Alfred University Employee Reviews

Beautiful place to be
Assistant Women's Lacrosse Coach (Former Employee) –  Alfred, NYJune 2, 2018
Alfred is a unique place all in its own. As a graduate they offered for e to stay and fill in a temporary coaching spot which I throughly enjoyed doing. If they had more money and a full time spot to offer I would stay.
fun workplace
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Alfred, NYMay 8, 2018
this job helps give a person responsibility in a relatively safe environment, while not being overly stressful since there aren't that many swimmers a shift to watch.
Pros
good experience
Cons
sometimes slow and boring
Excellent colleagues and leadership
President, 2000-2016 (Former Employee) –  Alfred, NYMarch 10, 2018
Alfred University was an island of stability in a region suffering from great economic stress. Its employees are hard working and colleagial. The institution is well managed financially and has benefited from disciplined leadership that avoided budgetary pitfalls and maintained significant job security in an era where retrenchment at comparable institutions was common.
Pros
Excellent work force.
Cons
Remote locations
Want to be paid minimum wage
Wellness Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Alfred, NYFebruary 18, 2018
Work is easy, nice. But we don't get paid minimum wage as students and even though it's a law, it's not fair. I wish we would, even after talking to HR and they will not consider changing it.
Great Team Orientented enviroment
HEAD MEN'S AND WOMEN'S TENNIS COACH (Current Employee) –  Alfred, NYFebruary 7, 2018
I personally love the environment here at Alfred University. Everyone here cares for the students futures and wishes them to succeed. The athletics management has improved tremendously since I was a student-athlete.
Too Competitive
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Alfred, NY 14802February 5, 2018
The workers were too competitive with each other and instead of helping each other they hurt each other. The job was slow paced and non-rewarding to the person in the position.
Good advancement possibility but low pay
Secretary, Directors of Development (Current Employee) –  Alfred, NYJanuary 26, 2018
AU is a good place to work as far as the environment and the benefits after one year of service but they expect a lot from an employee as far as work and dedication while paying as little as they can. Clean environment, okay people to work with and for. The only real dislike I have is that most "support staff" are getting paid minimum wage and it is hard to live on minimum wage for the experience we are bringing to the table.
Pros
Benefit package, vacation & sick & holiday time is good.
Cons
Has Insurance but very expensive. Only get 35 hrs a week and low pay.
really slow day
Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Alfred, NYDecember 5, 2017
-typical work
-time goes by slow
-manager is nice
-I could use more hours
-Pay could be better
-good job to have while in school
-Flexible hours
-a good job to keep
Good with time off for family
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Alfred, NYOctober 13, 2017
I enjoy working here at Alfred university its a very relaxed environment and the workers are great. I would likely recommend a friend to work here if they didn't mine the low pay and basically no room for any advancements in certain departments but they do offer health insurance and other perks but as a family of five $20,000 a year is unrealistic.
Benefits
Cons
Understaffed and under paid
Decent Undergrad summer work
Research Assistant (Physics) (Former Employee) –  Alfred, NYSeptember 30, 2017
Decent work schedule, lots of fun working with professors. Severely underpaid (controlled completely by the university, pay was capped at $2/hr over minimum wage)
Graduate Assistant to Director (Former Employee) –  Alfred, NYSeptember 30, 2017
As assistant to the MBA director, I completed multiple organizational tasks. I prepared multiple folders and information packets for my boss, after thorough research. Additionally when required, I handled TA roles and assisted with grading.
Friendly people and room to learn new skills
Administrative Assistant, Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Alfred, NYJuly 27, 2017
Working at Alfred, I found a love for working in University settings. I enjoyed the people and how they really cared about your future and potential future advancement. They helped teach me new skills that will help me with future jobs.
Alfred University Resident life
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alfred, NYJune 27, 2017
Hard working engaging atmosphere. Resident Assistance were constantly pushed to their fullest potential. My responsibilities entailed, floor supervision, social programing using a developmental model, trouble shooting, incident reporting and peer counseling.
great place to work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alfred, NYJune 22, 2017
excellent place to learn., This university provided me with all of the necessary life skills to succeed. Bless all the employees there because this university has their workforce down.
Tough sell to prospective players
Grad Assistant Coach Women's Basketball (Former Employee) –  Alfred, NYJune 11, 2017
The coaching staff tried very hard, but underachieved. Tough place to recruit students to. Out in the middle of nowhere in western ny. Biggest city around the school is Hornell, NY. Unless the recruits are interested in Art or Engineering you really don't have a competitive edge over other schools in the conference or in general. Girls try hard and do care. Are genuinely coachable, just not as talented as the competition. Program doesn't have a history of success so you can't use that as a selling point either. Facilities are being updated but are still rather antiquated.
Pros
Good experience, Staff and Management were supportive
Cons
Poor quality of players and facilites
Crazy snow drifts
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Alfred, NYJune 6, 2017
The Alfred University Equestrian Center has some of the craziest snow drifts I've ever seen. There have been days where it takes hours to dig just the doors out, only to have them drift back in 20 minutes later!
A preview of my life as a full-time employee
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alfred, NYMay 24, 2017
Although I was employed as a Graduate Assistant, I was able to get a better understanding of what is expected and required of an exceptional employee.

I am grateful for this opportunity because it better prepared me for the tasks and challenges that I will encounter as a full time employee!
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alfred, NYMay 10, 2017
Great work place. I learned so much from the supportive administration of Alfred University as their work ethic is suburb. I enjoyed my time at the school.
Productive and student friendly environment
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alfred, NYMay 5, 2017
Since it is a college campus, the environment has to remain student friendly. Everyone there is very understanding of the impact that student life has on someones work performance.
Great Job
Game Day Operations (Former Employee) –  Alfred, NYMay 4, 2017
Very rewarding job. The pay was minimum, however the people were all very nice. I got to work will all of the sports teams, which was very enjoyable. It was hard work some days, however the boss is more than willing to work around your class schedule.