Albemarle County Public Schools and Local Government

Albemarle County Public Schools and Local Government Employee Reviews

United States61 reviews
I have seen way too much to stay happy at my current position. With such a big community, it can be hard to have a voice. Overall, I have learned a lot. I do feel teaching assistants are not involved as much as they should be.
Pros
Diversity. Paid summer. Paid time off. Learning opportunities (most for teachers)
Cons
Salary. Flexibility. Communication
I work in a school. Typical day is with the after school program; greeting students and getting them focused and refocused on the task at hand. The atmosphere is relaxed and the staff are very welcoming. There really is no hard part to this job. The most enjoyable part is seeing the students enjoy the program and all that we offer them. Every student seems to be happy to be in the after school program.
It is essential that you get to know the people you will be working with on a day-to-day basis. They will be your colleagues and support system. If you do not feel at ease with them, you need to consider working elsewhere. Do not feel you must "be" someone you are not in order to fit in or you will not be able to deliver your best through the good times and the hard ones.
Specialized Bus Drivers are assigned routes to drive when the regular driver is absent or the route is open. There has been constant shortage of drivers, so overtime is a possibility. Student management can be challenging in this substitute role.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Caring teachers for the most part. Administration is supportive within the constraints of county allowances / policy. Good professional development offered.
it is a good place to work. the people are nice and i adore the children. They have good benefits. If only could they would pay bi weekly or weekly. Getting paid monthly is hard to budget your money.
There are great people that work there and all of my coworkers were wonderful. I had zero problems working with them. The most enjoyable part about the job was seeing the kids everyday come in with a smile on there face and them leaving with one.
Great place to work. Managers are outstanding leaders and distinguished for proven team-building capabilities and excellent conflict resolution techniques. Thank you!
MHS is a great school and with kids.. best time when i was rhere. Is a little stressful but not as much as you would rhink. We had alot of fun! Would hate to wait
They have the common policy of one year contracts, therefore little job security. Teaching is always stressful, overworked and underpaid. ACPS does offer a competitive salary.
Pros
Working with children.
Cons
Little job security.
I appreciate Albemarle. Albemarle was a good place to start off for me, and I grew after that into an instructional aide and more. Albemarle let me do both General Ed and much Special Ed. The workplace climate was positive.
I worked in cafeteria at Sutherland middle school. It's very fast paced. Manager was always nervous, no matter what you did it wasn't good enough. I wanted to stay the whole year but I couldn't take it anymore. I've worked a lot of food service and retail jobs. Worse job ever.
Pros
Off weekends
Cons
No breaks, poor management
Albemarle county public schools are wonderful! They have such wonderful staff members and they really care about their students. They definitely go above and beyond to make you feel comfortable and confident in your job position. They are always available and eager to answer any questions you may have. I always recieved a smile complete with a welcome packet when I walked through the door at any of their schools!
Loved the diversity among staff and students. School I worked at had a positive and safe environment to grow as a student, educator, or employee. Felt recognized and appreciated.
ACPS was a great place to work with a supportive culture. There were opportunities professional development and encouragement to work toward something bigger. Very student centered school division with appropriately high expectations for employees.
Good workplace, great management, good students, bad pay, good hours, fast pace, lots of walking, standing, some outside labor, mostly inside, positive work
As an assistant principal, my work day is long,but worth every minute. I have learned a lot about children, and adult management. The workplace culture in Albemarle is varied, but at my school we are all proud and hard-working. The hardest part of my job is dealing with the pressure of expectations from outside the school.. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping teachers to change the trajectory for students.
Horrible place to work for it was very poorly managed.My foreman for the grounds crew wouldn’t take charge.The work that we did was not appreciated.Everyone always talked about how under appreciated there work was.Thats probably one of the reasons no one wanted to work.
Albemarle County has an excellent reputation as maintaining quality public schools. There is a lot of competition for positions given the University of Virginia graduates. As would be expected, Albemarle usually has their choice of graduates which makes for a competitive environment. Overall, there is good rapport between teaching staff and administration.
Albemarle County Public Schools has been a great company to work for. If you are looking for a school district to work for, I wouldn't think twice about joining this great community.
you get to do lots of different stuff every day, the best part of my Job is working whit the Teachers and Students, the hardest part of my job is maintaining the whole school clean
Pros
free food, to learn, Friend