Alion Science and Technology Employee Reviews

Headed Back In The Right Direction
SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutDecember 11, 2018
The former CEO drove the company to financial ruin depleting the value of employee owned stock. With the take over by Veritas, the new CEO is trying to restore the company.
The work can be interesting and appropriate salaries. Benefits were reduced during the financial turmoil and not competitive in the industry. Corporate management is abysmal and human resources is not responsive to employees.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Mediocre company
Management lacks trust and is only concerned with their own career advancement and stability
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Annapolis Junction, MDDecember 7, 2018
Management will go through loops and bounds to protect their own interest and career advancement and will use corporate politics for such agenda as well as discredit and belittle employees.
Pros
Great company benefits. Flexible on work schedule or working remotely.
Cons
Lack of exemplary leadership and management
Great atmosphere/ Limited opportunity for advancement
Acquisition Analyst ASC. (Current Employee) –  Washington DCJune 19, 2018
I have enjoyed working here with the people and my team for three years. However, I have been"promoted" 2 times to leadership positions with more responsibilities without the company changing my job title. I have been trying for almost two years to get my job title changed to reflect the work that I do on a daily basis to no avail. This company acquires young talented hard workers and takes advantage of the initial salary agreements to get the lowest possible rate for their work. They will promise time and time again that as long as you do the work they will find a way to compensate. However, the turnover rate for the program level management has been so frequent that it has been extremely hard to develop a working relationship that portrays actual duties to the level that warrants a "promotion". I am well below the national average and the DC local average for the support that I provide for this company.
Flexible place to work at. No micromanagement. Everyone comes in when they can and work when they can. Very open space for socialization.
Military Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington Navy Yard, DCJune 5, 2018
A typical day at work starts with checking emails and continuing with work, socializing with coworkers and having small talks around the cubicles. People learn from each other and new tasks. The management looks very busy most of the time, but always available for employees. The hardest part of the job it seems to walk less than a mile to go visit and assist the client, for me it is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Walk to visit the client, shuttle bus, flexbility.
Cons
Low salary
Valuable work experience ruined by management
Software Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 9, 2018
The best parts of the position are respectable salary and an honestly great benefits package. However, these things are easily acquired at other similar positions in the area and don't make up for the toxic culture.

The co-workers are great people but the supervisors and management expose the company's value perception over actual merit. Virtually no chance of job advancement or even a simple raise because of their budget allocation. Minimal at best downward loyalty from higher-ups. Direct supervisors are notoriously difficult to work with and have no qualms with using intimidation as a tool to get their way.

There are several different companies that operate on the same street corner that do the same kind of work with the same qualifications who offer better salary and likely better work culture.
Pros
Good benefits, decent salary, friendly co-workers
Cons
Manipulative management, no job advancement, unclear expectations
Company is making a turn around for the better
Deputy Program Manager, International Programs (Current Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCJune 10, 2018
New management from the top down seems to be turning around the company for the better. More inclusive of employees than before, but still too heavy on the number of managers. HR is not the best and must be prompted to do perform their responsibilities in a timely manner.
Pros
great team to work with
Cons
compensation is still lacking and it's hard to retain younger employees because of the low pay
Project Administrator
Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  Rome, NYAugust 28, 2018
Weak Management with internal organization and oversight lacking. Good benefits and decent pay, but not for those who want rewarding experiences or recognition for achievements.
Miserable place to work
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 3, 2018
Lack of direction. "Training" does not exist. Poor pay and bottom
of the barrel raises. Management is poor. They take no responsibility for there actions and are quick to blame others under them. Disgusting work conditions. Equipment is one step above tube technology. "Yearly reviews" are a joke. The really sad part is I worked with really good people. But they got tired of being passed over for raises and the rotten way they where treated and found better positions elsewhere.
Pros
It was a paycheck.
Cons
Poor management, work condtions, salary.
Alion use to be great
Customer Support (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 17, 2018
Once upon a time Alion was an enjoyable place to work but the last 2 - 2 1/2 years have been horrible. They were in so much debt they cut a lot of people and GOOD managers! They were brought by an investment company and did a complete reorg! He changes have been horrible from the management to the benefits. No more holiday parties, no more family picnics, no more work sponsored events such as Our Military Kids. The morale is poor. No one wants to be there they just show up because it's a pay check. If you're not billable your job is not safe. The benefits have changed drastically and are expensive. I would think twice before joining Alion!
Pros
Work load, work life balance
Cons
Expensive Healthcare, Poor Management, Poor Raises
excellent
Engineer Technician SR (Current Employee) –  Newport, RIJuly 9, 2018
A very good Company,excellent work environment, great coworkers and supervisors all very helpful and friendly.Great leadership.My work was always appreciated.
benefits
Cons
work depends on government contract funds
great place to work
Biologist (Former Employee) –  Warrenville, ILMay 9, 2018
Good benefits and really nice coworkers. Management had a good understanding and pushed for a work life balance. Allowed to work from home on occasion
Good first job as Analyst
Senior Military Analyst (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VANovember 18, 2017
The peopel at Alion were friendl but distant. Wasn't able to connect with co-workers much. Salary was slightly below average I think but a good copany to try and break into the Contracting world, but not a lot of potential for career advancement. PTO was good or slightly above average. No pressure from managers /supervisors if you had appointments scheduled during the work shift. They allowed you to make up the time during the week or pay period. Biggest obstacle employees face is that their is virtually no career advancement within the company, I believe that stifles motivation and work production over time. I would still give the compant a decnt rating because it was a pretty laid back environment if that is what you seek.
Pros
Relaxed work place
Cons
Job Advancement
It is a job
Lead Electrical electronic engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 9, 2018
Not a lot of support from management, no communication from office. No advancement guidelines with no real promotion available. No boss letting you know of promotions available.
Pros
Management leave you alone
Cons
low pay, no support.
Good to get your foot in the door
Associate Program Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 16, 2018
Alion is good for getting your foot in the door. However, it lives up to its reputation of low pay, poor management, and no career advancement. You have to threaten to leave in order to get a raise or get promoted.
many new responsiblities and learning experiences
Training Developer/Writer (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJuly 26, 2018
Every day is a new experience due to the fact that i am working on a government contract and there are many different responsibilities on the contract and i help in several different areas, the company allows me to use my experience and different skill sets to assist in several parts of the contract. The management has a great amount of experience working on government contracts and they allow me to work in areas that i did not apply for, but they are more than willing to assist me and make sure that i am performing all task properly. The hardest thing is to keep up with the changing regulations but i have realized the more research i do the easy it is. I really enjoy the many different area that i have worked in including thing that i have never done before, this job has assisted me in understanding government contract, and how to work hand in hand with the government personnel.
Pros
learning new positions
Cons
working with some of the sub-contractor that have less experience
Alion Science and Technology is an outstanding company.
LVC-IA Senior Systems Engineer and Site Lead (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 20, 2018
Alion Science and Technology is an outstanding company. It provided me with travel opportunities, training, and career progression. I loved working at this company but unfortunately the contract I worked for came to an end. I would love to work for Alion again!
Good company, great benefits
Logistics/Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Hueneme CBC Base, CA2March 20, 2018
Enjoyed working for Alion in the Port Huneme office! Was there 15 years. Would definitely work for them in the future if the opportunity arose. Excellent benefits at the time
It was a good company to work for
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Point Loma, CAFebruary 20, 2018
Manage systems for the Navy
Learned to manage and maintain a small domain
Everyone was professional and friendly
The hardest part was being 2000 miles away from the home office
Excellent benefits were provided with minimal co-pay
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
The contract lost it's funding
Generally productive environment
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAJanuary 4, 2019
Employees worked well together in a friendly environment. Tasks were clear and goals obtainable within a clean office environment. New employees were brought in with little guidance.
Pros
Collegial atmosphere
Cons
Management was short sighted and did not support employees.
Poor Structure and and Poor Management
Alion Science Technology, Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 16, 2017
Employees are inconvenienced by company experiencing financial deficits, which derives being faced by the employees because of poor working conditions. Our repeated verbal complaints about the inadequate, raises, no training, and costly benefits, etcs in our Department have yielded no results. I am sure one can understand how this can affect the work productivity of the team.
Pros
Worklife Balance
Cons
No Growth, No Training, No Salary Increase, Bad Rapport