Albemarle Oil Company Employee Reviews

enjoyable workplace
Payroll Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Tyrone, PAApril 10, 2018
Hectic work environment where I learned a lot about payroll and benefits. I enjoyed working for both managers I had and the workplace culture was positive. The hardest part of the job was dealing with disgruntled employees and the part I enjoyed most was my coworkers.
benefits
Cons
telling employees what they did not want to hear
Poor company vision
Toxicologist (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 5, 2018
This is a company in transition from a chemical vendor to a mining company. There has never been a clear vision articulated. If you are not a chemical engineer you are not valued here.
Good place to work.
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXFebruary 16, 2018
Its a good place to work. I am just looking to expand my knowledge. I learned how safety plays a very important role in the industry. The most important for me is to provide more for my family.
Pros
Schedule, safety culture
Cons
The demand for the product is decreasing.
Ok to work for, but I wouldn't make a career there
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  TexasFebruary 15, 2018
Typical day started with an informal pow-wow with the other members of the department to get everyone up to speed on whats been happening. After that I was mostly left to my own projects if I wasn't working on something assigned to me.
Great place to work...
Environmental Contractor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXFebruary 13, 2018
I liked the people, some of the processes were antiquated and the ESH culture was going through quite a shift while I was there, with a huge improvement made by the time I left. Plant managers seem to be rotated in and out very quickly but I think that was a result of some corporate restructuring.
Pros
Great Environmental Manager
Cons
Multiple plant managers while I was there.
Productive steady pace
Operator (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJanuary 2, 2018
Productive work with plenty of different jobs to learn, on your feet a lot but easy to get along with other coworkers that are willing to help out. Learned to do lockout tag out on all the equipment, learned how to run utilities by maintaining steam pressure, air pressure, process water coming into the plant. Learned how to run the units, ABB dcs systems
Horrible company to work for.
Former Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cameron, NCDecember 19, 2017
Frequent inane internal policy changes with minimal communication, Frequent gossip and backstabbing by staff AND management. Little to no support by upper management. Very low pay, no employee reviews, someone getting a raise is very rare. I was promoted to asst. Manager without a raise until 6 months later and even then, it was a meager amount.
Pros
free fountain drinks/coffee if you have your own cup.
Cons
Low pay, bad management, worst healthcare package I've ever seen.
Small company who do not care about the drivers
Tanker Semi Driver (Former Employee) –  Albemarle, NCNovember 15, 2017
Worked here for a bit over a year, was ask to resign because of asking questions about how and why operations within the company were ran like they were. instead of giving explanations to the questions, the owner had a HR representative call me in and ask me to resign.
Pros
Home everyday
Cons
12+ Hours a day, 500+ miles a day with 3-6 stops a day, Very expensive insurance, Very little to no home time (Go home, shower, sleep, go back to work. That fast)
Good place to work especially if you are a person who can work without direct supervison
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Magnolia, ARNovember 7, 2017
I loved the atmosphere at my plant because I planned my work days with the supervision in notes and just knowing my plant and what needed to be done. If I needed additional help on a project, it was easily scheduled. A typical day would be taking samples to the lab to and record results, make rounds checking all equipment through site and sound, house keeping, 5 S duties, run plant by computer.
The hardest part would be during maintenance shut down twice per year locking out all pumps and getting tanks ready for inspection.
Pros
Working without direct supervision, vacation time, rotating schedule
Cons
diversity in co workers who work and the ones who do not.
Good Ole Boy Culture
Environmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 30, 2017
Albemarle is a company rooted in its history and with no desire to grow from that history. The company does no benchmarking of its programs or management systems. Its probably the last company in the world still using Lotus Notes. Its singular focus on one business unit at the expense of all others has put all its eggs in one basket.
great for kids
Asst. manager, (Current Employee) –  Locust, NCOctober 22, 2017
great place for kids to get job skills. its a fun place to work. work not really hard. get great discounts. upper management is great they are willing to work with anyone as long as your willing to learn and work.
Interesting place to work
Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXOctober 20, 2017
There are many new projects with a lot of opportunity for development and engagement on interesting projects and chemistries. There is currently a lot of growth in this industry. Hours can be long without overtime especially around site turnarounds.
Great work environment
Oils Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXOctober 17, 2017
I really enjoyed working here. With the restructure of departments, my position ended. That is the only reason I left. If I were given the chance to go back, I would because the job and employees were fantastic.
Pros
Great people
Cons
restructure and scheduling isn't good
This company does not value employees and does not pay you what your worth!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Carthage, NCOctober 16, 2017
I only recommend this company if you dont have to earn a living...good for someone starting out that doesn't have a family. I have always busted my behind for the company and have yet to get recognized for all that i do. Im a hard worker and this company doesn't take pride. Im over worked and underpaid!
Pros
free fountain drinks or coffee while on the clock as long as you have your own cup
Cons
no lunch breaks only allowed smoke breaks. usually work by yourself
not a employee friendly place
metal casting operator (Current Employee) –  Kings Mountain, NCOctober 15, 2017
if you want any kind of a life don't work here ,very dangerous jobs,pay is great though,change schedule at the drop of a hat,make you comply with stuff,you're not even certified for
Pros
good pay
Cons
difficult schedules, too personally invasive
Place was full of drama queens.
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXSeptember 24, 2017
Every single day was full of drama. People there just can’t go to work and go home without causing a fuss. The manager of the Vespa Unit is an idiot and so is two of the supervisors.
Pros
Money
Cons
People there suck...
Fun Workplace very quiet and clam.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 13, 2017
I was a intern here and everyone was very nice and lovable. They even took me out to lunch for lunch breaks. Friday they had a casual day were you could dress casual and still appropriate to the work place.
Great Benefits
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 12, 2017
Albemarle gave great benefits (medical, dental, vision, etc.) and the ability to work from home 1 day out of the week. The job advancement opportunities have dried up as the company is moving out of state.
Not a good place to work
Pipefitter Helper (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXSeptember 6, 2017
Very unappreciative of there employees. I honestly think they can do a lot more in showing there appreciation especially considering all the safe work man hours that was completed.
Safe environment, felt family oriented
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXAugust 21, 2017
Great place to work. Everyday at Albemarle was a new adventure, always learning something new and interesting. The culture at /albemarle was very safety oriented and management preached the fact that safety is number 1. This is something that I will carry on to my next and evry career. This job also gave me the option to participate on the emergency response team where I was able to learn skills such as CPR and interior fire fighting which is something I have always been interested in. Fire fighting is something I feel we should all know in this specific job field and I am glad I will be able to take these skills elsewhere
Pros
Healthcare and benefits
Cons
working weekends and holidays