Aleris Employee Reviews

Only lasted 3 weeks
Electrical Supervisor - Finishing (Former Employee) –  Lewisport, KYJune 9, 2018
The first two weeks was in orientation, but once you get in the plant, real life starts and everything you were told in orientation is a lie, guess that's the reason they have such a hard time keeping anyone in maintenance management.
Basically there is tons of paper work you fill out, with most no one reads, you are expected to know just about everything in your first week
Pros
Cons
To many to list...
Accountability lacks
Lead man (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMay 21, 2018
The guys you work with are good.. The company lacks accountability for hourly and management, makes following through tough and change even harder. There is great promise but you need the right leaders for that to change.
Pros
Fairly clean environment
Cons
Atmosphere is demanding and the expectation is to send many hours at work
Nice Place
Mechanical Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Lewisport, KYMay 16, 2018
The work there was very good and challenging, presenting new opportunities for learning and growth, but most progress is stifled by the union there. Whenever an idea was presented that could help production but was a major change it was instantly shot down for putting union workers jobs in jeopardy, which was simply not true. Probably a better place for the hourly people than salary.
Pros
Great work, great employees
Cons
Union
Spotty
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lewisport, KYMay 1, 2018
Top heavy management / company. Difficult to get anything done. Resistant to change.

People spend half their day making reports that no one reads. Union runs the plant.

People look out for themselves and try to steal credit. Only the loudest people get any attention. Sometimes a gotcha culture between departments.

Plant is about 10 - 15 years behind the industry except for the new part.
Pros
Not too demanding.
Cons
Horrible health care plan--high deductible with high premiums.
Productive and Fast Paced Company
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 23, 2018
Aleris is a great place to work right now due to the fast pace and growing nature. Employees may work long hours, but time flies because of all of the wonderful people who work here. Benefits are a little expensive, but they offer different incentives to bring deductibles down!
Pros
Summer Hours, People, Culture
Cons
Long days- sometimes
Never a Bad Day
Contract Capital Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Lewisport, KYApril 22, 2018
I never had a bad day at Aleris. The work was exciting and fast paced. Days went quick. Very enjoyable experience. The work was challenging and I enjoyed the people I worked with.
Pros
Excellent Work - Interesting
Cons
Long Drive from Home
Management could be improved
Line Operator (Current Employee) –  Ashville, OHMarch 7, 2018
I enjoy working for this company, good benefits, paid vacation. Chances to win incentives with safety checks, very safe place to work for. Rewarded for quality and production. Some supervisors are very impersonal (not a people person).
Pros
Catered dinners for holidays or recognition
Cons
quick paced work, no breaks, bad supervisors
A lot of good incentives
Furnace operator (Former Employee) –  Richmond VirginiaMarch 5, 2018
Hot environment long hours good pay plenty of overtime good benefits not hard work 60 plus hours a week shut down for two weeks during winter months . Union job
Very very poor managment and staff
Operator (Current Employee) –  Lincolnshire, ILFebruary 12, 2018
Place is full of favoritism
Management is very low skilled at what they do
No chance to move up in company and the managers are all scared to lose their own jobs
Very poor social environment / not friendly

Low pay
Verrrrrry low moral spreading like a virus !!!

Very HOT. Heavy clothing. Bunch of worthless useless rules

If you want a job that treats you worse then prison. Fill out a resume.

But if you want a good environment good people good pay and a good social place. Look else where.

So many things I can say about this place.

Every year it gets worse and worse.
Pros
Pros ? What pros
Cons
Cons To many to list
Productive and fast paced
Quality Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJanuary 25, 2018
Great teams to work with. Very friendly environment. This is a fast passed paced place but a super safe environment. They treat the work force with lunches and encourage involvement from all members of the work force in meetings. Safety is a huge focus!
70 hours plus a week every week
Leadman/Casthouse operator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 25, 2018
Worked in richmond casthiuse very hot in summer commin winter... work everyday your married to the job... management terrible... the union sucks terrible also.....
Pros
Cons
Everything 72 to 84 hours a week 12 hoirs a day 6 to 7 days a week every week
Furnace Operator (Former Employee) –  Coldwater, MIJanuary 19, 2018
If you can handel the heat its a good place to work. They poor molten metal so it gets very hot , there big on saftey and in that enviorment thats good
Fast paced work environment
Driver/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Friendly, WV 26146January 16, 2018
This is a 12 hour per shift job. It is an aluminum recycling plant. It is very dirty and hot in the summer. They provide you with uniforms. This is a non-union plant.
Pros
Uniforms provided
Cons
Non-union plant
was not happy going in. cutthroat atmosphere.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Walton Hills, OHJanuary 14, 2018
Aleris plant where I worked was all show but no doing. Advancements were given because of race complaints from union at times and the acceptance of workers reporting off, stealing and other things made supervising extremely difficult.
Pros
Cons
no management support
It is a great company to work for.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ashville, OHJanuary 4, 2018
I'm just not happy with the new management for my department. He continues to put people down all the time and can never tell you good job when you have truly done a good job.
Stagnant Work Environment
Marketing Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh-Durham, NCDecember 29, 2017
Very stressful! I had to self manage and felt undermined by immediate manager for a long time. There was much rollover with my managers management. Our marketing department was only tolerated, despite the hard work we did. I would rather face unemployment than to continue to work for this company. They overspend in excess for self serving executives, and under-spend for middle management hires and employee advancement and education. Poor organizational structure and stability. Great potential, chosen, systematic, motivational fail.
Pros
Wonderful salary and benefits
Cons
Horrible work life balance and employees are valued very low!
Loved working there!
Supply Chain Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IADecember 28, 2017
Loved everything about this job, the people and the work itself. only left because my husband and I both worked there and thought we shouldn’t have ‘all our eggs in one basket’
Metals Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Coldwater, MIDecember 12, 2017
Lots of room for movement within the company. The general work environment is very hot dirty and dangerous being an aluminum smelting manufacturing facility.
Pros
Good employees
Cons
Dangerous
laid back
Equipment Operator / Furnace Operator (Former Employee) –  Uhrichsville, OHNovember 12, 2017
laid back lots of different jobs alot of different equipment to run. slightly dangerous you are wotking with molten aluminium. lots of layoffs but i would work there again
Pros
great compensation
Cons
swing shift
Intern
Information Technology Intern (Current Employee) –  Beachwood, OHOctober 25, 2017
I enjoyed my time as an information technology intern at Aleris. As an intern I was not given many responsibilities, but I valued everyone I was given.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aleris. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.4InHerSight Score

1.5Personal Development

1.1Career Opportunities

1.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight