ALDI Employee Reviews

Found 2,412 reviews matching the search See all 4,148 reviews
Fast paced work environment.
Shift Manager In Training (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDAugust 18, 2018
Very fast paced work environment. I learned a lot about the ins and outs of working at a grocery store. Great benefits. Great managers. I would definitely recommend this company to anyone looking for a job.
Fast Pace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 17, 2018
Great job, the benefit package alone is amazing. Guaranteed vacation package flexible hours. one of the greatest work experiences I've ever had. I highly recommend this company.
Hard work but worth it
Assistant store manager (Former Employee) –  Pewaukee, WIAugust 17, 2018
You can expect a lot of overtime hours. Be ready to use your back during this job but if you work hard enough, the company will allow you to advance as fast as you're willing to work for it.
Not a good work/ life balance
CASHIER ASSOCIATE/ SHIFT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 17, 2018
You are given unrealistic expectations to complete work
Management is pressured to pressure its employees with termination with every personal or work related issue
District managers do not look out for the best interest of its employees ( you are just another face in a see of faces in many stores under their supervision)
Advancement is not determined by your skills but how must you work like a slave and can take criticism unwarranted or not.

EVERYONE IS REPLACEABLE which is why Aldi has and maintains a high turn over rate and is constantly hiring.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
short breaks no team work
Productive place
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Norristown, PA 19401August 16, 2018
Working at Aldi has been a wonderful experience.

Had so many excellent experiences with customers.
Management and fellow employees are great.

Hardest part is operating heavy equipment.
Pros
Good communication among staff
Cons
short breaks
Very fast paced but well paid job
Store Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTAugust 16, 2018
From my experience, I had a good time working with this company. The pay was good, my coworkers were friendly as well as the managers. Sometimes In certain locations the job can get very stressful and exhausting.
Pros
Benefits and good pay
Cons
Long hours and a lot of physical labor
very fast paced
Shift manager (Former Employee) –  Carthage, MOAugust 16, 2018
very fast paced work environment where everything is based on how quickly it can be done. Training is designed to teach you how to stock shelves and put things in carts to where you don't hurt yourself.
Pros
learned how to handle money and do EVERYTHING quickly
Cons
everything is based on how quickly it can be done.
Do not work here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIAugust 16, 2018
Give yourself a favor and STAY AWAY from working here, I would like to say a word that describe the work at ALDI (BATMAN or SUPERMAN) which they expect you to be a superman to do everything in store! when you start your shift, you will have to stock the shelves and freezers and taking the empty boxes and break them and then cashier BUT DONT BE HAPPY WHEN I SAID CASHIER Because they want to see you working really fast and if you have NO customers at that moment NO PROBLEM they will close your line and tell you immediately to do something. everyone who work here should get pay at least 16 dollars to do all that job otherwise NO WAY
Great place
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Royal Palm Beach, FLAugust 16, 2018
Aldi did everything right. Made sure we was happy and we was taken care of. Amazing people and staff.
Wonderful place to work and to grow as a person.
They work their employees to death.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clifton, NJAugust 15, 2018
Examples of how they treat their employees:

1) Within the first five hours of someone's shift they quit.

2) I worked an eleven hour shift with only myself and the manager. Only scheduling two people to run a big grocery store is asinine. As of right now, the company is going through multiple lawsuit from former employees who were forced to work through their breaks, work through injuries, and ignoring worker exhaustion. They purposely hire less people so that the company can save a few bucks. It's a running gag around the neighborhood of the store I worked for that it would be easier to cement the HELP WANTED sign then to ever take it down.

3) I worked a typical night shift. Usually scheduled to work from 3 to 10, but you wouldn't leave until 11;30. And if you happen to go over your overtime hours, the managers would tell you to clock out and to continue working.

4) They throw away good products all the time. If the boxes are wrinkled or have a cut on them we were told to take them off the sales floor and throw them away. When I brought up the idea of donating these usable products to a shelter or a food kitchen, I was given a long-winded speech from the district manager about how the company would lose money and could possibly get sued (?). It was better for them to throw perfectly good products than to give them to people who need it the most.

4) They have a constant rotation of subpar District Managers that usually quit within 4 to 8 months. Each one more helpless and narcissistic than the last.

5) It's exhausting back-breaking labor that they expect
  more... you to smile through and it's insulting.  less
Pros
Healthcare if you are full-time. Quitting was a definite positive.
Cons
Clueless management treats you like dirt, the endless labor, and the horrible scheduling.
Not a career job.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Schiller Park, ILAugust 14, 2018
Difficult to receive advancements within the company. Upon applying I felt I was qualified to be a shift supervisor, but store management did not take time to train or care to start my advancement process.
Pros
Competitive benefits.
Cons
Short shifts, short breaks.
Great.
Store Associate (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  North Bergen, NJAugust 14, 2018
Great job to start gaining experience. Would recommend this job to anyone that just graduated high school and needs the extra money. The pay is good and coworkers were nice.
Ideal job
Customer Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXAugust 14, 2018
A Typical day at work was inventory, stocking shelves, cleaning the front of the store. Management was always available and assisting us throughout the day.
Productive, fast pace.
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Seneca, SCAugust 14, 2018
Job is extremely fast pace. Company gets it moneys worth out of employees. High turnover rate. Team you work with will become your family. In order for the store to run efficiently all members must work together.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Short breaks, job/family time ratio.
Good place to start, horrible place to continue
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Batavia, ILAugust 13, 2018
Aldi is a great place to start your career but is very difficult to leave due to their practices.

They pay great for your title but your job duties greatly exceed your job title. This makes it difficult to find a different job when you realize your morales no longer align with ALDI.

Insurance keeps getting worse. Several people have had to pay medical specialists up front due to high deductible.

You never know what you will get with management. Managers do what they want with no repercussions. Very political and cult-like. Your future depends on who likes you, not your skills and abilities. Advice for employees: brown nose your manager and you will get far. Managers have made grave mistakes and directors give them excuses. In many years of being with ALDI I have only seen one manager leave the company. Statistically it shows the difference of value put into staff.

ALDI is starting to be a revolving door. Knowledge is being lost and employees are starting to realize the toxic environment.

Advice: directors should talk with employees without management. Management is the problem. Directors should be more involved with employees to know what is really going wrong.
Pros
Stocked lunch rooms, community engagement
Cons
Job titles do not reflect your duties, management, work life balance
High stress, but decent benefits
Stocker/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Baldwinsville, NYAugust 12, 2018
It can be a decent job for the right person. There is little opportunity for advancement from my experience. A promotion is not a fixed deal. You may be an Assistant Manager, but only get the high pay if that is your assigned role for that day. Which means if you could be working 5 days a week but only 1 or 2 as an assistant manager with the higher pay. Otherwise you make the standard pay. They are also not great at promoting from within. You have to be available for all hours and hours fluctuate day to day. Meaning you might work Sunday to 10 pm and have to show up Monday at 6 am. This happens a lot.

When I started I got a lot of hours in and was getting overtime every few weeks or so. Then something changed and they had less hours available, meaning my coworkers and I though full time employees were getting 30 hours a week and when a coworker raised a complaint was told off by higher management.

I have never seen so much discouragement in the workplace as I have here.

Everything you do is timed, constantly putting the pressure on. The short staffing means you can be running a major grocery store packed with customers on the weekends with only 3 employees on staff.
Pros
benefits and slightly better pay than similar businesses
Cons
Stressful environment, physically exhausting, discouraging management.
Aldi Life
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INAugust 11, 2018
I loved working for Aldi, I learned a ton about efficiency, accuracy and quality. The people I worked with and for were awesome and very helpful. The hardest part of the job was getting a strategy of your own that you were okay with.
Stressful work environment
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Lumberton, NJAugust 11, 2018
The pay is good and you are never bored. Promotion opportunities are dangled in front of you and as long as you don't challenge anything or get hurt you might fully advance.
Pros
Christmas parties, competitive pay, challenging
Cons
Alot of picking up slack for those around you. Short staffed. Unrealistic goals at times.
aldi
Shift manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 11, 2018
The hours at my location were flexible. I was at a training store where we had trainees come through often. It was fun having most of the time. You do work hard for your money.
Cold culture, obvious hierarchy, stressful
Assistant Buyer (Current Employee) –  Batavia, ILAugust 11, 2018
It is dependent on the commodities and director you have. As long as both of those things are good then it can make the job a little easier. It can be extremely stressful with high expectations but there is little to advancement opportunities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALDI. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K
31K

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight