. Wonderful peer support in a team nursing approach.
Cons
Non
Needs improvement
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 22, 2018
Need to work on maintaining an equal pay scale to other companies and showing value to employees as well improve culture of change
Management improvement including transparent outlined goals and communication with employees
Pros
Fringe benefits good, bank easily accessible
Cons
Pay scale inequitable
It stared out great
Jr Buyer (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 16, 2018
The job started out great but issues with the department director and a new computer system changed everything. Co-Workers were great people. Had I know the director was also going to leave a few months after I did, I would never have left.
Pros
Great Co-workers, Good location. Decent pay.
Cons
Upper management was terrible. Lacked consideration for those below them.
It's a challenge at times
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 5, 2018
It was a job. Thankful for the opportunities Albany Medical Center provided. Experienced disrespect towards support staff(aka those who did not have an official degree).
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Experienced disrespect towards support staff
Busy place
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 3, 2018
I liked the hours i worked and enjoyed my job there. Management was always a challenge in the 8 years I worked in pediatrics i had 4 different managers.
Pros
Learning hospital
Cons
Low pay
Educational place to work
Certified Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  operating roomOctober 1, 2018
As my first job out of surgical tech school, this hospital allowed me to learn new things. I was able to see different surgeries that were not available anywhere else in the region.
good start
RN (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 24, 2018
I started there as an RN on a new unit. It was poorly staffed with high ratios that were unsafe. Since that time they have had a hard time retaining RNs. Doctors were wonderful to work with.
Pros
great learning opportunity
Cons
poor pay
Depends on what you do
Administrative Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 20, 2018
As an ASA at the nurses station in the main hospital, you make charts, call or page staff, hand out work phones for the nurses (who are assigned them by last name, but are obviously referred to by their first OR nicknames so it would be helpful to learn their full names) answer questions, and other clerical tasks. ASA's are required to train on hospital software out of their department for about two weeks before they join their team for more training. Once I arrived, the original woman who hired me was given a new position, therefore the woman who became the acting manager was unaware of who I was, or what I was hired for. My training was provided by an ASA who was immature and ill-equipped to train anyone. ASA's are treated like the bottom of the barrel. The nurses in the department I worked in were catty, mean-spirited and not very nice to their patients. They engaged in conversation not appropriate for the workplace and insensitive to people with different political, religious, and ethnic backgrounds. The doctors are incredibly nice, but most of the residents were snobbish and wouldn't bother to learn your name. I used this opportunity as a quick tell of whether or not I wanted to work in a hospital setting. With my experience here, the answer is no.
Very good job security
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 20, 2018
Albany Medical Center had a great work environment. The employees were very courteous and professional. If you want a job that is safe and secure, then I would strongly suggest working for them.
Pros
job securty
Cons
some weekend and nightly work from home
good place to work
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 19, 2018
Albany medical center offers a multitude of learning opportunities for those that are interested in pursuing a career in the medical industry. Opportunities for advancement in chosen fields and for those that are interested in furthering their education.

Want to know more about Albany Medical Center?

Ask a question
Great Learning
Registered Professional Nurse (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 17, 2018
Excellent place to work for new and experienced RNs. Support from management is present. Opportunities to learn and advance career with tuition reimbursement as well.
Excellent care
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 17, 2018
Albany Medical Center provides care which is excellent. The physicians are caring, and highly skilled. The nurses are knowledgable and helpful. The technicians are helpful and go out of their way for the patients.
Learned a lot
Professional Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 17, 2018
I worked at AMC for four years in the post-cardiothoracic unit. great unit to learn. I have learned everything I know from this unit. I would recommend to new nurses.
Pros
great place to learn
Cons
lowest wage in the region
It's a lot of work for sometimes little progress
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 16, 2018
Albany Med has a lot of great people, a lot of hard workers, and a lot of people dedicated to making a difference in the lives of patients and customers. I am honored to have a spent a number of years across many departments within the hospital with such dedicated people. And make no mistake, if I was in dire need of medical care I would choose nowhere else to go than AMC.

With that being said, Albany Med is a lumbering beast in culture. This problem is endemic across many departments in the hospital, where how things have been for years sets up a culture very resistant to change. This is exacerbated by the fact that upper management has spent so much of the past decade focusing on growing out Albany Med that they didn't even hear the complaints of employees which culminated in the nurses voting to unionize. I make no joke about it that it is known board members mentioning how shocked they were about the vote going so strongly to the union. This keys in how strongly, in one sense, that many levels of management are disconnected from front line employees. This separation is made worse by the lack of desire to settle interdepartmental conflicts, or rolling out process changes. Middle managers are left to fend for themselves as broad directives are handed down with flaws left in the details.

The final big sin, and I feel it's important as a reflection on the upper level management of Albany Med, is the addiction they have to bringing in consultants. Consultants for systems, consultants for processes, consultants for management. It's constant, they overlap, in and
  more... out. Recommendations or made, changes are attempted, and ultimately, going back to my first point about culture, all the lessons are dropped and completely forgotten. That is, until the next round comes in. It's gotten so bad, an AVP and VP position, both vacated within a year of each other, are currently occupied by consultants! It's not the money used that bothers me, although it is significant. It's that upper management recognizes that the operation is not perfect, fluid or efficient. It's that they don't trust anyone they hired (or inherited, as reporting structures change regularly as well) to come up with solutions from the areas they're concerned about.

It's a lot to deal with at times, but I go back to the fact that despite all my gripes above, Albany Med still has a lot of outstanding individuals who put in 100% every day in an industry where mistakes can be fatal. I would be staying, but the lack of direction and hope for career advancement are they key reasons I decided to leave.
Pros
Great benefits package, good discounts, typically excellent coworkers
Cons
Pay suffers a little, understaffing.
Delivery Person (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 14, 2018
The job was very relaxed. It was laid back job from clock in to clock out. It was all self explanatory and hands on. Didn’t need much experience or knowledge to be able to do the work required
AMCH is an excellent company
RN Case Management ER (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 11, 2018
I thoroughly appreciated working at AMCH. I found the culture to be that of learning, caring, for the most part. The training was comprehensive, paced to allow successful performance. The pay rate and benefit package were fair. I found the supervisors to be concerned and caring people. I would not hesitate to return to work there if circumstances permited.
Pros
Fair compensation, good benefits, good advancement opportunities
Cons
no telephonic opportunity
big hospital great experiences
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 10, 2018
Great place to work to see things you would otherwise not see anywhere else! I saw so many things I would never see anywhere else! Lots of opportunity to advance
Very well balanced and supportive environment
Associate Professor of Surgery (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 6, 2018
Albany State Medical Center was a very well balanced, supportive, educational institution. Medical students, residents, Physician assistants, nursing, support staff all contribute to the success of such a well oiled institution. My time there was key to me advancement in life.
Pros
Very fine tuned insitution
Cons
I have worked here for many years
RN (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 5, 2018
Albany Medical Center has been very good for my career. I started as a novice RN and progress through the years gaining my confidence and organizational skills to accomplish my duties.
wholesome, more laid back and effective
Nurse Practitioner Cardiac Critical Care Unit (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 3, 2018
Very fruitful days. Love the walking rounds very effective input is progressing patient health daily. Most enjoyable part is the dialogue between different disciplines.