Alcoa Culture reviews

Found 227 reviews matching the search See all 1,712 reviews
I learned a lot there
Instrument & Electrical Technician (Former Employee) –  Point Comfort, TXJune 12, 2019
I wish it was still open. I would still be there. I went in as an Electrical Technician and learned Instrumentation. There is a great safe work culture there and a good family work balance.
Pros
Union
Cons
Harsh enviroment
Great place to work, great benefits, great people, great management
SENIOR FOREMAN (Former Employee) –  Plant City, FLJune 7, 2019
Alcoa was a family orientated facility that awarded you for good job, and the atmosphere was great. Alcoa gave me and other management opportunities to go to school, travel for business purposes and always steering you to better yourself.
productive
Laser Welder and Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Branford, CTJune 3, 2019
hours were amazing, benefits were great, people are all team players.
the travel distance was perfect for me to get to work on time.
Vacations were always approved to be with family
Great responsibility sharing
Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZMay 25, 2019
The segregation of activities and responsibilities was great. Great corporation culture
I enjoyed working for Alcoa, I was treated right
The hardest part of the job was when we had to start s job from scratch
Old plant that was not kept up and is now closed
POWERHOUSE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Point Comfort, TXApril 22, 2019
Poor management. No one who was an hourly employee wanted to take a management job due to the fact that they took away benefits and made it difficult to speak your mind. Main management came from plants from other countries who had different work cultures and did not or would not conform to American values.
Pros
Cons
poor management/poor compensation.
Unit Supervisor
Unit Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Warrick County, INApril 16, 2019
I was tasked with starting the day for 40 people, and following these people throughout the day. The hardest part of my job was to keep up with everyone. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to interface with the folks.
Pros
Good pay/benefits.
Cons
Not very family oriented.
Great Company
Controllerships and Business Operations (Former Employee) –  multipleApril 4, 2019
I really enjoyed my time at ALCOA. I still talk about working there positively. I was promoted every 3 years and had a mentor that helped me to improve. I liked the traveling, but when I was ready for staying home more, they worked with me to find the right position. Team work was encouraged and the people I worked with in the teams were positive and helpful.

I know there are certain benefits that have been eliminated or really downsized.
Productive , Goal / Safety oriented,
Operator, Shift and Process Area Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Point Comfort, TXMarch 25, 2019
Safety / Environmental meeting, Production and Maintenance needs for the day. Team members were friendly as well as helpful. Cross training was encouraged. The hardest part of the Job was the rotating Shift.
Summary
EHS - 4-year Internship (Former Employee) –  Gum Springs, ARMarch 4, 2019
Alcoa was a good place to intern. I was trained in a lot of key areas to help determine what my preferences were for work. The managers all were helpful in teaching their area of control
I worked at Arconic not Alcoa
PRODUCTION CONTROL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  La Porte, INMarch 2, 2019
I do not have any knowledge of the work environment at Alcoa. Arconic was a great, challenging place to work. The staff was expert at their job and I learned from all of the employees.
Lay-off every 2years
Visual ll (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAFebruary 15, 2019
Lay-off no job security , and union has changed culture for the worst.I do not recommend this job if you are looking for job security the management and supervision team needs more training
Okay company to retire from
Process Owner (Former Employee) –  Whitehall, MIDecember 31, 2018
Traditional aerospace manufacturing company, the pay is competitive given the low cost of living in the area. Work intensity comes in cycles, typically amount of work would spike at the end of the month or something went wrong. Otherwise it was relaxed and not much going on. Career advancement path was not clear and I have colleagues in the same position for 20+ years, definitely not a company to challenge yourself and move up.
Overall, it was an okay company to retire from.
A+ in Manufacturing
Heat Treat Operator/Flat Sheet Operator (Current Employee) –  Bettendorf, IADecember 13, 2018
Very nice place to work for. Enjoyable atmosphere, management is there to help make sure you work safely. U learn what you make out of your department
Pros
Overtime
Cons
N/a
Poorly managed at current Senior Staff level
SALES DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 11, 2018
Significant management changes recently. Alcoa was spun off from Arconic. Senior Staff is too focused on Quarterly vs long term good of the organization.
Pros
Competitive compensation
Cons
inflexible, too short term focused.
Working at Alcoa
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 11, 2018
Fast paced, safety orientated work. Cost savings, improving production goals (OEE). Troubleshooting equipment dt to root cause. Managed electricians and millwrights exclusively for the last 5 years. Managed production and maintenance for 15 years before that on an off shift. Very satisfying position setting and reaching goals by utilizing hourly for improvement ideas.
Pros
Reacing preset goals
Cons
Not much family time
Mature organization with advancement opportunities
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 9, 2018
I had a great experience at Alcoa. I very much appreciated the maturity of the environment and the organizations. Process/procedure was outstanding and the corporate culture was collaborative. Opportunities for advancement, especially for women, which is rare. Strong leadership focused on the bottom line and understanding their core business.
Pros
Leadership, process, advancement
Cons
commute
good at first
Smelting Shift Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Alcoa, TNDecember 4, 2018
This was a good company to learn how to be a good manager. I had strong leaders that mentored me. As time pasted the company cultured started to change.
Pros
money was good
Cons
culture changed from a team focus to one of having favorites.
Contract Employee
Project Manager (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 30, 2018
I have no complaints on Alcoa aside from the fact they do not like to hire on their contract employees and will keep contractors on for many years but never flip them to perm.
Pros
Management, culture, flexible
Cons
Don't hire on their contractors
loved working there and my colleges and supervisors
wax cell operator/ cell support (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXNovember 26, 2018
I learned so much while being employeed at alcoa. im greatful for vgetting the oppurtunity to work there, made some great friends and we worked as a great team.
Pros
good breakfast, nice coworkers .
Cons
short breaks, some goals were hard to meet on certain parts
Great place
Head Football Coach (Former Employee) –  Alcoa, TNNovember 14, 2018
The main reason I left Alcoa was because of a family tragedy. It was best for my family to move close to my wife's relatives in Jefferson County. Alcoa is a great place!
Pros
Great community support
Cons
No cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alcoa. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.3Fairygodboss Score

43%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

71%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss