ALDI logo

Work-Life Balance
Pay & Benefits

Found 2,279 reviews matching the searchSee all 8,011 reviews

Great salary and Benefits

A typical day at Aldi consists of an 8 to 9 hour shift, during which you operate the cash register, provide excellent and efficient customer service, stock the shelves, clean and much more. Co workers are friendly and team work is highly encouraged. The management system is a typical corporate chain of command. The hardest part of the job is throwing the truck at 20 minutes per pallet. The most enjoyable part of the job is the paid holidays, vacation, sick leave and personal days.

Pros

Higher than average salary, medical benefits, paid vacation and holidays

Cons

Short breaks, long and hard work days

The good the bad and the ugly

Underpaid, overworked and stressed out employees is the norm. The company model is to work in small teams of (2-4), even with the massive growth in sales due to Covid-19. The benefits for FT employees (30+ hrs) are excellent in coverage and for the 7 paid holidays but otherwise the cons outweigh the perks by a longshot. Employees are expected to do cashiering, custodial work, customer service, stocking, Q. A., loss prevention etc. while being timed on everything due to micro-managing. The job is extremely physical, which comes with the consequences of injury on the job (happens all the time). Also, no perks like free snacks at work or employee discounts. Expect to be on call at all times, most stores have issues with high turnover (block calls when off). They will call or text you to ask for help at other stores and bribe you with extra money, mileage or dinner on them. If you don't mind working double shifts or having zero day's off, have at it. There is a high cost though, your health and body. Burn out is quick and easy, which pushes the turnover rate higher, employees barely last 1.5 yr now. If you accept a position, opt-out of 401K immediately, unless you plan to stay 5 years with the company. 401k is matched up to 5% but will not be fully paid out/vested until 5 years of employment. The work culture is competitive, toxic and cliquish. Expect unrealistic expectations from corporate and the mishandling by management in communication and responsibility.

Pros

Benefits (30 +hours to qualify), paid holiday work hours

Cons

Interrupted short breaks of 30 min or less, terrible training, extreme micro-managing, no set schedule, unrealistic expectations, etc.

Poorly kept promises of advancement

Management constantly promising promotions and better pay but it will never come. The managers who get paid much more than associates are constantly doing associate jobs and tasks leaving the lower paid associates to get everything done THEN understaffing the store in purpose so they can get their bonuses. Bad company to work for.

Pros

Paid breaks

Cons

No discounts

N/a

Was an okay job. Don’t really have much to say about it other than if you want something reliable this isn’t it because managers adjust your hours so often

Good if you’re in school or just want to clock in/out

It’s a physically hard job, but pretty easy once you get used to it. There’s really no chance of promotions unless someone quits or they open a new store, even then they might decide to hire from outside the company. Benefits are good at least, but only if you’re full-time. Part time employees don’t accrue sick/vacation time either.

Pros

Good benefits, paid breaks

Cons

No employee discounts, no healthcare for part time

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

Okay, but needs work

Overall I suppose you could find worse work. But if you're looking for consistenct then do NOT apply to this job. The schedule constantly changes, one day I work 2pm-9pm the next I work 6am-1pm. There is literally no work/life "balance" here. I usually request off weekends months in advance just so I can spend time with friends/family. Just makes it easier to get together that way. Also, Aldi likes to run its stores at bareminimum workforce, meaning you're always scrambling between cashiering and whatever department you're in charge of that day. Stocking in the mornings is probably the best part of the job solely because you have 3 hours of no customers and just get to work without interruption. A lot of the standards that the company wants you to follow are almost impossible to keep due to the low staffing and general madness in the stores at times.

Pros

Decent pay for the work, Full Benefits for full time employees

Cons

Worker shortage, Constant interruption, No Work/Life balance

Productive, Laborar, fun place

Is a productive and challenging place. Is a work hard environment but at the same time you can enjoy your time with customers and co-workers. They have a great benefits package. The schedule can be discussed with manager.

Pros

Great Benefits

Cons

Better Management and

Productive and fun workplace.

Good environment. If you have part-time hours they are pretty flexible but if you are a full-time employee then you are considering on-call for traveling to tail locations. This means sometimes having to cancel appointments & whatnot at the last minute.

Good management, challenging pace

Aldi hires some of the nicest and most hardworking people I've ever met. Everyone is good to you, and managers will actively praise you for working hard. Diversity is welcomed and you're bound to meet a lot of open-minded and respectful people. However, the work is challenging - you must always meet time and efficiency goals that are very difficult to achieve and maintain... And customers don't really see you as a human who messes up once in a while when that muscle memory falters. There is rarely ever a slow moment, and you go home tired.Overall one of the best retail environments I've worked in, but like every store, customers aren't the nicest and the work can get rough. But, being able to make friends with your coworkers, feeling appreciated all the time, and being told when you're doing a good job makes it much lighter.

Pros

Great team, great managers, inclusive environment, decent pay for PT but not a living wage

Cons

Intense pace, customers can be unforgiving

Hard work

Hard work and they don't start you off at pay they say. Very hard to move up in the company. May have to travel to bother stores if they are short on staff

Jobs at ALDI

See more jobs

Stressful all the time, unsupportive staff/mgmt

Not worth it unless you want to manage or run your own store where you are decently compensated. Unruly and often abusive clientele, zero support from management. Most of the staff I encountered were cut-throat competitive and borderline abusive for some reason which adds to the stress. Huntersville, NC store had very little concern for employee health, safety or well being, Clearwater, FL store had much better management but the company overall does not seem to care at all for employees. Benefits, scheduling and pay are sub-par.

Pros

Fast-paced and never boring, love to shop there (however never time to do so on shift day)

Cons

Most everything else, esp work-life balance with very erratic scheduling

Horrible job opportunity. RUN AWAY

Very toxic work environment. They will present a wonderful compensation structure, but it is all for a price. If you love getting called every night while sleeping, strict on when you can utilize vacations, and a regular work week of 70 hours, then this is the place for you to work. As a added bonus, your DOO will be breathing down your neck and micro managing you all the time. If I were you, I would run away from this company as fast as you can.

Pros

85k starting, car, benefits

Cons

On call, horrible work life balance, micro management

Decent Pay.. Poor Work Lifestyle

Even though Aldi pays a decent amount, it can get a little overwhelming at times. Management has a “my way or the highway” attitude about things. It is most definitely a double standard displayed throughout different Store Associates.

Good pay but you are constantly hassled.

People are nice and pay is good. Besides that the management and nature of the job are horrible. Almost no pathway to advance. Favoritism is rampant and you will be constantly hassled to make a pick rate that is next to impossible to do day in and day out. If you are 30+ and have a family save yourself some time and your back and look elsewhere. I wouldn’t recommend this job to anyone.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Everything else

Stable company to work for but short staffed and stressful

Work with a “skeleton crew” so it’s a huge inconvenience if someone is sick or calls in. Have to train people that are making more money than you. Very physical. Used to pay above average pay but has not scaled up as minimum wage increases

Pros

Team like environment

Cons

Short staffed

They work you like a dog

I worked at Aldi for 5 years. The first year I was quickly moved up to a shift manager. That gave me an additional 4.00 per hour. The bad thing was I would only get that additional 4.00 per hour when I was working as a manager. Many times I was paid the lower rate, but still doing manager work.

Cons

hardly any breaks, very hard/physical work all day long

Hard work, demanding

I did not like working for aldi. The manager was difficult to work with Aldi with the other “privileged” employees. I did not like working the weekends and my manager taking off when she felt like it and coming to work hung over.

Pros

401k, benefits

Cons

Employee’s, managers, rude

Good workplace with good coworkers

I enjoyed my job at ALDI for the 10 months I worked there. The company is good and the job wasn’t overly hard. The pay was adequate and the benefits are great if you want them. It’s a tight knit workplace because you don’t have many coworkers. I was the only guy there and all the wonderful ladies I worked with worked just as hard and even harder than I could. If you want to work, do your best, and build relationships with great people this is the company for you.

Pros

Pay, coworkers, benefits, management

Cons

Your pay does top out rather quickly

Aldi Aldi Aldi.

Well for starters, I have been with the company for 8 years. It was a great company to work for started out paying more than the other grocery stores out there and most businesses. The hard labor was worth it but over the years it’s changed completely...pay is below all the competitors out there...more work load and task to complete with not enough time and workers...very little appreciation.no bonus. No parties or anything to show some employee appreciation! Just a “thanks and you’re doing such a good job”

Pros

Insurance

Cons

No employee appreciation, no work/life balance

Fast-paced workplace that preaches, but doesn't practice.

I worked at Aldi for 2 years, and it was overall a decent experience. If you want advancement, the company tells you that it exists, but doesn't offer it to those who ask. You will be doing the same tasks daily, and there's not alot to learn if you don't advance. It's grunt work, but the pay is decent if you moving up in the company isn't a goal for you.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Everything else

Surprisingly terrible

I was told that part-time would get 30 hrs a week and all of us were getting 12. They schedule the bare minimum amount of people to get a lot of work done which stresses me and the managers out. Managers also get annoyed when you ask them how to do something and just do it for you rather than show you how to do it most of the time.

Pros

Cons

Aldi

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALDI. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.9K

Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at ALDI.
Powered byComparably