Albemarle County Public Schools and Local Government

Albemarle County Public Schools and Local Government Employee Reviews

Great People but terrible leadership
Driver Trainer / Lead Driver (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VASeptember 7, 2018
Want to advance? Not here! It's all in who you know there. Even if you are more qualified then the other people applying for a job, it does not matter to them at ll.
I loved the student body!
Core+ Math Teacher, Jack Jouett Middle School (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAAugust 2, 2018
There was such diversity in the student body. I enjoyed working with the students daily. As anywhere, there were so many politics when dealing with the faculty, staff, and human resources.
Wonderful School System
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJune 11, 2018
Albemarle County is an excellent county to teach in. Students are eager to learn and parents are generally concerned about their children and wish to partner with the teacher. Overall a very good school system to work for.
Teacher
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMay 12, 2018
Stressful but rewarding job! My colleagues were supportive and overall the teachers care a lot about their students. Albemarle County is technologically advanced and innovative.
Fun work place with like minded professionals.
Teaching Assistant and Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 11, 2018
Great place for personal development and enrichment for career building. Great staff with same goals and work criteria directed towards the fundamentals of teaching and the service of child hood learning.
Pros
time off during the summer for other opportunities.
Cons
low salary
A unique place in public education
Executive Director of Technologies and Innovation (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 5, 2018
ACPS is a school system that puts kids first, and that breeds constant innovation. A relatively flat hierarchy allows ideas to spread from a wide range of sources, which makes life in central management both complicated and exciting.

The 25 schools, 14,000 students, 2,500 staff make up one of the most innovative, and one of the most successful diverse school systems in America.
Overview of Daily Routine
Transporation Driver (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VANovember 29, 2017
Up early, inspecting bus daily, report any issues, manage upto 72 students, work place culture was depressing, most enjoyable were the students good & bad.
Pros
Comforting the Students
Cons
Pay, Co-Worker Attitudes, Sitting, Breathing Fumes
Forward-thinking school division that cares about its employees and students.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VASeptember 15, 2017
Forward-thinking school division that cares about its employees and students. Well-funded with excellent instructional and administrative staff. Students in middle and high school have individual computers.
Good Employer
Lead Service Desk Engineer (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAAugust 15, 2017
A great place to work in this area. Room for advancement in the department
Need to have very good multitasking skills, attention to detail, god customer service skills and the ability to work in a school environment
I was a Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Albemarle County, VAAugust 5, 2017
Substitute Teaching really isn't that hard. When I was there, they used Jobulator to help you get assigned days to cover for teachers. I ended up subbing 5 days a week.
I love the students, staff and parents. The school atmosphere is a wonderful collaboration of a team effort but my supervisor likes to delegate.
Site Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJuly 22, 2017
There are so many good things that I surround myself in in order to continue to work here. The positive vibes from staff, students and parents makes me want to come to work everyday. The higher ups who sit up high and point down low are the reasons I do not want to come to work and the reason I hate my job.
Fun Workplace
Site Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMarch 15, 2017
I work with a wonderful group of children and staff. We all work well together, and I am thankful for the opportunities I have been given thus far with Albemarle County.
Pros
Staff, children, and parents
Cons
Hours
Good place to work for
Custodian Worker (Former Employee) –  Albemarle County, VAFebruary 21, 2017
Enjoyed the work around the schools doin custodian and Maintance, helping the kids helping the administration did a little bit of everything just needed to make a change for money
Pros
Laid back job
Cons
Nothing bad
Enjoyed driving and the kids and the custodian job
School bus driver Albemarle county (Former Employee) –  Albemarle County, VAFebruary 21, 2017
Good job decent pay for back then enjoyed the kids doin field trips and working around and cleaning the school fun co workers hated to leave but needed more money then
Pros
Good job working with kids
Cons
Really none
Different atmosphere and culture
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 6, 2017
Turned into more of a political scene than a normal work environment. Management unsure for most of the decisions that they make.
Benefits
Cons
Management, politics
enjoyed working with kids and co workers
Food Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VADecember 19, 2016
I really enjoyed working for Albemarle county I love working with children and my co workers my supervisor was wonderful to work with they really liked to help out when needed and so did the management as well I really learned a lot about how to clean and operate a dishwasher and how to run the dish room in general the most enjoyable part of the job for me was seeing the kids everyday the hardest part was when I had to leave my job do to and car accident if it was not for my accident I would still be there today
Pros
free lunches and holidays off
Cons
not enough hours
i enjoyed being a substitute teacher!
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VASeptember 7, 2016
I received a call or notification most days.
In most cases, I had great support, and material was well-prepared beforehand.
The hardest part of the job...well, I'd have to say that would be a few things.
One, sometimes I would see several openings for the same day, at different schools. Although usually it is better to have a few options, so I'm not really complaining about that!
Two, I've been "cut" by a few schools, and no reason was given. None. And that's how it goes, as a substitute teacher.
Three, the opposite of #1...not getting any calls/notifications for a day or two. Or three. But a call to HR can sometimes clear an issue up.

The most enjoyable part is the variety being a substitute teacher provides!
Cons
You don't get any reasons/feedback if a school "cuts" you, which can be for ANY reason.
Great school district
Community Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMarch 1, 2016
Really a good school district to work for. Loved my principal and assistant principal, co-workers. I really enjoyed my two years with the district.
Fun place to work.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 1, 2016
Great staff support, pretty responsive students who have problem behaviors. Lots of positive reinforcement, wonderful staff to work with.
I enjoy working with students as they learn at so many different levels.
Teacher Assistant, Special Education (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VASeptember 29, 2015
Currently I work one to one with a student. However I do assist the teachers with academics in the classroom sometimes with other students.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Albemarle County Public Schools and Local Government. Our community is ready to answer.

Albemarle County Public Schools and Local Government Reviews by Job Title